mac vs pc?

I'm gearing up for school and thinking about getting a new laptop.

Could someone please explain the popularity of Macs? Are they better? Why? They look so appealing, but I can't exactly buy a computer based solely on aesthetics.

If any of you tech geeks want to do a pros/cons list for each, I'd love you forever :)

xo

Guest jrose

This one might be an easy one for you - does your school have any suggestions or requirements for computers? If they have software that works only on / best on Macs then that might be the way to go.

PC guy myself due to the software apps I use for work. Plus, for the cost of an entry Mac you can get a high end PC - spec wise. However these days the difference is getting smaller and smaller, and an application called parallels can make your Mac run "windows in a window" to remove this barrier.

Someone once told me if you have to ask why would you want to buy a mac, you don't need one :)

Have your taken one for a test drive at your local best buy / future shop?

I'm gearing up for school and thinking about getting a new laptop.

Could someone please explain the popularity of Macs? Are they better? Why? They look so appealing, but I can't exactly buy a computer based solely on aesthetics.

If any of you tech geeks want to do a pros/cons list for each, I'd love you forever :)

xo

Many of my colleagues have made the switch. For me, though, the steeper price tag makes me hesitate. I recognize that many say they are better, but for my needs (primarily word processing, e-mail, and cerb), I'm not sure the higher price is warranted. They are sleek machines though, and the Apple marketing folks are geniuses!

Porthos

Guest jrose

There's the kicker - if all you are doing is surfing the web, typing in a word processor and the like a $249 refurb laptop will do that as well as the $1,199 mac. Yes the mac will LOOK better doing it, but there is a ton of htings it can do you would not be using!

Many of my colleagues have made the switch. For me, though, the steeper price tag makes me hesitate. I recognize that many say they are better, but for my needs (primarily word processing, e-mail, and cerb), I'm not sure the higher price is warranted. They are sleek machines though, and the Apple marketing folks are geniuses!

Porthos

Guest ***nsut***jr

Seriously a Mac.

Why? The operating system is simple and it just works.

This has nothing to do with marketing either.

That elegantly designed Mac will last you 5 years in some way as long as you don't destroy it.

You can buy most apps you need from the App store as well.

Thank god quickbooks is available online because that means one more PC can be kicked out the door around here.

Just my opinion though

J

Also, a Mac is waayyyy more stable. No "blue screen of death" to be had! If you spend a lot of time on the internet, no crashes due to virus etc...

Guest ***nsut***jr

@meg

The Mac is kind of like you.

Well designed, nice too look at, highly functional, and a pleasure to spend time with.

Again just my opinion.

Hmm. Maybe I should be more specific about my needs.

Basically, I need a stable, long-lasting computer that will handle a shit-ton of mp3's, some gaming (mostly Civilization V), and a lot of streaming video content (and that's both me watching a lot of shit, but also, I do webcam performance on the side, so it has to be able to handle that as well).

Guest S**a*Q

I love my Mac, had it for two years now... I also know a lot of friends who have Macs and they seem to last longer than PCs.

However, (I am not sure on this) I don't think Macs are as easy to upgrade (if at all possible). Games tend to change mandatory specs, like needing better video cards and stuff as years go on, so you may want to research that before buying one.

Good luck sexy!

@meg

The Mac is kind of like you.

Well designed, nice too look at, highly functional, and a pleasure to spend time with.

Again just my opinion.

So true. I'll concede they are quite likely better made, more stable, etc., etc. I love Apple products. I use my iPad all the time, and would love to upgrade to Macs.

But I'd rather take the cost difference and use it to see beautifully designed, highly functional ladies, rather than spend it on a computer. But, I've yet to experience the blue screen of death, so perhaps that might change my mind.

Porthos

• Like 1

You'll probably want a Mac Pro instead of the Mac Air, as it can't play Civ V properly and better video camera...so looking at least 1200 (13") to 2000 (15") for one depending on the size of screen you want.

