Johns' Voice - Important Research Concerning Patrons of the Industry

While some members of this board's community may have come across our advertisement for this project in your local Canadian daily tabs, , or discussion boards. I was only recently made aware of this board. While the project will soon come to a close, I am committed to doing everything possible to get the word out to as many patrons of the industry as possible so that the full range of thoughts, experiences and beliefs can be reflected in the debates surrounding the sex industry. For those of you who have not heard about this research or who are still a bit unclear what the research is about and why your participation is so important, let me explain.

Many of you may be aware that, right now there are important events, such as the 2010 Olympics and challenges to the current Canadian prostitution laws that are placing the issues of buying sex into the public arena. These activities offer a rather unique opportunity to challenge common stereotypes of the industry in general and clients of sex workers in particular. One of the principle aims of this research is to create a more rounded and fair picture of the experiences of sex buyers, and to build bridges of communication between the sex industry and the various community, health, academic, policy, advocacy, and legislative interest groups who have had the sole authority over prostitution policy in Canada - often with tragic results for the people who buy and sell sex. There are two main ways that people who are interested in having your voice heard can participate in the research; a conversational interview or a self-administered questionnaire.

Sadly, I will be closing down the survey and interview portion of this project on the 1st of April so that I can begin the vital, but time consuming, process of transcribing and sorting through the 70 hours of interviews and analyzing the mountain of survey responses to generate meaningful policy reports, academic analyses and media statements. My goal is to have these analyses completed by the 31st August.

For those of you who still wish to make your contribution to this project, the online and downloadable survey (http://www.johnsvoice.ca) will remain accessible until the 1st of April. I will also be scheduling conversational interviews (telephone and in-person) until the 1st of April with the final interviews being completed on or before the 15th of April.

If you have any questions or concerns about this research, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank-you again,

Chris

/*--

Chris Atchison

Department of Sociology and Anthropology

Simon Fraser University

8888 University Drive

Burnaby, British Columbia

Canada

V5A1S6

Phone: 604.339.0069

E-mail: [email protected]

http://www.johnsvoice.ca

--*/

Thank-you for the support and the earlier link. The support and encouragement that I have received from workers across Canada has been invaluable to ensuring that this project is a success.

be well,

Chris

did the survey....and the answer is........cool

antlerman convince me to do the survey. worth the time. encourage anyone who hasn't to have.