Have you watched any good movies lately?

Last night watched a classic..."Rocky"...yes the original first one that spawned a whole series LOL  But it was pretty good, music seemed appropriate considering the election win LOL

And I half watched (it's a movie requiring 100% attention)  The Good Shepherd a fictional account of the OSS and founding of the CIA.  Stars Matt Damon, Angelina Jolie, Alec Baldwin, Robert De Niro and a cast of 100os LOL.  Less a shoot 'em up spy thriller (no not Jason Bourne or James Bond) but probably closer to reality.  Going to give it another watch

A Rambling

RG

• Like 1

Ok, so there's an Amazon Prime series called "Wayne" .  It's set in the US, from Massachusetts through Florida, but definitely filmed in Canada since all the supporting cast are in every other Canadian filmed show/movie.  Kinda fun playing "Spot the Canucks" .

Anyway. On the surface it's a super violent and profanity laden show.  Underneath that it's the story of 2 teens who have lived terrible lives full of both mental and physical abuse from their parents/family, who find each other and go on a journey together.  The writing is great.  The 2 main characters are incredibly well developed and the young actors inhabit their characters perfectly.

There's a slapstick tint to the violence, but if seeing blood is a trigger, definitely don't watch.  It's a story of love, loss and redemption.  Highly recommended if you can see past the surface.

• Like 2

Finished watching a series on Netflix...

"The Spy" a true account of an Israeli spy in the early 1960s. A series starring Sacha Baron Cohen as Israeli spy Eli Cohen.

Highly recommend it

A rambling on my phone over cup number one

RG

• Like 1

I finally got around to watching "Dispatches from Elsewhere" from AMC.

It stars Jason Segel, Sally Field, Andre 3000 and Eve Lindley.  It's a single season 10 episode limited series.

I had watched the first episode months ago and never got back to it until the past week.  I highly recommend a watch, but it's not necessarily an easy watch.  

It follows the 4 main characters as they meet and navigate an augmented reality "game" that sends them off into the world to find clues as to what happened to Clara.  There are 2 opposing forces, the good guys and the bad guys, but which is which.  There is intrigue, paranoia, and a deep dive down the rabbit hole in search of divine nonchalance.  What is real?  What is reality?  

It took a lot of unexpected twists and turns, especially in the final episode.  It's really about taking a journey into finding out who you are.

It's based off a real-life augmented reality game that happened in San Francisco.

• Like 1

A Couple On Netflix

No Country For Old Men

State Of Play

Ghosts Of War (a war/horror)

and a couple of documentaries

They Shall Not Grow Old

History 101

RG

• Like 1

I'm most of the way through an Amazon Prime show called "The Wilds"

I wasn't sure what to expect going into it, other than a bunch of high school girls get stranded on an island.

It's much better than I expected.   There's a lot going on, the writing is pretty good, and the actors in it... wow!  For most of them this is either their first role, or one of their first roles.

They really inhabit their characters, and their individual experiences that brought them to where they are.

Be warned, there is a lot of heavy stuff being explored, but I'm totally hooked, and can't wait to see where it goes next.

• Like 1

Binge watching Star Trek Discovery right now, it's not a bad series, some good acting, half decent special FX.

Been watching that tv show "The Boys" with my 75 year old mother (she loves it, despite the excess gore/swearing lol)

A couple recently on Netflix

2012...one of those sci fi disaster movies. Wasnt my cup of tea but I mention it because it may appeal to some.

Ava

Mentioned long time ago but Ozark (think of it as Breaking Bad just set in Missouri)...hoping season 4 comes out soon so refreshed my memory

And a documentary...The Surgeons Cut. I highly recommend this documentary 

A Rambling

RG

• Like 1

12 hours ago, roamingguy said:

A couple recently on Netflix

2012...one of those sci fi disaster movies. Wasnt my cup of tea but I mention it because it may appeal to some.

Ava

Mentioned long time ago but Ozark (think of it as Breaking Bad just set in Missouri)...hoping season 4 comes out soon so refreshed my memory

And a documentary...The Surgeons Cut. I highly recommend this documentary 

A Rambling

RG

I read somewhere that Ozark would not have another season for 2021.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, NotchJohnson said:

I read somewhere that Ozark would not have another season for 2021.