PC is usually better for gaming. Also, a pain to transfer all your mp3s to itunes.

Mac is more stable (doesn't slow down like a PC) and don't get the blue screen of death lol...but how often to you get that??...doesn't happen a lot on mine.

You could always buy a Mac and still run Windows on it, and have the best of both worlds...maybe that's what i would do.

First of all, a small pet peeve of mine, I know it's being anal but it still kinda bothers me.

PC is an acronym for Personal Computer, the MAC IS a personal computer. I know, I know, it's an accepted way to talk about the 2 types of PC's, err computers.

I find sometimes it's almost a status thing when people talk about MAC's, people who own MAC's or Apple products in general are very passionate about them. MAC's crash, let's be honest. I have a cheap Acer laptop running Vista and if I've had the blue screen of death I don't remember it. Certainly Windows has a very well deserved reputation for stability but it has good stability now whether some people want to admit or not. I'm sure there are lots of horror stories people have about Windows but I have heard the same about MAC.

In the end you have to look at your needs and your budget and make the right choice. IMHO I don't consider Vista to be unstable so I don't think it should be a factor.

It's a personal choice, listen to everyone's opinion, do your research, I'm sure you'll make a good choice.

Whatever I have learned about computers over the years, I learned on PC's, and have had generally good experiences with Windows, whatever version I had.

One year at work I was forced into using a Mac, and truthfully I hated it. The only reason for that was that I learned on a PC, and was very very comfortable with file structures and so on. Do you think I ever learned how to find a saved file on the Mac???? I know, I know, I am a slow learner.

One overriding reality that I see is this - Mac users LOVE their Macs.

Guest ***nsut***jr
Hmm. Maybe I should be more specific about my needs.

Basically, I need a stable, long-lasting computer that will handle a shit-ton of mp3's, some gaming (mostly Civilization V), and a lot of streaming video content (and that's both me watching a lot of shit, but also, I do webcam performance on the side, so it has to be able to handle that as well).

Maybe trip to the Apple store is the way to go?

I am a bit biased because I like to work with a computer and not on it.

I have owned probably 20 Macs used to make a living and they have rarely let me down. I have had about 4 PC's and they are confusing and inelegant. Time sappers in terms of production but a necessary evil. PC's get handed down to the dump while the Macs get handed down to kids and people that like to make aquariums out of old Mac Pluses or Classics.

Admittedly I don't think the Mac does gaming as well as the PC but really if you want gaming an Alienware or something like that would cost pretty well equal to the Mac.

I'm fairly lazy and disinterested about how and why a computer works and Macs just do. And to me there is plenty of hidden time saving value in a Mac. There just may not be for you.

Do the research

J

If your current laptop is still functional, why not strip it down to bare bones and use it for gaming and Internet video streaming. If it still works no need to get rid of it completely. I use my note book to watch tv episodes online while doing my real work on my Mac.

Here is my experiences, thoughts, and comments:

1) I used to run with windows all the time, made the switch to Mac book Pro, 8Gigs Ram, 5200 RPM hard drive. For the most part, very very happy.

Mac Pro's:

- Easy to get into, very quick upstart

- Supports Mac version of Office

- Runs well

Con's:

- Don't expect the selection of games to be as great. Specifically your mention of Civ V. I have been using the Steam client version of Civ V and when you get advanced into the game things start to studder. Be it the game design on the mac platform, or the mac platform itself, I know not.

- This one I list in the con's, but it is really both highly beneficial and yet a con at the same time. Apple does it apple's way. Essentially things are developed to their standards and theirs little wiggle room to experiment. I like this because everything does seem to work together well. The bad part is, I want to make a small tweak here and there that would be simple on the windows platform, can't be done.

