Which Smartphone and Which Cell Phone Provider

Well I've had it with the customer service my cell phone provider gives, and I'm going to switch providers (cell phone providers that is LOL) and get a new phone.

But, I'm thinking that a basic cell phone won't do me. Besides phone/texting I need to get email set up.

Would I be further ahead using one of the smartphones (iPhone, Android, Blackberry) over a regular cell phone. It seems like pulling hen's teeth to get email set up on my cell phone now.

Also, any feedback on which mobile services are good...and don't say Bell or Virgin, I've had/am having bad experiences with both

Thanks

RG

Depending on your technical skill :)

As mentioned - The new iPHONE 5 is just announced, its sleek, powerful and pretty much caught up with the Android now. (In term of mobile browsing). iOS (apple mobile operating system) is very user friendly and intuitive with less to no fuzz.

I myself loved the Android platform ever since i switched from both BlackBerry and iPHONE. Its called freedom to do whatever you wish with your phone! :) Does need some tinkering with it though, handset (cell phone) in this category at the moment would be Samsung Galaxy S3.

Network providers...

Sadly im relied on Robbers(Rogers) to ensure i have signal everywhere I go. That being said, thay are what i mentioned them to be -- robbers.

If you lived in centretown ottawa - go with Wind Mobile. Great prices, with unlimited everything. Currently at 29$/Month - contract free, unlimited call, text, and data.

Hope my rambling helps!

Edited by Areez
added few info to clarify :P
  • Like 1

I'm using a BlackBerry Bold 9900 with Rogers (Not so bad so far.) I have a Microsoft Office 365 E3 subscription, which gives me access to an online Exchange Server. I've activated BB Cloud Services (Which is free) and this syncs by Smartphone to my Outlook on a real time basis. No need to plug my phone into the laptop to synchonize calendars and contacts, it all happens on the fly. I also have a PlayBook, which has a lot of cool features when paired with the Bold.

I'm self employed, so this gives me give company functionality for $30 a month more.

doesn't the Iphone5 have a glass body?? That sounds like a smashed up phone waiting to happen

Additional Comments:

I've been looking Hard at the new Galaxy. The Galaxy nexus was Amazing. but unfortunately I couldn't suggest a provider for you I'm not sure what you have out there. I personally have Telus, but alot of my friends like Koodo

I've been using the iPhone and also have an iPad. It syncs effortlessly with my work e-mail and calendar system. I'm quite far behind ... Still using 3GS, but it does what I need it to so I haven't felt compelled to upgrade it. With the 5 coming out you might be able to get some deals on earlier versions.

I did just upgrade my old first generation iPad for the latest incarnation. I do a lot of work and document reading on it, and the retina screen is a vast improvement.

Guest N***he**Ont**y

I run two Blackberries,one for work and one for 'private"! I like the BBM Messenger feature that none of the others have. I am waiting for the new one coming out next year before I upgrade again. I am still a BlackBerry fan and if I am not impressed I will go with the Android os!

iPhone by far. Rogers has been good to me. You need to do your homework, choose the right plan and then stay on their ass....scrutinize and if necessary complain and they will comply!

Would I be further ahead using one of the smartphones (iPhone, Android, Blackberry) over a regular cell phone. It seems like pulling hen's teeth to get email set up on my cell phone now.

Of course and they all do email, and well.

Blackberry was the pioneer to put email in your pocket and while they have a loyal following they have failed to innovate, maybe mid 2013? Who knows.

So that leaves iPhone or Android which both work well and have more features than you will ever want. Yes, I can stream an HD movie directly from my Android to my TV set in the living room (or just watch it on the decent size screen right on the phone when in the air).

I do dislike iPhone as Apple seems to think they still own the device even after you buy it from them (return it to us to have a the battery replaced?, of course you don't have to but if you open the darn thing to change the battery your warranty is void) and I do know a lot of iPhone to Android converts that aren't looking back but there is no denying it is user friendly.

I've seen all 3 fall over when it comes to POP3 mail or something like that.

