Which Smartphone and Which Cell Phone Provider

Guest N***he**Ont**y

RG sometimes you can get the original numbers if available and then just have the area code changed. Check with your dealer and perhaps it can be done!

Rogers was very helpful. They set up a gmail account so I can access the playstore (apps market) But I haven't even gone into the apps market yet

That's great RG, I really look forward to a no nonsense opinion of these technological wonders from someone like yourself. If you log into your Gmail from a web browser, you can add contacts there and they magically "appear" on your phone. What's really cool about that (as opposed to adding them on the phone directly) is that if the phone gets dropped in the water when you are fishing, your new phone has the contacts back a few minutes after you add the Gmail account to it, even if it is a different model :)

It's so much easier to manage your contacts that way and you can add a lot more detail then you might be inclined to on your phone.

Of course as I mentioned in another post the downside is that evil things like Face Book will silently harvest your contacts no matter how they were added so I refuse to use Face Book any more.

Lots of great things in the market, some really cool GPS stuff which would be helpful when fishing :)

Well some early feedback. First, I'm not a Facebook type of guy, don't use that social media, part of the reason is the risk of invasion of privacy, not just mine, but those of my contacts.

Finally, yesterday, got my address book set up. It's through Rogers. What I do like is the contacts are protected, just to get in my Galaxy Note, it's password protected (and as password protected as my computer)...something major for me who had a cell phone, push a button and it was on. That said, I'll only put in a lady in my address book just before an encounter, but once the encounter is over, delete the contact...just for discretion's sake

Also love that you can block certain numbers. Virgin said that couldn't be done. Now when I get telemarkers calling, selling insurance, cleaning furnaces etc etc etc I just add them to the blocked numbers list, no more calls from them :-)

I have both my civilian email and lifestyle email set up on the smartphone. And the contacts in my address book are one contacts, meaning I can send an email to anyone in my address book from either email. I don't need one address book for my civilian email, and one for my lifestyle email. Even my computer doesn't do that. I do have a third email, a gmail account, but that was just to get access to the app store

But if I send an email from my smartphone, my email account on the computer doesn't show it being sent. Guess if I need a record of an email sent, I'll cc to my email to make sure there is a record

Apps still playing around with, when I'm more comfortable with the apps (and what I really need) I'll review.

And still pondering on tapatalk and accessing CERB through my phone.

Still like to find out how to put some ringtones on, but I'm fumbling through, will figure it out

Also like to figure out how to download a picture from my computer to be used as a wallpaper on my phone...there is one awesome photo from a lady's website (she knows) ;-) which would look sharp on my phone

Mixed review. But I knew this going in. Phone is quite large compared to some of the other smartphones. Plus side, for my old eyes, makes the screen easy to see (especially compared to my old cell phone) But down side, it's not easy to carry...it either stays in my apartment, in my truck, or hotel room...I don't carry it on me...but I was never one to carry a phone on me to begin with

That's a little feedback right now

RG

Something else I just discovered. I received a email from a hotel about a early discount on rooms, sent to me on my civilian email account. I wanted to forward it to a lady so I found out I can hit forward, sub in my lifestyle email account as sender and send to the lady. Actually not a concern really if she knows my civilian email, I've paid her and will pay her via email money transfer, using my civilian email. I trust her much more with that email than I trust the bank knowing my lifestyle email

I

Edited by r__m__g_uy

Well some early feedback. First, I'm not a Facebook type of guy, don't use that social media, part of the reason is the risk of invasion of privacy, not just mine, but those of my contacts.

Wise. I had that trouble, and it's not just contacts, it's like your recent call history (both incoming and outgoing) as well as email addresses that are not in your contacts (maybe they sent you an email) and then when you run the dam mobile Face Book app it pries into your life in a most invasive way. In fact if the movie (The Social Network) is at all accurate, well lets just say it portrays Mark Zuckerberg of Face Book as having no concern for privacy and a complete and total thief.

But if I send an email from my smartphone, my email account on the computer doesn't show it being sent. Guess if I need a record of an email sent, I'll cc to my email to make sure there is a record

Gmail definitely does that, it syncs everything, so even if you send an email from your computer it shows up in the sent items on the phone. It's also cool in that I have a rule under Gmail when I get new email from CERB to tag as it something other than INBOX so no candice on the phone of incoming email (except in the case if a PM) :)

One thing you might really like is the under used feature of "profiles". By default mine came with 3, "Work", "Home" and "Weekend". When you switch profiles it's like having 3 phones in one, everything is setup as it is under that profile, placement of icons, wallpaper, everything changes and the phone is a different phone. Great if someone wants to borrow it to make a call as the sexy wall paper is no more and then it's back when you want it.

Lots of you tube videos that are Android tutorials, well worth the time to learn about it well and leverage all the features.

Thanks for the feedback RG.

Still like to find out how to put some ringtones on, but I'm fumbling through, will figure it out

well for the standard ringtones, just look under settings and select sound and should see "phone ringtone"

now if you want to use music from your own collection, download first and open up the music player select song and then select settings and should be an option for ringtone.

Also like to figure out how to download a picture from my computer to be used as a wallpaper on my phone...there is one awesome photo from a lady's website (she knows) ;-) which would look sharp on my phone

as for the pic, if you connect your phone to your pc then it basically dropping the pic onto the phone and then pressing on the screen for a sec or 2 and the wallpaper screen should pop up for you and from there select the pic, pretty straightforward.

if you use a mac then you need to download a program to be able to download items onto the phone.

Also, same thing goes for dropping music onto the phone, just drag and drop...pretty easy. And one reason why Android is better than the iPhone, don't need itunes.

if you need more info just ask.

Thanks for the information. I'll play around more with this toy

Today after fumbling around, I finally got tapatalk ap downloaded

And my first post on CERB from my phone :-)

RG

I've had an iPhone 4, switched to one of the more popular Android phones, the Samsung Galaxy S2 because of selection of phones, expandable storage, configurability, and integration of Google with OS. Now after numerous problems I can't wait to get back into the iPhone world where everything just seems to work. I've tried every trick in the book with my Samsung even after sending it in for servicing, staying away from all the virus infected apps on Google store, and still problems. I've also had a BB through work before, so have lived in that space too.

So for making a change for the better, there are multiple reasons that are so obvious for going with an iPhone.

When iOS5 was released, dependablity on iTunes was reduced, and even more so with iOS6 now. I'm just waiting for what the next release of iOS offers.

All you need is an iPhone. No PC, no Mac. Apple has made considerable changes, and strange as it may seem, not everyone has a computer.

You can even configure your router, upgrade iOS, download music and movies, make ringtones, apply new wallpaper; all from the iPhone. No connection to a computer required. If you want to upgrade OS on a Samsung device you still need a computer.

well for the standard ringtones, just look under settings and select sound and should see "phone ringtone"

now if you want to use music from your own collection, download first and open up the music player select song and then select settings and should be an option for ringtone.

as for the pic, if you connect your phone to your pc then it basically dropping the pic onto the phone and then pressing on the screen for a sec or 2 and the wallpaper screen should pop up for you and from there select the pic, pretty straightforward.

if you use a mac then you need to download a program to be able to download items onto the phone.

Also, same thing goes for dropping music onto the phone, just drag and drop...pretty easy. And one reason why Android is better than the iPhone, don't need itunes.

I personally use a iPhone 4S with Rogers. I live in a rural community and it gets the best coverage out there and I get great speed in town. I just use it on wifi and don't bother with data. The best way would to find the phone you like and buy it off contract online, most phones can be unlocked inexpensively and that way you can go with any provider you choose