Site update - Width of forum has changed

Do you prefer the new width of the forum?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer the new width of the forum?

• Yes, Much better!
    • No, It was better before!
    • I didn't notice a difference
    • I don't care either way

Anyword for moblie website update ? Us iPhone user get stuck with the old wap version ! Could give us some new features ! Or mabye a iPhone chat app LOL

Posted via Mobile Device

I like the version I get on my cell phone just fine, its a SAMSUNG A950. But a chat version would be great but I dont think my dinosaur of a phone would handle it :lol:

Mod, you might want to check what the shoutbox looks like on Opera.

I am sure you don't want it to be this long.

We don't support the Opera browser. Just IE, FireFox, Safari and google's Chrome. Opera is a scaled down browser and many sites will not work correctly with it.

I like the version I get on my cell phone just fine, its a SAMSUNG A950. But a chat version would be great but I dont think my dinosaur of a phone would handle it :lol:

You would need a FLASH enabled phone to use chat. (Iphone does not even work yet)

I can't really help the guys with the 13 inch monitors but if we make the reading area's smaller you can use a good zoom tool for those little screens.

Mod, you just need to inform the guys with 13-inch monitors that size really does matter! :smile:

(I can't believe no one said this before now!)

• Like 1

Mod, you just need to inform the guys with 13-inch monitors that size really does matter! :smile:

:lol:

see in some cases it really does

Don't look down on the small monitors, they are the latest craze... I have an 8 inch one (monitor!!!!).... :)

Those 8inch Aspires are sure handy.

My laptop has a 17 inch monitor and it's a PIG to haul around with me... and I beleive that tablet pc's (mix between hand held pda / phone / laptop / touchscreen / voice recognition / etc... is what we will eventually get to.

High speed voip/internet/laptop/etc... all in one (affordable easy to use) package is the next logical step if the battery can last and the power can be made available.

The iphone and google phone etc... along with the aspire's and small laptops (and tablets already on the market) and the small batteries with lots of power are all available... we are just waitting for the low voltage cpu's with loads of power (and I think we will see that soon enough).

I have an older Asus with Linux OS.

It isn't much, but I can put it in my purse and it does all the basics.

There are better ones out there, many with windows.

The Samsung Q1 is something I considered. (http://reviews.cnet.com/tablet-pcs/samsung-q1-ultramobile-pc/4505-3126_7-31781057.html) but it's still fairly slow so I am holding out for something similar with more juice.

I really like the asus tripple e's and running linux they are quick. How is the battery life?

One of the big problems with laptops is that the hard drive (Spinning) chews up all the power. So stuff like the EEE, PDA's and Cell Phones use flash memory but this has pretty much been limited to under 8GB (32GB was the top limit with the SDHC cards) but by the end of the year we will see the new SDXC cards come on the market. They have 32GB and up but in theory they will be able to have up to 2 terra bytes! (that is 2000GB - well technically it is 2048GB but we round it off to make is simple)

For all the old school computer people... that is over 1'538'461 "3.5 inch floppy" disks worth of data on something the size of a tooney!! (or almost 3000 CD's or 425 DVD's or 235 dual layer DVD's) - no matter how you look at it it's HUGE and will change a lot of things!

I loved my commodore64. The vic20 was painful but the 64 was great. I was a main sysop of a large BBS network (some of you may remember them.. the BBS network was called "the Dungeon") they would only accept one person logged in at a time (Dial up) and every night the computers would call each other and swap info so the entire network was updated so that you could log in to any of the computers and see all the threads and files from the day before. We use to have a text toll play game called empire that I loved. I miss those days! :(

We had two floppy drives running - one was a 5 1/4 inch double sided floppy drive and the other was a high capacity 3.5 inch drive (I think we paid 1200.00 for it! and 1000.00 for the v90 modem)

I started working in the early 80's on office computers that were as big as a desk and had rubber rug underneath to prevent electric surge....

The disks were huge, at least 70 cm diameter and it was my job to carry the backup disks to the bank after work and put them in the vault.

Saving work was very complicated, because the sysdk was built-in. As far as I remember first I had to backup the system disk, then erease its content, then copy the daily work disk to the built in disk, then copy that to the backup disk, and then copy back the system to the built-in system disk.

And we used to play a game I think it was Martians attacking the Earth and you had to shoot them. It was fun.

Good old days.... LOL

Where they floppy disks or reals?

I know they made 8inch floppies (I think that was the largest), they were HUGE looking!

I don't recall anything larger (I suspect they did not go much larger due to friction) - the 5 1/4's wore quick so I could not imagine the life span of a 8inch.

I did work on a unix mainframe and everything was backed up on real to real disks. The comment about the rubber under the console sounds a lot like a terminal for a mainframe. They were in place for static and vibration as the printers and even the drives back than would make the room shake so everything was on antivibration mats.

I guess I just didn't know the expressions. I guess it was mainframe, but we had only one for our office and the definition of mainframe is "main computer which can serve many users simultaneously"..

Maybe 70cm is exaggerating, it was about 50 cm, and it was huge. I tried to find a picture online, but could not.

I know that those were the very first office computers.

The disks were huge and thick and the disk drive was as high as the desk itself.

I believe it was made by Nixdorf, and it was before the time of personal computers. It wasn't before two years later that people started buying personal computers. I remember my colleague telling me her son wants a computer and it cost an astronomical sum, and I was wondering why would a kid want a computer? :)

I am definitely not talking about floppy drives. They were huge drives in hard plastic cases.

Interesting stuff, Anita. I love old technology stories.

Could have been even more interesting, of course, if you had made the following typo:

"The dicks were huge and thick" Lol

Interesting stuff, Anita. I love old technology stories.

Could have been even more interesting, of course, if you had made the following typo:

"The dicks were huge and thick" Lol

Anybody ever told you you have a one-track mind? ;)

Anybody ever told you you have a one-track mind? ;)

Yes, but I didn't pay any attention because I was thinking about sex. Lol.

I tried to find a picture online, but could not.

Did it look like this?

8-inch_floppy_disk.jpg

or was it in a hard case? In the early to mid 80's most places were using DLT's (Digital Linear Tape Backups)

Before that they used real to real backups (drives looked like this)

ugly-tape.jpg