I've never really seen the appeal of Apple's walled garden, to be honest. I suspect that some people (not all, but some) simply go for a Mac because it's fashionable right now. Also, TEH SHINY!!! But I've never considered a Mac because I don't use a laptop for all that much, so I don't need high-end stuff and I can just save the $$.

It should be noted that although Macs are pricy, that's partly because they simply don't cater to the bottom end of the market at all; I don't think a Mac is --that-- much more expensive compared to similarly-spec'd PC. It's certainly not an apples-to-apples comparison to compare a Mac to a $300 laptop. Apple's stability seems largely to be due to their policy of preventing you doing very much with the box; contrast a Windows box where you can do a lot more to customize it. And on the stability front, Windows has become --much-- better over the last few releases. Apple's UI is lovely, but heavily plagiarized. I get the impression that the Mac's multimedia capabilities are a lot better out of the box than on a PC, but I suspect (but don't know) that this matters far less if you're going to buy the software you want for various things. Gaming... I really get the feeling PCs are still the best bet.

So, to conclude... I really have no idea :) If it's any help, I just tossed a coin for you and it came down heads...

I've never had a problem with PC's, but thats because I always buy heavy duty Desktop replacments and Gaming Laptops.

The average or as I call it mainstream PC sucks, you never buy anything they sell at future shop/best buy and etc.

The problem is for the exception of gamers most people haven't heard of Alienware or the heavy duty gaming laptops on the market and assume all PC's suck.

I mean you can get dual graphics cards in an Alienware MX 17 Laptop, something a mac doesn't have and it is a way more powerfull laptop compared to a mac.

If anything I whould suggest getting a nice tablet and a cheap desktop,

that way you get the best of both worlds at a good price.

Additional Comments:

...... Gaming... I really get the feeling PCs are still the best bet.

So, to conclude... I really have no idea :) If it's any help, I just tossed a coin for you and it came down heads...

80% of games are programed with Direct X and of course Direct X works best with Windows because Direct X is a Microsoft API.

So, PCs are generally better. However times are changing. Plus PC gaming is dying to consoles.

So much to consider!

I have a Gateway that's about three years old now and I'm thinking that all I really need is a cleanup/tuneup of what I've got. It runs Civ 5 fine, I run iTunes for my mp3's as it is (and keep them backed up on an external hard drive after one disaster where I lost EVERYTHING). I use the Steam client for gaming.

I'm used to Windows Vista, and honestly, after everyone's responses, I'm still not really sold on Macs. They just seem like expensive "status" computers to me.

As of right this second, I think my best bet is just to clean up what I've got.

So now my question is--where's the best place to get that done?

For a place to have tech work done I would highly recommend the Trailing Edge in Bells Corners. Their techs seem to know their stuff and I've used them several times over the years.

I recently was considering replacing my laptop as it was getting a bit sluggish but to their credit they did not try to pressure me into a new laptop. They suggested expanding the memory and some minor clean ups and some free advice as to some stuff I could do myself. Now my laptop is working much better.

I know I'm late to the conversation, but I have a few friends who are "hardcore" computer geeks/nuts what have you and this is what I've taken from the information I have been given.

Macs have come a long way in compatability with software that was originally intended for Windows based machines. This is largely due to Apple dropping their own processors and adopting Intel processors and chipsets which has helped Macs become more versatile as well as affordable. The versatility of their newer operating systems in being able to run Windows means that you can have both worlds.

As for the price premium, some of it is justified and some of it is most likely due to the cool factor they have. A friend of mine who has worked in the computer service industry for quite a few years has told me that Macs do indeed use better parts than "most" generic PCs of the same spec, but the vastness of the price difference isn't completely justified.