In my experience with all 3, nothing is more seamless or works better than Gmail on an Android.

Also, any feedback on which mobile services are good...and don't say Bell or Virgin, I've had/am having bad experiences with both

Thanks

RG

Well then I guess you need to go with Rogers? Their service totally sucks in my area but I understand there is no problem in your area. Just the same I think you will find horror stories about any/every carrier's customer service.

I also have an iphone with rogers, the phone is user friendly and rogers has reasonable 3G service in most of Canada with the exception of Saskatchewan! If you go with the older model the phone is free and rogers does have some good plans for around $70

• Like 1

i think you should probably go with Telus/koodo or Rogers...i think i would suggest maybe going with Koodo as they use the Telus network which is shared with the Bell network and get the same coverage...i believe Bell has the best overall coverage than Rogers.

I think if you are using strictly for phone/text/email than maybe going with a Blackberry would be best for you...go to a store and test the phones out. Some prefer the keyboard and some the touch screen (my preference). It all depends what you want out of the phone, if you plan to use it to surf the web then maybe an Android or iPhone...i don't think i would get the new iPhone as it is overpriced for what new features you get, get an older one. For Android i recommend the Galaxy Nexus or the S3...can't go wrong.

Koodo is offering a 40 dollar plan - 150 mins Canada long distance, 250mbs, unlimited text messages and 5pm evenings and weekends

I would go against Wind or Mobilicity unless you live in a major city and even then i would probably vote against it. They don't have the coverage of the larger carriers.

hope this helps.

• Like 1

Rogers treats me pretty good, if pricey. I'm one of the brave few windows phone guys. The upcoming ATIV line from Samsung and the Nokia 920 look awesome and I plan on the upgrade when they come out.

I have an iPhone and am with Koodo. They offer some of the cheaper plans in Ontario, and their service is wonderful since they're a subsidiary of Telus. I've been with Telus before and would recommend them as well, but Koodo is just cheaper. Customer service for both companies is great too, from my experience.

Only Wind and Mobilicty offer cheaper alternatives, but their service isn't even great throughout the city or downtown - I tried Wind out but had no service in my neighbourhood when I was living in Sandy Hill. Also, forget using your phone outside major urban centres (Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, and Ottawa - London & Kingston with Wind as well) without roaming fees. Can't even go to Montreal with it!

I am in a similar situation, and was using a Telus pay as you go basic phone. I decided to go with an Android phone because of email and occasional access to the internet. I am a bit of a techie but wanted something that wasn't going to break the bank.

I decided I wanted something at a sub $300 value. I finally settled on an HTC One V which I felt gives me a pretty able phone, and still cheap enough that I can upgrade later. Also, I put it on the TAB which is a progressive payout option. I have data turned off but have the WiFI on all times, especially at home, so I still get all my text and email. I installed the 3G watchdog app so I can turn on data at any time, maybe for instance to check Google maps. This monitors my data usage and keeps me within a cheap data plan. It also syncs my Gmail calendar very nicely.

All in all seems to be working nicely for my needs, the only negative might be that it doesn't have an interchangeable battery, but by the time that becomes an issue I'm sure I'll want another upgrade, probably one with an NFC option. Also I'd like to see what BB10 looks like and how well it's accepted.

One thing I forgot to mention RG and I sure noticed this myself, it wasn't so long ago that I had a simple Motorola W385 and then switched to a smartphone; they are pretty un-smart and useless without the data plan and no matter which carrier or phone you choose seems the data plan comes with some significant sticker shock to someone used to a voice/text only plan.

Edited by backrubman
spelling

On thing I forgot to mention RG and I sure noticed this myself, it wasn't so long ago that I had a simple Motorola W385 and then switched to a smartphone; they are pretty un-smart and useless without the data plan and no matter which carrier or phone you choose seems the data plan comes with some significant sticker shock to someone used to a voice/text only plan.

x2. Expect to pay at least $40 a month (more like $50-60 though) if you upgrade to a smartphone. It's generally cheaper to go with a plan rather than pay as you go for data.

