anyone has insomnia

The most important thing I learned in my course is to remind yourself that what you're going through is completely normal. That knowledge alone was worth it. Don't tell yourself that you won't get to sleep, remember that you CAN get to sleep. Stop the negative thoughts and concentrate on changing them to positive thoughts. It might take a little while, but eventually you can stop having those thoughts entirely. Don't look at your bed as the enemy, but as a comfortable friend.

Get into a regular sleep rhythm. Go to bed at the same time and get up at the same time. Train yourself to do that even if you don't get to sleep right away or wake up too early. If you're laying in bed for a couple of hours night after night, change your schedule to match. As long as you're getting your core 5 hours of sleep, you're going to be fine. If you go to sleep at 12 and get up at 6, make that your new normal. Be consistent. Once you get your mind and body used to that, you can try to modify it a little at a time. Maybe add another 30 minutes for a couple of weeks and see how it works out.

The point I'm trying to make is that it might take some time to get where you want to be, and that's normal.

If your sleep is important to you, you may have to modify other parts of your life to make it work. Look for that book I mentioned above. It's a great help. Available in electronic format as well.

• Like 1

So given my attempts I'm still stuck... Any tips, not involving actual medication that works for you.

I have a partner who usually has an early schedule while I can't sleep till 3 or 4 am and don't know how to combat this with these circumstances.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I took 'actual medication' to mean like prescription medication (I included medical cannabis with this too), sorry if I misunderstood in advance as this probably won't be helpful info for you.

When I have a lot of difficulty falling asleep I take melatonin, it's a natural supplement-- like where you find calcium and vitamin d, but I find it super effective & it doesn't make you groggy, (sleeping pills don't do anything for me other than give me walking legs or flare ups.).

On a side note, I've done some reading on how when you eat has more to do with your internal clock than the sun and how eating regularly and at certain times can greatly improve sleep-- but I've only read so much on it to date and am not well versed on the subject.. it might be something to look into though.

• Like 2

For my insomnia I take magnesium glycinate and l-theanine most nights. I take melatonin when I really need help on top of that and it can really help but I find if you don't get a proper sleep with melatonin you're extremely groggy, worse than if you just tried to sleep naturally, definitely do some research on melatonin as it can have some side-effects if used daily. Ashwanda (sp?) is very good too, one of the better supplements for sleeping that I've tried, it relaxes me and lets me wake up early without feeling groggy. Harder drugs that can help are phenibut and GHB, weed can help some people but not me, it helps me sleep but I don't often feel rested when I wake up

Besides medication/supplements the most obvious cure is exercise, walking 5km or so in the afternoon can really help me wind down at night

• Like 1

I know marijuana is the obvious advise but for me not watching tv past 10 and not staring at my screen in bed helps. I also meditate for 30mins before I go to bed. Goodluck pal .

• Like 1

I'm a little late on response for this topic, but I found for my insomnia melatonin didn't help, and after going through my doctor and being prescribed high strength sleeping pills and not liking having to medicate for it/the side effects I purchased a "Dodow". It's a battery operated system you place by your bedside, it helps a lot and as its a mental sleep aid completely natural/will be no side effects as you're just tricking your brain.

I go through periods of 2-3 days of insomnia, with no rhyme or reason as to why, I don't change anything in my life that would suddenly cause insomnia, but one night I will go to bed and I'll be wide awake for hours

If I do eventually fall asleep, it's almost 8 hours later and I have to get up for work, at which point I feel bloody awful all day.

I had insomnia last year when all this stress with quarantine and self-isolation began, it all worried me very much, so I fell asleep very badly. My sleep was lost for a few weeks, I think for two months in total, and it was terrible because my regime was completely lost. I tried to take the pills that my doctor prescribed to calm my nervous system, but nothing helped. I already thought that I would stop sleeping for the rest of my life, but fortunately, my brother recommended bali kratom, which turned out to be quite effective and useful for him at the time. After taking kratom, I felt much better, I could sleep for 10-12 hours and felt great.

With repeated stay at home orders and inactivity, it gets a bit too tempting to take afternoon naps and pay for it at night with problems sleeping.

On top of that, the last year gave me the weirdest dreams. Some were bad enough to wake me up confused after only 15 or 20 min of sleep. Not sure that even happened to me before.

Even with a return to normality in a few months(hopefully), may take some time to ditch the bad sleeping habits of the last year.