Need a good screen capture utility

Need a good screen capture utility

I'm assuming for Windows.

PaintShop Pro (by Corel) has screen capture. Its a decent app.

I'm assuming for Windows.

PaintShop Pro (by Corel) has screen capture. Its a decent app.

Yes for Windows. I would prefer a free program.

Try "Ctrl" "Print Screen" at the same time. Copies the desktop to clipboard. Also "ALT""Print Screen" captures just the active window to Clipboard. Then paste into you favorite image editing program....even Paint.

• Like 1

Bill is correct, windows captures well with [Prt Scr] button on your keyboard. You can paste this to all sorts of programs.

Go to the page you wish to capture, press [Prt Scr] on your keyboard, Open up "Paint" from "accessories" in your START menu, and press CTRL V (or choose paste from the drop down menu at the top of paint)

It's free and is built into windows.

Guest Ou**or**n

Whenever I've done technical writing and have needed screenshots I always turn to SnagIt as previously suggested. Very useful and much more flexible than doing a print-screen and then using Paint to get the sub-section you want. If you are in a 'time is money' state then its a no-brainer.

The built in feature of cntrl print screen does it for me, and ya'll know how much screen capturing I do. Also if you're using windows vista there's a handy snipping tool if you want to crop or modify the capture without opening photoshop or a paint program.

Whenever I've done technical writing and have needed screenshots I always turn to SnagIt as previously suggested. Very useful and much more flexible than doing a print-screen and then using Paint to get the sub-section you want. If you are in a 'time is money' state then its a no-brainer.

You have done technical writing eh? PM me as I have some questions for you, thanks! ;-)

In the past I always used the print screen keyboard feature and cropped away the excess I did not require.

Outforfun,

Thanks for the reference to Snag It. It has some interesting features such as tagging etc. Seen it on a Torrent not too long ago somewhere.

I found a program call jing... http://www.jingproject.com/

Not sure how good it is, but it was highly rated in a popular computer magazine... and it's free!

Thanks, I downloaded it and love it. I used to have problems explaining things over the internet, now I just record it and send it to whoever. Here it is, this is the way to do it! Fantastic:)

But when I make a video there is no sound. I am using Windows 7 beta, which is similar to Vista. I read on the Jing site that there are audio issues with the Vista operation system.

Is here any geek type who could come up with a solution? Could this have something to do with the two different Folders for "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)"?

What is the purpose of those anyway? I couldn't figure out. Sometimes when a program is installed automatically into the (x86) and it doesn't work I install it into the one that says "Program Files" only, and it works.

What did Microsoft come up with again to make my life miserable ? LOL

Guest S*rca****sid

As you stated, you are using Windows 7 beta...... "Beta" which means it's still in the experimental stage. It's only been released for people to try and give their feed back to Microsoft in order to work out the bugs before it is officially released.

It is suggested not to be used for everyday normal use for the average person.

Since it states that there is an audio bug for Vista, it's more than likely not going to work with Windows 7. I suggest you reinstall XP if you have it.

As you stated, you are using Windows 7 beta...... "Beta" which means it's still in the experimental stage. It's only been released for people to try and give their feed back to Microsoft in order to work out the bugs before it is officially released.

It is suggested not to be used for everyday normal use for the average person.

Since it states that there is an audio bug for Vista, it's more than likely not going to work with Windows 7. I suggest you reinstall XP if you have it.

Thanks sarcasticsid, but I am pretty happy with it otherwise. It starts up in a few seconds. It has also very annoying features, but I am sure a few months/years from now every software will be written for Windows 7, and I will be damned if I pay another few hundred for another junk from Microsoft.

So, I just installed the beta so I am ahead of their game LOL

Guest S*rca****sid

That's what I thought.... Technically it's only free while it is in beta.

The RC will expire on June 1, 2010. Starting on March 1, 2010, your PC will begin shutting down every two hours. Windows will notify you two weeks before the bi-hourly shutdowns start.

That's what I thought.... Technically it's only free while it is in beta.

The RC will expire on June 1, 2010. Starting on March 1, 2010, your PC will begin shutting down every two hours. Windows will notify you two weeks before the bi-hourly shutdowns start.

Nice :) They might as well hold a shotgun to your head...

And what happens next? I had windows Vista installed before.

Guest S*rca****sid

Do you still have the discs that came with the computer?

Back up all the files and programs you want to keep, then use the Cd (DVD) to reinstall Vista.

Guest S*rca****sid

If the programs were on the computer when you made the back up, then no.... only the ones installed after the back up.

It's a good idea to back up frequently, especially after you've decided to keep the programs you want.

Guest S*rca****sid

As far as I know you can't do it... atleast in an easy way.

Unless you are using a dual boot?

Shouldn't you be able to reinstall the old OP system keeping all other files intact? You can do the other way around....

???

For those who are wondering.

Bad news is that Windows 7 beta will expire in a few months. There is no way of rolling back to the previous Operation System, and even if you buy Windows 7, there is no way of upgrading the beta. Meaning, you have to do a clean install and do a backup of everything you did.

With other words, Microsoft screwed us again. I remember hearing about the "free" beta on TV, but nobody said it was a temporary thing.

Many million people have downloaded the beta just like me, and many of them are just as upset, because they had no idea how it worked.

For me, a beta is something I can try out. I have other beta software that works fine.

Anyway, good news is that I have tried out the Linux Ubuntu Operation system on my old laptop, and it works very well, it does everything windows does and it is free. There is no need to get ripped off by Microsoft every few years.

:)