Well one thing I think I'm going to go with a plan, not pay as you go anymore

RG

In my opinion pay as you go is only good if you only have a need to use the phone for calling and texting.

• Like 1

On thing I forgot to mention RG and I sure noticed this myself, it wasn't so long ago that I had a simple Motorola W385 and then switched to a smartphone; they are pretty un-smart and useless without the data plan and no matter which carrier or phone you choose seems the data plan comes with some significant sticker shock to someone used to a voice/text only plan.

Good advice, it's better to have a bigger data plan than you need. If you go 1mb over the fees will scare you! I recommend at least 1GB depending on how much wifi you can use!

If you can stay mostly on wifi and only use wireless data when you need it, then Telus has great pay as you go rates for voice, text and limited data. I spend $20 a month for my Android phone, voice, data and text. iPhone cannot touch that from a cost point of view. I do keep an iPod Touch as well since I want the best of both worlds (decent price for a phone and iOS apps when I am on wifi).

I switched in the spring from Rogers to Petro Canada. Yes I said Petro Canada the gas station.

My smart phone is the Nokia C3-00 and I am very happy with it.

I have a pay as you go plan and I am very happy with it.

Guest Ou**or**n

I'd actually recommend holding off a bit. The Windows 8 phones are coming and they look great. Nokia has announced it's new Lumina 920 which will ship sometime in Oct. when Windows Phone 8 ships. If you use Windows on your desktop it only makes sense to be using it on your phone.

Well went with Rogers, got a Samsung Galaxy Note

For my old eyes, one big plus, a nice big screen...now after the battery fully charges I'll play around with it this afternoon

Only down side, had to get a new phone number. Originally I lived in a 705 area code. Where I moved to, and am currently living is a 613 area code. Virgin left my number the same (705) when I moved. But told I need to change my number to 613 area code. So for any ladies I see, my contact phone number has changed, but I will provide it :-)

Thanks everyone for your input

RG

galaxy-note.jpg

• Like 1

wow, that's a leap from a non-smartphone to a Note lol...but good choice.

I had a look at the Note when it first came out and it was just too big for me, i just found it too big for my pant pockets and for regular phone calling...i think i've seen it called a phablet lol

have fun with it.

• Like 1

Hey RG: Hope you will post a review here? (After you have had a chance to get used to and familiar with your new phone).

I think it would provide interesting insight to those in a similar conundrum. Particularly as it is your first smart phone experience so your view point would be especially authorative on the value of smart phones as you won't be comparing it to your last smartphone.

Did you get your email set up? Did you have to create a Google account to get access to the Android Apps Market? Are you using or planing to use Tapatalk to access CERB? Of course the display is the biggest battery killer of all so I wonder how good the battery life is (in the real world as opposed to what Samsung might publish).

Hey RG: Hope you will post a review here? (After you have had a chance to get used to and familiar with your new phone).

I think it would provide interesting insight to those in a similar conundrum. Particularly as it is your first smart phone experience so your view point would be especially authorative on the value of smart phones as you won't be comparing it to your last smartphone.

Did you get your email set up? Did you have to create a Google account to get access to the Android Apps Market? Are you using or planing to use Tapatalk to access CERB? Of course the display is the biggest battery killer of all so I wonder how good the battery life is (in the real world as opposed to what Samsung might publish).

Rogers was very helpful. They set up a gmail account so I can access the playstore (apps market) But I haven't even gone into the apps market yet

As for email accounts, both my "civilian" email and my "lifestyle" email are now on my phone. Today I have to put in my contacts (don't worry ladies, I always delete your numbers after an encounter), not to mention email family and friends with my new number

Haven't thought about tapatalk and accessing CERB on the phone...still fumbling through the phone specs itself. When I get more familiar with the phone, hopefully a few weeks I'll post a review. Coming from a guy who's cell phone experience was only talking and texting this is night and day.

In a few weeks though, I'll write something

RG