Engine performance chips -- do they work?

I clicked on one of those google ads yesterday and found myself on a site that sold chips that supposedly help you get more power and better mileage out of your car. Anybody tried one? Is there anything to it? Or is this the automotive version of the Amazing Ginsu Knife?

Never have tried one, but I know a friend that did, and it set him back about 4 bills for very little extra mileage or performance. You can sometimes change the performance of your car by changing the ROM chip in the engine control unit (ECU). You usually buy these chips from performance dealers. I would read an independent review of the chip you are contemplating, because some chips are all hype and no performance.

Here's the thing, there are what they call engine chips and then there are Flash Tuners.

In a simple answer, there are absolutely huge benefits for power and performance in tuning your car or truck.

But it is important to buy a quality tuner, from a reputable supplier.

I'm a Mopar Guy and my Diablosport preditor is one of the best upgrades I have ever done. It increased the throtle response, transmission shifting and overall horsepower.

As well it's usually recommended that you get a high flow air intake/filter like K&N..

Thanks Jason. That's more along the lines of what I wanted to know. I am not thinking of getting one of these chips -- we drive maybe once a week, and I only drive a few times a year myself. We drive the speed limit or lower, and don't really need a lot of performance. I was curious because, when I was younger, I did a lot of the work on my own cars -- and my husband does as much as he can now. Last year, we sold our 1970 Beetle and got a 1993 Jetta, and as you can imagine, it's a quantum leap in technology for us.

The price tag on the one we saw was $70, so it probably is the equivalent of the Amazing Ginsu Knife.

Something like that could actually cause more harm than good.

Performance mods for VW definitely help, but realistically if you are driving so little I would use that money towards keeping the maintenence on it.. Oil spraying it would be a good investment of 70 bucks with guaranteed results.

Ok, ok. I have to take issue with all of the Ginsu knife slagging.... I've had mine for years and love them!!!

No. Really??

Additional Comments:

Something like that could actually cause more harm than good.

Performance mods for VW definitely help, but realistically if you are driving so little I would use that money towards keeping the maintenence on it.. Oil spraying it would be a good investment of 70 bucks with guaranteed results.

I agree with you 100% there. In fact, our one fender is unpainted -- we've been meaning to get the whole car repainted, but attention deficit disorder, eh? ;)

This car will be a little different to maintain than those we've had before. We don't expect much from a car -- just to get us down the road reliably -- but we may have to do some learning to accomplish that with this one. I ordered a Haynes Manual and it has been shipped. I'm dying to see what it has to say. Who knows?

I think I read somewhere recently that there's software you can buy to link into your car's system to get readings and such. We'll see. This is a whole new world for us. But we're both good at cars, aircraft and computers so we should be fine.

No free lunch. You can get better performance, but you'll burn more fuel doing it. Turbo charged cars have the most to gain from chipping up by way of increased turbo boost. You will likey have to upgrade the intake and exhaust at the same time to get he most out of it.

Happy Tinkering