Have you watched any good movies lately?

Guest n*gu**6

Definitely NOT the new Mad Max Fury Road or whatever it was called.. Just awful... avoid it like the plague

Guest Prufrock Cummings
PC,

I would strongly recommend reading this Cormac McCarthy book. To me he is one of the best current fiction writers in America and he perfectly captures the ethos of the American west, while nailing strong character portraits and beautiful stories with poetic prose. I would also recommend two other books that have been made to movie: All the Pretty Horses, and The Road. Another one I loved was the trilogy: Blood Meridian, which explores friendship, innocence, loss and survival as three teenage boys ride from Texas to Mexico.

MLS

http://www.cormacmccarthy.com/

Thanks for the recos on the book!

The Road is one of my all-time favourite movies, but I haven't seen All the Pretty Horses, I will have to check that one out.

Thanks MLS!

Additional Comments:

Definitely NOT the new Mad Max Fury Road or whatever it was called.. Just awful... avoid it like the plague

I think you want the "movies to avoid" section, this is the "have you watched any good movies" section.

I wasn't overly impressed with it, but still enjoyed it. It was certainly a darling of critics, making many top ten post-apocalyptic movies lists, and of course being nominated for best film by the Academy Awards.

Nudge-nudge theres a thread called 'Horrible Movies, Lets Save Each Other Time", started by yours truly. This one is for good ones... come back to me baby! lol Thanks for the warning but Ill likely get coerced into watching it anyway. Le Sigh...

Oh and for the good movie Ive seen lately; Layer Cake. I had never heard of it but its great! Not a classic IMHO but definitely a good gangster movie based in the UK. Enjoy!

• Like 1

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - Saw it on Sunday, will see it again before the end of the month. Action sequences? Hell yeah! Comedy? Hell yeah! Character development? Hell Yeah!! Surprises? What do you think? Easily the most fun I've had in the theatre so far this year. Bodes very well for the Summer block buster season!.

• Like 1

A Few Good Men - Filmed 25 years ago, the script and cast stand up well despite the passage of time. (Now, why is another remake of "The Mummy" needed....)

Mulholland Drive (directed by David Lynch), on DVD... a bizarre film, but then that's David Lynch for you. This was triggered by a recent discussion about the up coming new series "Twin Peak" with my favourite lady recently... apparently we are both David Lynch fans, but I hadn't seen Mulholland Drive before (and she hasn't seen Inland Empire). If you are ok with confusion and don't mind being puzzled... its a great film to watch.

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword with Jude Law and Charlie Hunnam was A-MAZ-ING!! Definitely need to see it in theater. The acting was spot-on, the action wasn't overdone and was well-timed, and the characters well all well-cast. I would highly recommend this!

Guest n*gu**6

Run all night... A mob film with Liam Neeson and Ed Harris. Not great considering the abilities of the cast... (I had expected it to be a bit better..) but it wasn't bad. It still kept you involved, and some decent action. I think it was styled to be raw and rough, and less refined as typical Hollywood.

Guest 1***otd**

Guardians of the Galaxy part 2

Pretty mindless, but funny as all get go

Paterson... on DVD... a quiet film about a poet who drives a bus in Paterson New Jersey... His name is apparently Paterson, and he drives the 23 Paterson bus. Some beautiful music in the sound track... I wasn't terribly impressed with his poetry, but the movie is pretty good. Tragedy strikes... the dog done it. The tragedy was so underplayed that I completely missed it the first time I watched it.

Guest n*gu**6

Ended up watching "My Fair Lady" on the weekend. Timeless classic

Seventh Son - Script isn't that good however the cast, their acting and the special effects made it worth the time to see.

Guest n*gu**6

Radio. One of Cuba Gooding Jr.'s best performances I believe.

Guest Prufrock Cummings

I finally got around to seeing Logan. It definitely works better as an R-rated movie; it was priceless hearing Professor X swearing! Watching Wolverine age was both comical and sad. The movie is reshaping the superhero genre by playing out more as a drama.

There are 3 movies I have watch recently which are Shooter with Mark Wahlberg, Enough with Jennifer Lopez & The Other Woman With Camren Diaz.

I wouldn't call them "good" but I've been watching Rocky movies all afternoon... on in the background... I think I'm going to go put on something else.

watched the Comediens staring Robert de Niro... yawn... I wouldn't call it a good movie, though it did have some moments of humor.