LCD Monitors

Angela.... I use the WinTV-HVR950 by Hauppauge. Its a USB tuner and all you do is connect it to a free open USB slot connect your cable to it, load the software and your done. I get both HD and analog. It comes with a credit card size remote and antenae if needed. You can record anything thats signalled in. The beauty is you can take it with you anywhere and connect to any cable line if your runing off a laptop.

rub

Angela.... I use the WinTV-HVR950 by Hauppauge. Its a USB tuner and all you do is connect it to a free open USB slot connect your cable to it, load the software and your done. I get both HD and analog. It comes with a credit card size remote and antenae if needed. You can record anything thats signalled in. The beauty is you can take it with you anywhere and connect to any cable line if your runing off a laptop.

rub

I might have to look into that one, none of the stores here had it. I do believe Tiger Direct does, they are in Ontario and I would have to get it shipped ( I hate waiting)

The USB devices would require USB 2.0 and on your 1.8mhz computer most likely only has 1.0 USB's so you will most likely need to buy a USB 2.0 card to install if you go this route. The bandwidth on a 1.0 USB is not high enough, they did make some capture devices for 1.0 (I do not beleive any are made now) and they were all a low quality TV capture (No high def or anything - really just for taking your old VHS movies and turning them into digital and stuff like watching TV on your computer.

I hate the ATI all-in-wonder cards as whenever I use them I get conflicts with some other device (I find they do not play well with others) but I hear they are much better these days and for the price it's a very good option.

You made the right choice as far as the monitor goes. One of the biggest scams going right now is the extra $ that people pay for 1080p because they are told that is the best, end of story. All broadcast TV is 720p and unless you have a 58'' screen or bigger, the difference in picture quality between 1080 & 720 is almost unnoticable. There's so many different tech specs to consider for buying this stuff these days, and the majority of it means nothing unless you have very specific needs. For example, if you watch sports and want to get a 32'' LCD TV, it is more important to have 120hz then it is to have 1080p. But that's not what people are led to believe, because it's much easier to pick one thing like picture resolution and processer speed and market that. OK that's my rant for the day ;)

Posted via Mobile Device

I have a Dell 24" widescreen, the model eludes me at this time. I can only say i wouldn't give this baby up for anything. It has a multi-format card reader (SD, CF, etc..) multiple USB ports, Digital, HDMI, Analog ports.

I will admit I was very frustrated while shopping for a monitor. I read through a mountain of reviews and found it very hard to come up with options. I found it especially frustrating that the manufacturers don't neccessarily tell you what format the LCD matrix is.

With the Dell model though, a had nothing but positive reviews.

Most of them are re branded. For instance when you buy a dell monitor it says DELL on it. The CRT's use to be Sony trinitrons (Very good monitors for crt's) but when they switched to LCD they mixed it up.

For instance...

BenQ (Of all companies - known for very CHEAP components) supposedly makes a dell 24" widescreen that gets excellent reviews (from what I have been told this is not first hand). I also hear most of the Dell monitors are Samsungs. I know the 19" ones from a year or so ago are for sure and LG I recall made the 18" option.

The USB devices would require USB 2.0 and on your 1.8mhz computer most likely only has 1.0 USB's so you will most likely need to buy a USB 2.0 card to install if you go this route

This old dinosaur most definately has USB 1.0, as I bought it as an auction piece that was nuked and paved. I decided to forgo the TV card, as I am just lazy anyways :roll:

My TV is in the the other room (13" citizen) I am on the computer more then I sleep or watch tv, so to me it made sense to have upgraded the ram and the monitor.