Thanks Julia for your post. It really hit home to me as I have many friends over sea's. Living in Fredericton, has brought so many soldiers to my life. It is a difficult time of year for me, as I am reminded just how many brave young men and women have laid down their own lives for the sake of many!

• Like 1

A little thank you to the Canadian Forces. I have been very fortunate to have had many under my command over the years in Afganistan and Kosovo. They were always extremely professional, loyal and courageous. I don't think most Canadians realize what high regard Canadian soldiers, sailors and airmen are held in by your NATO allies.

Be proud of your forces present and past, they are your history and history shows how great they are and were. Give them the support they need and remember to thank a veteran, you have no idea how much it means to us when that happens. :D

Edited by spud271
  • Like 3

Guest ma***sf***x

Great post! ww1 and ww2 were the only wars that were fought for freedom but I hope the useless wars overseas come to a end

Great post! ww1 and ww2 were the only wars that were fought for freedom but I hope the useless wars overseas come to a end

Just remember it's not the soldiers who decide where we go - we're told where to go and when. Thank goodness for the "Support Our Troops" campaign becoming so big in Canada.

A little thank you to the Canadian Forces. I have been very fortunate to have had many under my command over the years in Afganistan and Kosovo. They were always extremely professional, loyal and courageous. I don't think most Canadians realize what high regard Canadian soldiers, sailors and airmen are held in by your NATO allies.

Be proud of your forces present and past, they are your history shows how great they are and were. Give them the support they need and remember to thank a veteran, you have no idea how much it means to us when that happens. :grin:

Thanks Spuds - if we're not overseas we forget that (there's a great deal of "your military sucks" attitude from the USA); but anytime we go overseas the appreciation is felt - especially when taking part in the yearly Nijmegen marches.

Attached is one of my fav poppy pictures

Lest_we_forget.jpg

Guest ma***sf***x
Just remember it's not the soldiers who decide where we go - we're told where to go and when. Thank goodness for the "Support Our Troops" campaign becoming so big in Canada.

No one forced them to join either

Really?

If you don't stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them!

That'll be my only and last comment to any type of negative comments.

• Like 1

Guest ma***sf***x
Really?

That'll be my only and last comment to any type of negative comments.

Really that stupid comment again I heard that so many times in my life come up with sometime new already.If we had a ww3 that was fought for freedom I would support the troops but after ww2 the USA has got into things they shouldn't of and Canada has to support them

If you don't stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them.

You know, I fully support the troops, haven't recently supported the missions they've been sent on, and hope they come back safe, sane and alive.

I also find that quote infuriatingly American and ridiculous.

Lest we forget.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Tapatalk

• Like 1

J

Well then Thank Goodness for them. That's what makes them even the more so courageous, daring, HEROIC and hard-as-nails! They went so we didn't have to so we can be free.

Let's leave politics behind us for this thread shall we?

• Like 4

bah since it cute my reputation statement off:

"Although it seems American and ridiculous; believe it or not - the bumper sticker that states it has been produced and sold by the Canadian Legion"

Guest ma***sf***x

Well then Thank Goodness for them. That's what makes them even the more so courageous, daring, HEROIC and hard-as-nails! They went so we didn't have to so we can be free.

Let's leave politics behind us for this thread shall we?

My apologies Juila

Lest we forget!

Wear a poppy, yield to the vet drivers show some appreciation for what they've done for us :)

Really?

What kind of comment is this?. Really ruined this beautiful thread. Yes if you wish Canada to become like one of those fascist banana republics in the ME by all means start shooting at your own people, or put them in jail and torture them and then shoot them simply because they express people's voice which may be different with that of the imposed regime in power. Most Canadian don't wish that if any.

Yes back to the great thread, greetings and our sincere appreciations to our soldiers who are jeopardizing their lives to guard peace and preserve freedom and democracy at home and abroad.

What kind of comment is this?. Really ruined this beautiful thread. Yes if you wish Canada to become like one of those fascist banana republics in the ME by all means start shooting at your own people, or put them in jail and torture them and then shoot them simply because they express people's voice which may be different with that of the imposed regime in power. Most Canadian don't wish that if any.

Greetings and our sincere appreciations to our soldiers who are jeopardizing their lives to preserve freedom and democracy at home and abroad.

I don't think it was meant as harm. I realize this thread might hit home for many, as it should. Many soldiers dedicate years serving and protecting this Country, unlike my job that may not define me, being a soldier is who you are. When someone has ill will about my profession or say hurtful words, I shrug it off since this is not me, but a soldier...It's a personal insult and no, comments like these shouldn't be here on this thread, but for those that have lived, loved, lost and protected us selflessly it may not be helped to have such strong feelings.

Let's all be friends k? let's all try to understand that it's a very touchy subject and we should respect everyone's opinions..But you said it best, it can ruin a good thing.

The vets of the Canadian Forces have served Canada and the world with distinction and deserve to be remembered and honoured

And it isn't just service in the hotspots of the world (Afghanistan, Kosovo come to mind right now), or in past conflicts (WW1, WW2, Korea), what about the humanitarian/peacekeeping/civil aid efforts undertaken (Search and Rescue, ice storm, flooding in Manitoba, Hurricane Katrina, numerous peacekeeping missions etc etc etc)

Yes the men and women of the Canadian Forces chose their profession...that doesn't make the sacrifice any less. In fact in makes it more, they knowingly entered a risky profession, a profession that puts service before self

Would anyone here make similar comments about choosing their profession, for example , towards firefighters, who died, or suffering health issues, because they go into a burning building saving lives.

