Help please.

I'm computer illiterate. I don't know how to make comments or quote other people. Instead I just reply to a thread or cut and paste. The only thing I know how to do is nominate posts. I know this is silly but help please. How do I use the other functions.

I'm computer illiterate. I don't know how to make comments or quote other people. Instead I just reply to a thread or cut and paste. The only thing I know how to do is nominate posts. I know this is silly but help please. How do I use the other functions.

The easiest way to quote is the quote button underneath the persons message in their post, it will open up a message window just like when your posting a message normally but the persons message your quoting will be at the top of message. As for the comments, you can do this by pressing the reputation button at the top of a persons message and a little pop up should come up letting you add a message when you give rep points. I'm still figuring out the other functions myself too. Hope this helps :)

• Like 2

The easiest way to quote is the quote button underneath the persons message in their post, it will open up a message window just like when your posting a message normally but the persons message your quoting will be at the top of message. As for the comments, you can do this by pressing the reputation button at the top of a persons message and a little pop up should come up letting you add a message when you give rep points. I'm still figuring out the other functions myself too. Hope this helps :)

Perfect, Thank you. Kisses baby kisses. XoXo

Peachy, look to the left of 'nominate post' and click 'quote' to quote a post:

quote.gif multiquote_off.gif quickreply.gif nominate_topic.gif

To add a comment to a post and at the same time, give reputation points...

Look on the top right side of the post and click 'reputation for this post' next to the 'report abuse' button:

postnotes_nomatte.gif report.gif

• Like 1

Ahhh, too many buttons. If cerb gets shut down, I didn't do it. Peachy walking inconspicuously whistling.

If you don't want to quote a whole passage just make sure you do not delete the bracketed [qoute=name and #] at the beginning and the

at the end.

One other thing I learned was not to hit Submit Reply more than once.

My favorite button is "preview" as it lets you see how your message (quotes from others and all) is going to look without actually posting it.

postnotes_nomatte.gif

is for adding a comment? Now, that isn't obvious.

It wasn't to me,lol. Now that I asked and I received some help about this. It is as clear as a bell.

Perfect, Thank you. Kisses baby kisses. XoXo

Glad I could help :)

I know its not the best icon for this feature... I get asked all the time.

I totally agree with you. My suggestion is to have another button with a clear message such as " comments" on it.

I know I know, Peachy, too many buttons... but it is better than to hit every button to find this function, lol.

Peachy, so it is you that had been bringing down Cerb, here I thought is was me pressing the wrong buttons.....

quote=Peachy;345761]Ahhh, too many buttons. If cerb gets shut down, I didn't do it. Peachy walking inconspicuously whistling.

It wasn't to me,lol. Now that I asked and I received some help about this. It is as clear as a bell.

I could never figure out how people added comments. Thanks for having enough sense to ask the question. I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't think to ask myself. Way to go Peachy! :)

• Like 1

Actually, it'd be nice to be able to comment on someone's post without adding to their reputation - it's a minor inconvenience when you can't do this because you've recently given the same reputation on another post...

Peachy, so it is you that had been bringing down Cerb, here I thought is was me pressing the wrong buttons.....

quote=Peachy;345761]Ahhh, too many buttons. If cerb gets shut down, I didn't do it. Peachy walking inconspicuously whistling.[/quote ]

And when you're quoting, make sure to leave all the square brackets in place. This is what happens when you accidentally chop one off :)

Actually, it'd be nice to be able to comment on someone's post without adding to their reputation - it's a minor inconvenience when you can't do this because you've recently given the same reputation on another post...

Well I have read of disapproving of someones post and thereby decreasing their reputation but that ability seems to have been removed at some point. I find having to give reputation to be able to comment is sometimes not appropriate as the poster is pretty far afield and people commenting are just adding to their reputation. I also like adding to someone's reputation when it is deserved.

While I think negative comments that reduce reputation are undesirable, it would be nice to be able to comment when you don't agree with they say but be neutral (as opposed to negative).

Well I have read of disapproving of someones post and thereby decreasing their reputation but that ability seems to have been removed at some point.

Yes, it was. That was part of the fallout from the Great Negativity Scandal at the end of last year.

Although since my last post, I think I've managed to give rep points to the same person twice on different posts, so perhaps that restriction has been lifted, or lessened?

I've seen comments posted by many. Until now, I didn't know how that could be done.

Guest W***ledi*Time
... Although since my last post, I think I've managed to give rep points to the same person twice on different posts, so perhaps that restriction has been lifted, or lessened?

Yes, I don't know exactly when or why, but it changed at least two months ago. The way it seems to work now is simply that you can't give rep to the same member twice in a row - you have to give rep to at least one other member before you can give it to the same person again.

Yes, I don't know exactly when or why, but it changed at least two months ago. The way it seems to work now is simply that you can't give rep to the same member twice in a row - you have to give rep to at least one other member before you can give it to the same person again.

Well, actually, you can....

If someone writes a particularly terrific, useful, pointed or otherwise valuable post and you want to reward them, you can first give them reputation points and make a comment (or not) when you do that. Then, you can Nominate the post. You have to do it in that order: FIRST, give Rep, THEN Nominate! If you do it the other way around, you can only Nominate, but no rep! They get increased points when you do both.

• Like 1

Guest W***ledi*Time

"Spread the rep" restrictions have never applied to nominations - you could always both approve and also nominate a single post, or consecutively approve and nominate, or nominate and approve, or nominate and nominate, two posts by the same member.

In my previous statement, I was addressing the change that Phaedrus inquired about, regarding the "spread the rep" restrictions that apply to consecutively approving two posts by the same member:

... I've managed to give rep points to the same person twice on different posts, so perhaps that restriction has been lifted, or lessened?

So I'll happily modify my sloppy statement with more careful wording ...

I don't know exactly when or why, but it changed at least two months ago. The way it seems to work now is simply that you can't
approve a post
by the same member twice in a row - you have to
give rep
to at least one other member before you can
approve a post
by the same person again.

i am even worse off, how do you start a thread?

In a forum, left hand side near the top and bottom there is a red square with the words "start new thread".

If you scroll up or down from here it's in the same spot as the "Reply to this Thread" boxes, but from the forum screen.

Porthos

Guest W***ledi*Time
Step number two, how in the world do you multi quote?

Select as many posts as you wish to quote by hitting the "+Multi-Q" button multiquote_off.gif at the bottom of each post. After you've selected all the posts you want to quote, hit the "Reply to this Thread" button reply.gif.