I need a new laptop!

I won't get Dell. Personal bad experience. Sure, the specification looks good but the parts are often meh.

Will you be carrying the laptop around a lot? If yes, I'd invest in an ultrabook. You can always get a slim external dvd drive if you need one. Vizio is a new brand, personally I'd give a pass as it seems to have some quirks.

Fair enough.

From my personal experience, comparable Acer, Sony, and HP were quite expensive back when I last purchased my latest Dell. The system specifications were decent, but there was always a component that looked out-of-place. Most of the time, it was the video card that was plain ordinary. No option to select a better one...

I've had good luck with Dell, my son's Acer is now 4 years old and needs replacing, but has taken everything a teenager can dish out. My current HP has been a disappointment.

That's the thing about technology. It seems to me that construction standards are highly variable, so for every great recommendation there are also horror stories.

Computers .... YMMV

That's the thing about technology. It seems to me that construction standards are highly variable, so for every great recommendation there are also horror stories.

Computers .... YMMV

My thoughts exactly...

I have used Dell and Toshiba laptops over the years and I have absolutely no problem with either of them. With Dell, you can mix and match the components you want installed which is quite handy as one of the posters above mentioned.