I want to spend more time outside this summer so I'm thinking of trying to get a really nice front yard (historically my yard has been really crappy, with a lot of weeds, patchy grass, and a lot of weeds) and maybe do a little gardening as well.

I'm wondering if anyone else has an interest in lawn care/gardening and if you can share any knowledge bases, tips, suggestions, etc.

It's so beautiful outside!

I've always found grass lawns a form of mass insanity. Why would we choose the hardest thing to grow, that is most vulnerable to weed infestation, that requires the most attention and resources??

Have you given any thought to xerescaping your lawn with one or more ground cover plants that require substantially less water than grass lawns, require no or almost no mowing or weed treatment, and which are softer on the feet? You may have to check to see if there are any bylaws preventing this. (Yes! It's true! I've even heard of people being fined for putting a vegetable garden in their front yard! Insanity abounds.) But if it is legal in your area, and if you own your home, you could consider the conversion to xerescaping an investment that may very well add to your home's value. It's the way of the future.

Lawn care can be lots of work but very rewarding. I take care of 12 acres of lawn at my place and spend approx. $2000.00/year on fertilizer and weed control, plus 300 hours in maintenance including grass cutting. The secret to a beautiful lawn is lawn aeration (this piece of equipment is more expensive then the lawn tractor). Some recommend dethatching in the spring but that is good if you did not do your last cut at the right time in the fall. Second mistake that most do is cut the grass to low, you must leave your grass at a height of 2-1/2 to 3" high when cutting. Cutting it to low will give sunlight to the weeds and that is what they like.

Mow your lawn in different direction every time you cut it. If you are thinking of reseeding it let me know and I can help you find the best seed for your application(ex. shade, traffic, dry area, etc.).

I loathe yard work and gardening ... I like the fruits of it. Having a nice bbq in a well cared for garden. But I have no patience for the task and don't enjoy it at all. If I have to be outside, I'd far rather be hiking or camping somewhere in the wilderness than looking after a lawn.

Porthos