Site update - Width of forum has changed

Do you prefer the new width of the forum?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer the new width of the forum?

• Yes, Much better!
    • No, It was better before!
    • I didn't notice a difference
    • I don't care either way

Yup, tape backups. This is mainframe stuff... and the photo is a small one for sure. The ones we used were much larger (about 6 feet tall) and about 10 of them side by side in the room. I remember a floor one as well with a huge cylinder but I can't remember what it was for. Wow, it's been a long time!

Actually, I don't think it was a tape. Unless there was a tape inside the disk. But it was called "platte" which means disk in English.

But the shape and the size is approximately OK, only I as I said bigger.

I will try to find a pic.

Finally, I got it! :)

1316.jpg

Only ours was not transparent.

Interesting it says under the picture 1962. Obviously not much has changed within 20 years.

It was in the early 80's when I started working on the first office computer and about a year later they came up with a lot smaller one, with built-in disks.

I did not know they had removable hard disks back than! You learn something new every day!

Off topic, but am I the only one finding it pathetic when in the old sci-fi movies the computers have no pictures, only numbers on them?

They are busy saving the Earth in 2100 while staring excitedly at an outdated monitor from 1990? :)

C'mon guys, you were supposed to predict the future! Is this the best you could do? LOL

Each number triggers a mnemonic imprint resulting in a full immersion physiological response.

In 2100 folks got nostalgic for the old ways and decided to go back to outdated monitors just like someone today might collect and run a Lincoln Continentals.

And no I have no clue what I just wrote in the first paragraph above :shock: