Lip-biting expression?

Does anyone know where this lip-biting facial pose originally comes from? I see it in more and more photo posts! For example this one by the indefatigable Cato:

tumblr_lcli46SiJx1qz7ltxo1_500.jpg

Touch

I think I prefer it to the pursed lip pose (usually in celphone/bathroom mirror shots) maybe it is to make a change from that one?

2vhzm1z.jpg

• Like 1

Does anyone know where this lip-biting facial pose originally comes from?

No idea, but when it's done right... it works. Oh god, it works.

Given the way it can bypass all rational thought, I suspect women have been doing it since time immemorial.

I think I prefer it to the pursed lip pose (usually in celphone/bathroom mirror shots) maybe it is to make a change from that one?

I hope that doesn't catch on. Duckface is NOT sexy.

Bang!

No idea, but when it's done right... it works. Oh god, it works. Given the way it can bypass all rational thought, I suspect women have been doing it since time immemorial.

Yes I know one CERB lady that does this at some point without fail. She looks right at you in such a sweet innocent way, bites her lower lip and it transcends by passing rational thought (does that too) but in fact it could be the explanation for global warming :)

The moments we live for.

Yes I know one CERB lady that does this at some point without fail. She looks right at you in such a sweet innocent way, bites her lower lip and it transcends by passing rational thought (does that too) but in fact it could be the explanation for global warming :)

The moments we live for.

Rational thought and global warming? Such are men that they don't hold a candle next to a sexy woman...

best,

toine

Edited by toine

I can't offer an explanation of it's origins, as lip-biting is probably an ancient ritual. It is conceivable that it is pleasurable, as in the photo below, even when there is no second around. ;) Primarily it indicates a nervous habit that signifies some level of unease or part arousal and an innate shyness, and it probably derives its voyeuristic appeal from that.

tumblr_m39lhoaTqR1r9djnzo1_500.jpg

That's all I got. hehe.

• Like 2

Rational thought and global warming? Such are men that they don't hold a candle next to a sexy woman...

Now, now... be nice :)

I had already used the "hot enough to melt a Newfoundland iceberg" expression in another thread and when this lady does the lip biting thing it's even more impressive than what I was talking about there.

Just the same I can see it not making sense to you not having witnessed this with your own eyes. In her case, probably has to be seen to be truly believed and even then it is quite unbelievable :)

Edited by backrubman

I think biting the lower lip most commonly occurs when one is trying to arrive at a decision while one is uncertain and emotionally aroused.

Bite-lip-467x700.jpg

She may be trying to decide how she is going react to his "advances" and bites her lip while she makes up her mind.

In a face-to-face situation that is already sexually charged lip-biting may be read as a sign the partner is getting ready to act on her impulses and hence may be perceived as a sort of sexual come-on.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1VKfzFKXYa4I2m_DS2vOD4kvi3LuWgCh9KBAznaMleakQPXeD

In posed photographs awarness of this connection may be used to add sexuality to the photo:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBDazR35oZs6XqSQUOUiV6RTvCfOhqmEP7wX5b5hWcdUopoDMtLA

Of course biting someone else's lip is a sexual act.

tumblr_ldjgdlcW3m1qf1dmao1_400.jpg

As Darwin wrote in the 19th century some facial expressions may be vestigial forms of an instrumental act (e.g., biting). images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZCgL9QpVb-xvfJRruROQI4c7oSXR0td1_DxeBffW6931h1DoY

This may lead to this:

2683690_f496.jpg

Edited by Touch
  • Like 1

Of course, not all lip-biting is attractive LOL

Harper-20lip-20bite.jpg?width=640&height=470

(I will spare you G W Bush's even worse take on lip-biting!)

Edited by Touch
  • Like 3

Of course, not all lip-biting is attractive LOL

Harper-20lip-20bite.jpg?width=640&height=470

(I will spare you G W Bush's even worse take on lip-biting!)

lol, don't spare anything with Dubya, he's good for a few laughs!...but that's it lol

Bush+lip+biting.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8DQuRV2APQqE6pfBWgFSRRIjtvrJKbSfHWvF_uIkCeYRkoW5J

lol, don't spare anything with Dubya, he's good for a few laughs!...but that's it lol

Bush+lip+biting.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8DQuRV2APQqE6pfBWgFSRRIjtvrJKbSfHWvF_uIkCeYRkoW5J

This thread has taken an unfortunate turn

I have to say...I do this. A lot! haah

I cant tell you why other woman do, only why I do.

Instinctually I think I always have, or certainly I dont remember a time when I didnt.

Different scenarios, different reasons.

Sometimes its shyness. Usually in reponse to somebody saying something nice. A compliment or such..

Sometimes its because I really want to kiss you..

Or when I'm having very naughty thoughts!

In general...it's things that make me go hmmmmmmmm ;)

A peek into the female mind

Jade xoxo

• Like 1

I have to say...I do this. A lot! haah

I cant tell you why other woman do, only why I do.

Instinctually I think I always have, or certainly I dont remember a time when I didnt.

Different scenarios, different reasons.

Sometimes its shyness. Usually in reponse to somebody saying something nice. A compliment or such..

Sometimes its because I really want to kiss you..

Or when I'm having very naughty thoughts!

In general...it's things that make me go hmmmmmmmm ;)

A peek into the female mind

Jade xoxo

Interesting observations Jade-S. Is it possible that there's a common element? That you're trying to make a decision in the face of a complex situation.

For example, when complimented you might be trying to decide whether to believe it, whether it's sincere, and whether to accept it proudly or perhaps express disbelief.

When you don't want to kiss someone, you might be trying to decide whether you'll hurt their feelings. Or perhaps you're just not sure yet whether you want to kiss them.

As for naughty thoughts, hmmmm. Perhaps you're trying to decide whether to act on them? Or whether to tone down your smile, lest people wonder what you've been up to!

Anthropologically, I think we bite our lips to increase our concentration and improve focus. And we do that when our brains are puzzling over something complicated, weighing different facts or options. Or when we want to sharpen our senses, to feel things more intensely. (Such as an intimate touch, like an nibble on the ear or a kiss on the nape of the neck.) When we bite our lip for that reason, I think it's often coupled with closing the eyes -- as if to cut off one sense in order to heighten another, and to tell ourselves "this isn't a dream -- I'm awake and it's real!"

Anyway, that's my two cents worth.

• Like 1

After reading Northerntantras reply it made me think if in fact these are the reasons I actually do this....

By this, I mean weighing options, trying to make a decision.

It brought me to a moment that I know I did this and it was commented on.

It was an I really want to kiss you moment.

Hadnt thought about it until just now but it was definitely a should I or shouldnt I moment.

Upon further reflection I would guess you're right :)

Though as for doing this during a neck or ear nibble I couldnt tell you. At that point Im usually already lost and not having any awareness of whether or not I'm biting my lip as I'm already concentrating on the other task at hand...;)

Thankyou for your insight. I learned something new about myself today.

Jade xo

• Like 1

Lip-compression can be a technique to attempt to control or suppress an overt inappropriate emotional expression; it may be used to try to suppress either negative -- as in this photo -- or positive emotions like laughing in church for example.

Inward+Lip+Roll+-+Eyelids+Open+Wide+-+Danica+Patrick+-+Tony+Stewart.jpg

After reading Northerntantras reply ...

Though as for doing this during a neck or ear nibble I couldnt tell you. At that point Im usually already lost and not having any awareness of whether or not I'm biting my lip as I'm already concentrating on the other task at hand...;)

Ok, now you have me fantasizing about you biting your lip (in a most seductive fashion) while I'm nibbling your ear! :lovers:

The first page of this thread had me incredibly aroused. Phaedrus is right, it can be incredibly sexy when it's done right.

Now turning to page two of the thread... well... *sigh* Harper and Bush are not attractive!

Well Nathalie, I can't argue with you about page 2. Let's try and get to page 3 so we can get past Bush et al.

Here's Gina Carano, star of the movie Haywire (and an MMA champ) showing us how it's done right!

176768.gif

Great photo-clip :-)

Gina seems to make a perfunctory attempt to control her glee, and then gives up and lets it shine through ;-)

Toouch

Great photo-clip :-)

Gina seems to make a perfunctory attempt to control her glee, and then gives up and lets it shine through ;-)

Toouch

And then there's that inviting little eyebrow raise at the end! Whew!

For anyone who didn't see Haywire, it's a Steven Sonderbergh film and so not your usual Hollywood fare. An action flick for sure, but in Sonderbegh's unique style. Apparently, having seen Carano in her MMA fights (she has serious mixed martial arts skills) he recruited her and, despite her limited acting experience, basically built the film around her. I thought she had great screen presence and turned in a very credible job for her first major movie role.

She also kicked butt! And looked incredibly sexy in a little black dress!!!

• Like 1

tumblr_m642vfh3YV1qchy4fo1_500.jpgtumblr_m60vltMZDt1rxt0lio1_500.jpgtumblr_m5xbfxKZs91ryleq5o1_500.jpgtumblr_m5v4apfIsB1ru665uo1_500.jpg

ohhhh.... and if you look carefully at the next one, you may notice that not only is she biting her lip, but there is the briefest glimpse at her bare breasts.

tumblr_m5n94iqITx1qm3tlmo1_400.gif

• Like 1