Some really need to remember

Lest We Forget

RG

Edited by r__m__g_uy
  • Like 1

Guest W***ledi*Time

For me, Remembrance Day is to remember the soldiers; to remember those who have sacrificed; to remember those who have lost their lives. To honour those who have, and continue to, place their own lives in jeopardy.

It's hard to keep politics out of it; many wars have been driven by political motivations that were less than admirable. This is one of the terrible tragedies of the human experience. Many tie Remembrance Day to ideas of freedom; this too is a claim that is fundamentally political in nature ... but the sad fact is that many of the wars were simply not fought for such ideals, except in propagandistic name only. It's always tempting to counter these political claims with political counterclaims about the true nature of the aims behind much military conflict.

However hard it is to avoid politics, though, I think that Remembrance Day is a time to avoid such debate. Yes, we as a society, and simply as human beings, have a duty to look at the triggers of violent conflict, and see them for what they are - but Remembrance Day is not about that. Remembrance Day is about honouring the soldiers for what they have done, and for all they have sacrificed to do it - regardless of why it was that those with the power to make war called upon them to do so in the first place.

day6.JPG

A very early memory for me was at some sort of war veteran home or old age facility, my Uncle worked there..

I remember men, broken, missing limbs or hands, scars on their faces and heads. I remember feeling frightened. Not that these men scared me and I did not understand a thing, but as a child, that's how I felt. I can't imagine what these men felt going through what they did and loosing so much of themselves for me and you because to be honest, if there was a draft tomorrow- I'd flee, a coward.

What kind of comment is this?. Really ruined this beautiful thread.

To the masses of CERB I do apologize for posting my statement on this specific thread; while I don't feel any less intense about my statement - there's a time and a place and the thread for either.

I don't think it was meant as harm.

As Julia stated I did not intend harm, nor is it meant as a literal our troops should shoot people - nor was it to detract for those that have served in the past. My great grandfather served in the British Navy, my grandfather and great uncle both served in the American Navy and I'm a current serving member of the Royal Canadian Navy and I have lost too many personal friends in the last 5 years. A statement was made that elicited a strong emotional response from me.

Again my apologies to the masses for posting my statement here.

Back on topic: I wouldn't even be alive today without the troops of the past. My grandmother on my father's side of the family lived in occupied Holland during the war and was only able to move to Canada because of the outcome of the war. My thoughts are with the fallen soldiers and civilians of the past that have helped shape our world as it exists today. Our freedom of speech and freedom of movement exist because of their sacrifices...

As a side note that is starting to emerge more and more - loosing our troops isn't just a physical meaning in the sense of them dieing in action; but also the men and women who come home very different than how they left home (mentally that is).

• Like 1

I fully agree that politics should be left out of this occassion. Again, I support the troops, even if I don't support the mission they are sent on. It takes a tremendous amount of courage to stand in the path of a credible threat to your life for the sake of someone else, whether you are doing it for reasons you believe in or not. I commend every single one of them for having that courage, because I'm the sort of questioning, doubting person that couldn't.

My grandmother lived in occupied Holland as well, and I have heard so many incredible stories of their life in wartime. My grandfather met her after the liberation of Holland. He was a cook in the airforce. He's been gone now for several years, but every year on Remembrance Day I listen to "Brothers in Arms" from Dire Straits and close my eyes and think of the stories I've been told. It's a quiet moment for me, no matter where I am.

Da1Root, I was merely suggesting that the sentiment and bravado behind that slogan is very American in the same way that "these colours don't run" is exceptionally American. What I am proudest about in our military history in Canada is that we have always gone to war to help bring peace and to liberate people, as ridiculous as fighting for peace sounds. It's not aggressive bravado that I am proud of, it's humanity backed by a willingness to sacrifice. I think that's the greatest legacy the men and women of our armed forces live and grant us, and it includes the right to disagree. I think the greatest tribute and respect I can show is questioning why they are being sent into harm's way, in order to try and ensure that their sacrifice is meaningful and valid rather than wasted. That's the greatest support we can all show the troops, since we're not standing there on the field of battle with them.

• Like 2

scribbles, I bet you have some pretty amazing stories!

My grandfather was unable to talk about any of his time in the war. All I know now is where he was and his medals (including the purple heart); and I only know that because I was able to get a copy of his service records after his death. I love spending every November 11th at a Legion visiting with Veteran's and hearing their stories.

I'm not sure how much longer it's on display for, but there has been a Medical Group exhibition on display at the War Museum for the last little bit that has a ton of information and history about what they lived through - made me stop and appreciate all the luxuries that I have in life.

I wear a poppy. In fact, I go through about a dozen every year. Getting in and out of vehicles and seat belts cause me to lose them and I always buy more and I always thank the seller.

For some time we worked a shuttle that involved the military. I don't know how it started but there was a tradition that when someone shipped out, they would stick one of those velcro-backed Canada flags to the fabric on the ceiling of the van. When they came back, they collected their flag.

I have two of those flags that were not collected. They mean a lot to me.

I know what they cost.

"Theirs is not to reason why, theirs is to do ... "

• Like 2

I don't know how it started but there was a tradition that when someone shipped out, they would stick one of those velcro-backed Canada flags to the fabric on the ceiling of the van. When they came back, they collected their flag.

I wonder where that tradition as a whole has started, in the last 4 years I've had approx 50-60 flags attached to the ceiling of our staff car at work. At any given time we have a minimum of 10 flags there.