Favourite Christmas dish?

We all know that the holidays are a time of indulgence and sensual excess :)

So what do you most like to eat during the Christmas holidays? What's your favourite dish?

Answers may be serious, witty, salacious....all welcome.

My homemade stuffing, the mother in laws sucks and my moist turkey again the mother in laws dry old bird sucks.

With all due respect to the main players:

Mashed potatoes

Stuffing

Yams

Carrots

Peas

Turkey

Chocolate (some consider this to be a food staple)

None of the above would serve any useful purpose if it wasn't for the holy grail of necessity; the god-particle of christian holidays; the silky saviour of culinary delight.

I speak of course of "gravy".

Think of it - nothing melds together the flavours of the individual vegetables & burned roadkill like home brewed gravy. I speak not of the sugar laden, starchy glue made by the likes of St. Hubert, Swiss Chalet or the King of Coronaries - KFC. No, I mean the delicate balance of rendering the meat juices together with the appropriate choice of spice & herb.

Gravy is it's own food group that can literally be poured over the main course and dessert alike.

Gravy, my own private paradise.

Homemade cranberry sauce. Really easy to make if you can boil water. Lol.

I like mine with a little tartness mixed with the sweet. (A little tart is always sweet! Lol.)

So, I use half the amount of suger they recommend on the fresh cranberry package. And I add the fresh juice of of half a lemon just as the final berry has "popped".

Secret ingredients: stir in a tablespoon of maple syrup or honey just as the water comes to a boil and the berries start to pop. And still in an other tablespoon of orange marmalade once you take the sauce off the stove to cool.

Yum-yum!

With all due respect to the main players:

Mashed potatoes

Stuffing

Yams

Carrots

Peas

Turkey

Chocolate (some consider this to be a food staple)

None of the above would serve any useful purpose if it wasn't for the holy grail of necessity; the god-particle of christian holidays; the silky saviour of culinary delight.

I speak of course of "gravy".

Think of it - nothing melds together the flavours of the individual vegetables & burned roadkill like home brewed gravy. I speak not of the sugar laden, starchy glue made by the likes of St. Hubert, Swiss Chalet or the King of Coronaries - KFC. No, I mean the delicate balance of rendering the meat juices together with the appropriate choice of spice & herb.

Gravy is it's own food group that can literally be poured over the main course and dessert alike.

Gravy, my own private paradise.

Speaking of gravy.....

I made the best this year... here`s a secret.

When you are done with the turkey and have nothing but bones and little meaty bits, throw it in a pot with other leftovers (veggies, taters, even stuffing!!!) and make your turkey broth. Throw in enough water to make a decent amount of broth. Let it simmer. (You can throw in bay leaves, sage, a bit of salt and pepper... get creative!) When you have achieved the flavour you desire, strain the broth through a collander and discard all the chunky bits. Store what you plan to use in the next few days in the fridge, freeze the rest.

Now... here is the secret. Use part of the broth to make turkey soup with some of the leftovers... the frozen stuff gets saved for the next time you make turkey!!!

Next turkey time...Thaw the frozen broth, and put about an inch and a half in the bottom of your turkey roasting pan. Roast the bird as per usual... what is left in the pan is turkey heaven. You have the base for a turkey gravy that is absolutely turkalicious!!!!

Guest ***t***iv***

a staple for me is gnocci. an italian dish my gramma makes; also known as potato dumplings. I know how to make it, but I am nowhere near as precise as my grams. this year, I made it and it was my most successful attempt to date. hooray for holiday cooking!

Plum pudding with rum sauce!

I mean a good quality plum pudding, preferably home made (though that's time consuming, and I don't know how myself LOL). Or, easier, from a good bakery.

Great way to finish a meal at Christmastime.

• Like 1

I just finished making my favorite holiday food - turkey soup made from the leftovers. I just adore turkey soup - with homemade dumplings.. it's the absolute best part of the season for me!

Mashed Potatoes!! Stuffing!! Turkey!! And also gravy!

Gravy is the duct tape of food. It can (and should) be used in as many occasions involving edibles as possible.

Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Linner (?), Dinner

It can make bad food taste good, and good food taste like a party in your mouth and ladies get in free.

Guest bngfrank11

I agree the whole turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy are great, but a our main Christmas Eve meal is homemade Macaroni and Cheese

Mmm mmm good.

I am such a tradionalist. Turkey, Mashed Potatoes, Peas and Carrots, Stuffing and then lots of gravy and cranberry sauce.....

And of course, got to have my candy cane ice cream for dessert, not that we don't get enough of that kind of sweet stuff already.

And I ready a bit about gravy this year and followed what they said, which is to cool down the drippings and allow the fat to rise and cool and then skim it off. The gravy was terrific, no fat but lots of flavour......

And I have a week's worth left over of everything, and don't think I will get sick of it... Time to have a turkey sandwich, lunch is calling.

The traditional holiday fare at my house is turkey, turnip, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, and stuffing. There is gravy, but I prefer cranberry sauce.

I am the only one (besides Mom) who likes pumpkin pie, but Mom makes sure to make one every year just for me. And my ginger snap cookies.

Really, it's the holiday baking I look forward to:

peanut butter balls covered in chocolate

brownies

lemon squares

shortbread!

This year went to brother's for Christmas dinner

Good news, didn't have to do a turkey dinner (yes most of it I do) and kitchen clean-up

Bad news, not bragging, but the dinner wasn't as good as the one I do

Next year I'm back at the helm

But I'm more committed now, with all the food, sweets, candies kicking around, to my New Year's resolution...lose weight

RG