Contact Email Addresses

Guest m***2

This may be just me being different however I would suggest to SP's to stay away from phone numbers that have something like 6969 or email addresses that have [email protected]. I think you catch my drift.

I find a lot of us are communicating from work, where there is spam filters, bigbrother filters and other non technical ways of picking up addresses a little racy. I dont know how many times I was going to email a SP for an appointment but did not want to chance the address going through the filters and onlookers at work. This being said maybe it is just me... Just my two cents.

An alternate solution is use a web based email client (if it is not blocked) such as ymail, gmail to communicate.

Most enterprise networks prevent these types of sites being accessed on the job. Best thing is to use your data plan on your cell phone or bring your private laptop into work and find a hotspot on your break. All key strokes and activity can be monitored in a work environment.

Most enterprise networks prevent these types of sites being accessed on the job. Best thing is to use your data plan on your cell phone or bring your private laptop into work and find a hotspot on your break. All key strokes and activity can be monitored in a work environment.

Thats so true with employer network monitoring. Implementing a Blackberry or similar would be another convenient method of receiving and sending emails.

Thats so true with employer network monitoring. Implementing a Blackberry or similar would be another convenient method of receiving and sending emails.

Also be careful with Black berry as any enterprise enabled device is going through the corporate exchange server, and all emails are backed-up and stored by the organization. Anyone wants to do an audit on your correspondence and viola. Txt messages are safe or email accounts from the carrier or your own POP3 account synced wireless are fine.

Also be careful with Black berry as any enterprise enabled device is going through the corporate exchange server, and all emails are backed-up and stored by the organization. Anyone wants to do an audit on your correspondence and viola.

Actually, if you setup a personal account through your carrier to your BlackBerry as an alternate email address, sending and receiving email through that account should bypass the corporate infrastructure. Plus, if you change your default web browser to 'Internet Browser' (that's what it's called on Rogers anyway but pick one that's not 'BlackBerry Browser') then the web traffic also does not go through your corporate servers.

All good points - for maximum discretion and minimal footprint - do not use an employer assigned device (laptop, blackberry other) for accessing adult content. As I mentioned in another thread even a local phone call out of a hotel room (while it does not show up on your hotel bill) is recorded in the logs of the telephony system and can be traced back to a date/time/person.

Internet access from your employer is monitored - even though this does not happen in real time, it is possible to look for patterns in terms of what sites/content are being accessed by whom.

Not trying to turn this into an IT forum - the message here is this: play safe on ALL fronts. Separate work and play and everyone will be happy.

Guest m***2

I agree it is pretty tough to pass any of the corporate systems.... Like seymour said their are active and passive systems that analyse activity. It is impossible to get pass the logic in these systems if there are any gotcha's in the email address, content, subject etc.

The best approach is to get rid of the word massage in the email address and replace it with a fake business name or persons name. Not everyone can relate to this probably but when drug deals are made over phone lines everything it is kinda in code as to look like a innocent coversation. haha that brings me back a few years ;-)

Ultimate stealth is done through a dead letter email. just a side note for anyone that needs to be truly stealthy, you can open an email account with a web based email service, the more obscure the better. And then start a dead letter, this is a letter that lives on the obscure web email providers severer and never gets a destination. You share the account log in with someone else (the corespondent) and then you save your letter to drafts, they log in and add to the message until you have finished your correspondence and then delete the draft letter, always log out of the email and if you really want to be tricky have a rolling code for the password, you need to access the email from public internet cafe's to avoid anyone placing key stoke capture software on any of you computers. There are more sophisticated ways of being stealthy but this is free and really really secure.

what if you have no choice at work but to access adult content site with work browser...it there a shot gun way to wipe out all traces of your tracks from big brother?

what if you have no choice at work but to access adult content site with work browser...it there a shot gun way to wipe out all traces of your tracks from big brother?

Why can't you access those sites in the comfort of your home ? Internet cafes are still around as well. And I would love to apply for a job at your company, one of a very few (if any) that still allow access to adult content.

To answer your question, there is no quick and dirty way to wipe your tracks. You can clear the cookies and the URL history but if Big Brother wants to do an investigation on you, the information is still available at their disposal.

Is your job worth the risk ?

I guess it depends on the size of the network, if there is a server and traffic is being managed than no you cannot cover your tracks. If you are in a small office and there are a hand full of PC's networked together to share printers and Internet than yes.

Best piece of advice get one of those new Google OS baby laptops they are around $300 and surf at coffee shops for free on your break or lunch.

The last few days, had the opportunity to utilize an iphone. To summarize, I find its like having a laptop in your pocket.

Auto detects WIFI hot spots. Many around the city such as Chapters. If no hot spots are available, it goes back to default of using the cellular network for data retrieval and sending such as web surfing and emails once configured.

Everything can be tracked online - all sites, all machines, the challenge is to link real people to activity. Use a someone else's machine and make certain there are no cameras.

Google OS baby laptops they are around $300 and surf at coffee shops for free on your break or lunch.

Do you have a link to this by any chance dummpy? I have yet to see anything running this... I was not aware of a release yet.

Personally I love the tablet PC's (Samsung Q1 for instance is really where I think things are headed) they are big enough to comfortably surf the web, much smaller then a laptop and big enough to run everything you would need on them. I find my Palm treo is still too small and the Iphone is fluid and the rotating screen and two finger touch ability is great it's still too small to surf and use as a replacement for a PC.... it's good if your stuck but it still slows you down and is frustrating when you actually need to use it.

