Have you watched any good movies lately?

Rented Hidden Figures on the weekend... a bizarre world where people served as computers to double check on engineering calculations... where a pool of black ladies who worked as computers had to run around looking for a blacks only bathroom... In the film things changes as the valuable contribution is recognized etc... its a very good movie... about a time of great transition...

• Like 1

Saturday we rented "Despite the Falling Snow" which I suppose is a chick flick, but there are spy, so I was ok watching it. My wife actually stayed awake for the whole movie which is very very unusual... I love the title... very poetic. The film runs in two time periods... 1960 and 1992 and jumps chaotically back and forth between the two... In 1960 Sasha is falling in love with the beautiful Katya... but Katya is a spy delivering info to the Americans. In the 1992, Sasha's niece is investigating what happened to her Aunt Katya. The pivotal moment occurred when Sasha defected to the US, leaving Katya behind even though he was assured by her that she was going to join him in America. So he spends his life morning her loss. The movie was overall quite sweet and sad... my only objection was that they didn't speak Russian and didn't even try a Russian Accent. Russian with subtitles would have made the film much more engrossing (but then my wife would probably have fallen asleep as she doesn't like reading subtitle). Katya looked the part of a beautiful Russian Femme Fatale, but the lack of an accent weakened the overall effect. Overall I'd recommend it as a bitter sweet love story, but not much of a spy thriller as there was only any real action for 30 seconds in total in the entire movie. The song that was used for the closing credits is rather pretty and does a good job of showing you the whole story... its by Ella Henderson... "Now that you love me again."

Guest n*gu**6

James Bond - Quantum of Solace

James Bond - Skyfall.... I was in a 007 mood on the weekend... ;)

John Wick-Chapter 2...very much like the first one, violent, over the top, outrageous but wth, somewhat entertaining.

Deepwater Horizon... Pretty good effects, a sad story based on the actual disaster, even sadder that it likely could have been avoided.

• Like 1

Guest n*gu**6

Cars... Yes the Pixar movie... Watched it with my son... I still laugh at it.. Cute movie. hahaha

Guest Prufrock Cummings

The Belko Experiment.

As with any horror film, you have to suspend your disbelief and take it with a grain of salt, then you will enjoy it. I found the social experiment inventive (in a twisted way of course), and the script was written by James Gunn, the director of the two Guardians of the Galaxy movies.

The Salesman... and Iranian film about a couple who are actors, whose wife is assaulted in their new apartment.

Its good if you like subtitles.

But you have to watch it carefully to understand the story.

Guest Prufrock Cummings

The Edge of Seventeen. Sad but sweet tale of a teenage girl who's best friend starts dating her brother, and all hell breaks loose.

Guest n*gu**6

Hacksaw Ridge. Finally got to watch it last weekend, powerful story

"Passengers" - a thought provoking sci-fy film with excellent performances by Jennifer Lawrence, Chris Pratt, Michael Sheen and Laurence Fishburne.

Neruda, about a poet and elected politician (a senator) in Chile who is forced to go into hiding because the president turns anti-communist. The film adds a fictional detective who is personally chasing him and the two roles interact in an interesting way. Unlike the recent, and rather boring American Film about a poet bus driver called Patterson, this film was filled with beautiful poetry by the main character. The film is in Spanish, with subtitles.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4698584/

Guest Prufrock Cummings
"Passengers" - a thought provoking sci-fy film with excellent performances by Jennifer Lawrence, Chris Pratt, Michael Sheen and Laurence Fishburne.

This movie made me sad, I posted a review about 7 or 8 months ago in the bad movie section because I found it to be about one of the worst forms of rape that one person could perform upon another. The woman is innocent but due to the selfishness of the main character she is falsely seduced, and condemned to death because of his selfishness. When she finds out about the betrayal, she is angry, but forgives him later for fear of being alone. Wow.

This movie made me sad, I posted a review about 7 or 8 months ago in the bad movie section because I found it to be about one of the worst forms of rape that one person could perform upon another. The woman is innocent but due to the selfishness of the main character she is falsely seduced, and condemned to death because of his selfishness. When she finds out about the betrayal, she is angry, but forgives him later for fear of being alone. Wow.

all that is true, but the entire ship would have been dead if they didn't happen to be awake, so although he was horribly selfish, they worked together to save the entire ship full of thousands of people.

Also he does figure out a way to put her back into hibernation, but she chooses to stay with him.

Guest Prufrock Cummings

Colossal,

With Anne Hathaway and Jason Sudeikis. it's a fantastical comedy/drama/metaphor about alcoholism and relationships. OMG, when the monster(s) unleash on Seoul you can't help but laugh. Most imaginative film I've seen since Being John Malkovich!

Guest n*gu**6

Watch the Hobbit trilogy this weekend. A little drawn out but still enjoyed it.

Colossal,

With Anne Hathaway and Jason Sudeikis. it's a fantastical comedy/drama/metaphor about alcoholism and relationships. OMG, when the monster(s) unleash on Seoul you can't help but laugh. Most imaginative film I've seen since Being John Malkovich!

Thanks for the recommendation for the movie... My wife and I just watched it, it was good.

Guest n*gu**6

Woman in Gold. Love Helen Mirren in it. Awesome actress. Poignant true story

IMHO, the reviews were a bit too gushing, but it is one of the best war films seen in my long life. :)

Plus, Ken Branagh, Mark Rylance, are great thespians, and I always like Tom Hardy in action flicks.

• Like 1

Rosewater... not sure why its called that but its a film directed by John Stewart about a Canadian reporter who visits his ancestral home in Iran to cover an election. After the vote is in, riots begin as people accuse the government of faking the results. The main character is arrested and forced to confess to spying. Its very well done. I believe the reasons John Stewart did it was that the reporter had been interviewed for the Daily Show and those jokes were used against him by the police.

Ove... a Swedish film about an old man whose recently been widowed and shortly into the film he loses his job of 43 years... He's a cantankerous old man but we gradually see a softer side of him as he helps his neighbours... there are some hilarious moments in the film such as the dispute he had with his best friend over car brands (Saab vs. Volvo). The film tells us about his life story in flashbacks associated with various failed suicide attempts. Overall the film is an interesting mix of serious drama and comedy.