I hope not Netflix has posted another season coming

With time...a lot of time on my hands I googled and Ozark has had delays filming because of coronavirus

Fingers crossed 🤞 its a good show IMHO

A Rambling

RG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roamingguy said:

I hope not Netflix has posted another season coming

With time...a lot of time on my hands I googled and Ozark has had delays filming because of coronavirus

Fingers crossed 🤞 its a good show IMHO

A Rambling

RG

I agree, love the show and where it's going.  The last episode left me wanting to see the next season.

• Like 1

Last night I binge watched season 2 of the Mandalorian. While offering a bit too much in term of fan service it does deliver a satisfying ending to the main story arc. Still the best Star Wars content since the Disney acquisition.

P.S. The last episode does contain a post-credit scene teasing a new series scheduled for next year.

Re-watched an old favorite, "My Name Is Nobody"(1973) with Terence Hill and Henry Fonda. A parody of the genre.

Just watched "Zack Snyder's Justice League", a more complete edit of the of the 2017 movie. With a 4 hour runtime(not a joke), calling it bloated would be an understatement. The story certainly feels more complete and coherent than the original theatrical version. But cramming two movies worth of character development into one with is not the best way to tell a story. 

Even for people into the franchise and superhero movies, this is exhausting to sit through. Mostly considering how  "Avengers: Endgame" told a much bigger story with a vastly superior amount of characters in a shorter runtime. I can see what they were going for. But would have been much better if the content of "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" and this cut of "Justice League" would have been separated into 3 movies.

Hopefully lessons will be learned for the eventual reboot.

Just watched "Godzilla vs. Kong" and enjoyed it a lot.

Wouldn't quite recommend for everyone, but if a fan of Godzilla, king Kong and kaiju(giant monster) movies, you should really enjoy it. For a movie under two hours, it contains a surprising amount of story and delivers in term of monster fights.

Not gonna go into spoilers, but the movie contains a third popular character in the Godzilla universe and many nods to previous older movies like the 1962 "King Kong vs. Godzilla".

It's unclear if the final entry of these incarnations of Kong and Godzilla. But if so, delivers a satisfying conclusion to this story.

Wish I could have seen this on a big screen, but still happy this movie was made.

"Letters from Iwo Jima", a Clint Eastwood movie which covers the Japanese defense of Iwo Jima against the soon to be American invasion of the island. 

• Like 2

Guest lydiahardwood
2 hours ago, Greenteal said:

Just watched "Godzilla vs. Kong" and enjoyed it a lot.

Wouldn't quite recommend for everyone, but if a fan of Godzilla, king Kong and kaiju(giant monster) movies, you should really enjoy it. For a movie under two hours, it contains a surprising amount of story and delivers in term of monster fights.

This sounds right up my street, thanks GT!

Just watched the new "Mortal Kombat" movie and it's "ok".

It suffers from taking the source material a bit too seriously when only needs to make us care about the characters. It does contain some self-aware moments of levity, but not quite enough to keep entertained. A big positive are the gory "fatalities" that were missing from the previous movies. The 1995 version was more fun and the 1997 sequel was hilariously bad, this is just forgettable.

The ending kinda teases a sequel, but not sure if will really happen.

Will recommend if into the games and franchise, but not quite worth paying to see.

Edited by Guest

Red River, a Western from 1946/48. Starring John Wayne. Good movie but my favourite JW movie I think is Rio Bravo with Angie Dickenson, Dean Martin, Ricky Nelson AND Walter Brennan [who was also in RR.]

• Like 2

"Up in Smoke" (1978). A movie I enjoy watching once a year. And unlike other Cheech and Chong productions, actually feels like a movie with a complete story. The sequels are not horrible, but feel more like sketches put together to reach a theatrical runtime. While not always bad, when some skits are unrelated to the main plot and are unfunny, those tend to grinds the movie to a halt.

Being the template for most buddy stoner comedies, "Up in Smoke" is more than worth a visit or revisit.

Just watched "Black Widow" and it's fine...

Not saying it's bad, it just felt unnecessary. Other MCU movies gave essential plot points in preparation of upcoming Avengers movies. This one just tell a story between two movies and introduces a new character. Also, the post-credit scene is one of the weakest.

Hopefully we'll see a payoff for this Phase4/Post "Endgame" Marvel universe.