You also can use the ASUS Eee PC, small little unit with wireless built in and web browser. Cost approx. 300 - 350. Ultraportable, 7" display, full keyboard, etc.

The advantage of the iPhone, is that you can use any sim card (even an anonymous paya as you go) and surf the internet for free using WIFI. Screen is a bit small, but works great.

You can clear the history and cookies on the local machine all you wish - but the sites you've accessed are still stored on the corporate firewall logs. Logs get backed up and in today's world these backups are kept offsite for up to 7 years - in some cases 'forever'. As mentioned before -separate work and play and everyone will be happy. Nice tips provided by members here on the iPhone and what I like to refer as 'traveling pcs'.

Do you have a link to this by any chance dummpy? I have yet to see anything running this... I was not aware of a release yet.

Personally I love the tablet PC's (Samsung Q1 for instance is really where I think things are headed) they are big enough to comfortably surf the web, much smaller then a laptop and big enough to run everything you would need on them. I find my Palm treo is still too small and the Iphone is fluid and the rotating screen and two finger touch ability is great it's still too small to surf and use as a replacement for a PC.... it's good if your stuck but it still slows you down and is frustrating when you actually need to use it.

This is the OS I was referring to "Linpus Linux Lite" on the home screen it uses lots of Google stuff.

I am personally carrying an HP TC1100 a little older but it gets the job done!

Like the Asus Eee etc... there are an abundance of them for 300-350, great for web surfing and web utilities like email, chat etc...

what about the "IronKey"..a secure (encryption) usb flash drive than has an on-board firefox browser and allows anonymous web browsing from it own hard drive browser? any experience and comments on this?

what about the "IronKey"..a secure (encryption) usb flash drive than has an on-board firefox browser and allows anonymous web browsing from it own hard drive browser? any experience and comments on this?

At first glace the "Ironkey" does two things AES encrypts the data stored on it and allows 'secure' web surfing via the on-board firefox browser. To facilitate web surfing, a web proxy (made available via my.ironkey.com) is used. A firewall sitting between you and my.ironkey.com will 'see' an encrypted stream of traffic (the same as if you were doing on-line banking). For those that do not know, the proxy is a third party that gets the information on your behalf -so you are not seen as the one making the request.

Four items to note:

1) One cannot run Firefox off the local machine as well as the flash drive. If working off the flash, the other browser must be closed.

2) One has to EXPLICITLY turn on the secure session feature (to use the proxy)

3) It is not clear if access to ironkey's proxy is a pay per use service.

4) Excessive hits to "my.ironkey.com" from your work computer as well as 'excessive' time on the internet might trigger warning bells with your HR department and manager. ;-)

Happy surfing!

Edited by Seymour
added one sentence in italics for clarity.

oow I do like the basic idea behind this, wonder if a wondering proxy could be incorporated to move the hits from one site to another to fool the traffic filter?each time you initiate a search or launch a new window it hits a different IP and web site? All triggered through the same VPN session hmmm. And is there a market for this kind of surfing?

IronKey: This is a cool little device and setup - a good system admin could still bust you however and if you used it a lot at work you may raise some questions... Chances are they would not be able to figure out what you were doing from the router interface / firewall so if you were suspected they would most likely go look at your hard drive after work... but since this fixes the storage issue they may go one step further and install a screen capture or a keystroke logger to your PC (depending on where you work) but this would be a obsessive system admin (and most of us are too lazy for that!).

If your working at a used car dealership chances are no one will ever be the wiser but if your working in a corporate office it may cause some suspicion.

GoogleOS: as far as I know nothing has been released and it's possible the launch of this is in the works but I can not find anythign to confirm it (just speculation). "Linpus Linux Lite" is made by a company called Linpus Technologies. They made a scaled down version of Fedora (A very popular LINUX package - in fact this website runs on Fedora) and they created a very user friendly GUI (Graphical user interface) and it runs on stuf like the AspireOne and the EEE as Dummpy mentioned (These are actually very cool little portable laptops and have a nice PC MODE interface - but as far as I know they do not run any windows apps so they would be limited but for portable browsing the price is right)

The Eee is great. I have one which I have modded up the ying-yang (new, larger SSDs, more RAM, thinking about a touch-screen). It's good for picking up signal from hotspots (sit outside the Air Canada lounge at airports for free wifi).

To surf at work on their network - just don't. The security is not worth it. The IT buggers are the biggest pervs around and they know all the tricks because they do it themselves.

If you are rich, for $40 or so a month, you can get a Rogers WiMax connection which is a form of portable wireless (but not mobile - it does not hand off from cell tower to cell tower while you are driving). Plug it in at work, put it in the window and throw a coat over it => automatic personal, private (kinda), wireless net connection. Just don't plug your computer into it and the work net connection at the same time unless you want to get busted.

Or... plug an old-fashioned landline-type modem into your phone line, UNHOOK the net connection, dial out (if you have a plan). Use Portable Firefox and TOR, on a USB key.

If you are a bell mobility subscriber, unlimited browser internet from your cell phone is $7 a month. I surf this way from work but I cannot post on cerb (some form of java incompatability).

e