As a car nut and possibly a computer enthusiast, my personal preference is towards Windows for a couple of reasons. I don't know Mac OS well enough to get everything out of them nor would I be able to save or recover it in the event it were to give me the Mac equivalent of the blue screen of death. I don't have any "need" for a Mac for things such as video editing or graphics design, and until you are at the upper echelon of those fields, a PC would do just as well. My personal setup is a pretty kick butt quad-core gaming desktop which I intend to last me 4-5 years and another 1-2 with minor upgrades. This is accompanied by a 6-cell netbook which does everything I actually need, aside from gaming and when doing normal internet browsing, essays and taking notes will last 10-12 hours on a charge. Better gaming and mobility for about 2-300 less than what I would have paid for a Mac that would have had satisfactory gaming experience and just enough battery life(-5-6hours). With my accident prone tendencies, I'd feel much better dropping or losing a netbook than a Mac.

I hope I haven't made your decision any harder for you.

Serious tech geek here - I currently have a mac laptop, but use PC (and even linux) systems everyday. In my opinion, it comes down to this:

- Macs are great if you have the money to buy them. They work well, things are more natural to do, and work the way you expect. Plus, things like managing your pictures, movies, etc are FAR easier and built in.

- PCs are also good, and cheaper. If you are on a tighter budget, then look here. You will have to download / install software to manage your pictures/music in a nice way.

It's not fair to say either one is truly better, but if you can afford it, buy a mac. It will be easier to use. Both have the same Office suite (Microsoft Office: word, excel, powerpoint) and both surf the web equally well. It comes down to what you want it for, and what you can afford.

Unless you're very familiar with the Mac OS and require it for video or sound editing, not sure I would recommend one.

A decent PC is inexpensive and Win 10 is a very stable and fast operating system.

In term of hardware, most differences are in term of style. Processors, ram and other components are not very different.

If you're looking for a gaming machine and the ability to play MP3 from sources out of the Apple Store, a PC offers more flexibility. But at the end of the day it all depends on your comfort zone with an operating system. If you never used a Mac(or vice versa), you'll face a learning curve. Better stay with what you know.

There both evil. I'd say get a pc, install Ubuntu and learn Linux. You'll outlive both Windows and Mac. Linux is King!!!!

Not a fan of Macs because after 2012 they started soldering parts forcing you to go to the store if you want to upgrade.

With a PC If I wanted to put in 2 more sticks of ram I could buy it cheap on kijji and do it myself.

With a Mac since there starting to solder most parts your forced to go to the store and pay a high fee. Plus if you encounter a major issue instead of fixing your macbook they'll just give you a discount to buy another one rather then fix it. I'm not a fan of that business tactic.

So if you can do your own repairs go to PC but if your not sure or okay with paying a little more then go with Macs.

But i'm sure most of the SPs can find a tech nerd who can fix it for them anyway.

But when it comes down to things they both suck.

Also' date=' a Mac is waayyyy more stable. No "blue screen of death" to be had! If you spend a lot of time on the internet, no crashes due to virus etc...[/quote']

Mac users will encounter whats called a kernel panic which is the equivalent of a blue screen of death.

I'd blame the browser more so for viruses then anything else, Macs are hackable too just done differently.

For example you could perform a code injection attack. Plug in an unrecognized USB device into a macbook ..it looks for drivers, thats when you put in malicious code in.

So macs are just as bad as PCs its just that there are more windows users then mac users so they target the majority.

That's why Chrome uses a tab containment model if a virus or malware appears if all goes correctly it should only be contained in that tab and shouldn't spread.

I'm, a graphic designer and web developer now for over 20 years and yes I have had my share of both Windows and Apple even as far back as the Apple/IBM days. Then I needed to have two systems one for my pc clients and one for my mac clients ans printers. Today Apple now build their systems in a pc based hardware and pretty much every software now is compatible because of this shift. So recently I wanted to upgrade to the latest and greatest MacPro with dual thunderbird monitors for a total of 6500$. I decided to custom build a pc instead with the exact specs on the puter and well as the monitors ( dual 27" BENQ with QHD max 2560X1440) for a total of 2100$ Everything I do on this pc is compatible with my macbook pro.

My two cents, that's all I have left..lol!