Have you watched any good movies lately?

Recently watched "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood". From the title and marketing one would assume it's about the life of Mr Rodgers, but it's not about that. Seen it with my family and after a few minutes we were all confused with the way the story is presented. But it doesn't take long to understand and get used to the creative way it's told. It's definitely a good movie if you appreciate unusual storytelling in the Mr Rogers universe. Also, Tom Hanks performance is quite entertaining.

It's a mix of a real life story and fiction. And interesting to read about the real events that inspired the movie.

I certainly recommend.

Recently watched "Ford v Ferrari" and it was one of the best movie I seen in a while. Being and American made production and the title, I was expecting a very sugarcoated version of history but was pleasantly surprised. Some elements were dramatized for the sake of good storytelling, but the facts remained honest. 

For those unfamiliar with the real life events, I want to put a SPOILER warning, for the rest of my post.

While Ford takes credit for the Le Mans four year wins due to their massive financial contribution, it was Carroll Shelby's and Ken Miles racing experience who made it possible. A more appropriate title would have been "Shelby vs Ford" as most of the Ford Motor Company(with the exception of Lee Iacocca) were the true antagonists. Was funny to see some Ford dealerships promote the movie, when they obviously didn't knew what the movie was about and how Ford would be portrayed. Even if the Ford-Ferrari rivalry is explained, it's not the main focus of the story. The only negative is how Shelby's motivations were not really explained in the movie. But there plenty of reading material and documentaries for those who want to know the full story behind the races, why Shelby worked with Iacocca/Dodge in the 80's and 90's and why it took over three decades before working with Ford again.

I strongly recommend.

With many productions and releases in hiatus, it's a good time to visit or revisit old classics.

Would strongly recommend "The Godfather"(1972). It's not only a masterpiece, but one of the most influential movie ever made. It's been referenced, parodied and quoted so many times, many don't even know how much came from that film.

Too many dismiss it because of the 3 hour runtime and by wrongly assuming they know the story. But it's a great period piece that aged very well. And on first viewing will make you discover the origin and meaning of many classic scenes engraved in modern pop culture. Even if not exactly your cup of tea, worth the watch just to understand so many homages to this motion picture.

A few movies (and shows too) on Netflix

For Arnold Schwarzenegger fans "The 6th Day"                                                    An oldie (well made in 1990 LOL) The Hunt For Red October                                Broken City (fair movie not great)                                                                               Space Force (tv comedy series not a great comedy but not bad either...thats talking out of both sides of my mouth I should be a politician LOL)                        If you've heard of the series Ozark watch...it's like Breaking Bad except in Missouri                              

A depressing documentary but worth the watch Jeffrey Epstein Filthy Rich         If you haven't heard of it a series Hollywood entertaining                                     An action movie Extraction                                                                                       A comedy Game Night

Yes there's a few shows, some may be repeats don't remember (I post both here and on Twitter) but while incarcerated...'er practicing social isolation (talk about a contradiction in terms) some shows on Netflix to watch (in between virtual companionship of course)

A long winded rambling

RG 

Edited by roamingguy
trying to format
  • Like 2

Watched an old favourite of mine from the 90's..Contact with Jodie Foster.

Watched it on a big TV with soundbar/surround sound, it's still a good film I think, although I wish they'd gone with the books ending.

Also watched Cabin in the woods with Chris Hemsworth, that was a good twist on a horror film, I quite enjoyed it.

This afternoon went in a cinema to see "Tenet" in IMAX, Was a bit unreal to be alone in a large screening room. They didn't even checked my phone as they knew I would be the only showing up after buying my ticket online. Wasn't really a movie I wanted to see in cinema. But as I was bored and got $100 of unused Cineplex gift cards, I decided to go and it's actually quite good.

I was expecting a confusing mess as Christopher Nolan high concept movies tend to be hit or miss. Like "Inception", it takes a bit of time to understand the universe and it's rules, but you can understand what's going on. Without going into too much details or spoilers, it's a different take on time travel and actually quite clever. Will definitely watch again once I get a digital copy to catch details I missed.

A few on Netflix some good and some fair

Christine

Inheritance 

Silence Of The Lambs

Beirut

Free State Of Jones

Murder On The Orient Express

The Coldest Game

Valkyrie

Pine Gap (series)

A Rambling While Watching Christine

RG

• Like 1

Just finished watching "The Trial Of The Chicago Seven" on Netflix

A 2020 movie, originally intended for movie theatres but because of coronavirus it is streaming on Netflix instead

A good movie, I recommend it

A rambling

RG 

• Like 1

I just finished the "Bly Manor" series thats on Netflix.

It's a follow up to the "Hill House" one from last year, with a lot of the same cast, but a different "scary story" .

I enjoyed it, but it wasn't terribly scary, more of a very sad series of love stories, with a supernatural theme to them, but all interwoven.

• Like 2

I've been watching a cute show from Australia called "Please Like Me"

It's billed as a comedy, but I'd say it's more of a drama with some funny moments.

Basic story is 2 late 20 somethings are best friends and live together, one of them realizes he's gay when his girlfriend breaks up with him because she knows he's gay.  His mom is suffering with some mental issues, his parents are divorced, and his best friend is a nerdy dude.

Let the hilarity ensue!

It's a pretty funny and heartwarming look at what feels like some pretty basic real life type situations.

• Like 2

A couple yesterday on Netflix

May not qualify as new (as in a new release) but it's my first time watching them

The Girl In The Spider's Web (sort of a sequel to The Girl With The Dragon's Tattoo)...this movie requires a little more close attention, so I'll have to watch again laptop set aside LOL

The Bank Job

And a few days ago I did it...fourth time watching but this time no laptop LOL...Lawrence Of Arabia...I think time wise it's the longest movie I've watched at 3hours 47 minutes.  A good movie but fair to say a chore to watch too

A rambling

RG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, roamingguy said:

The Girl In The Spider's Web (sort of a sequel to The Girl With The Dragon's Tattoo)...this movie requires a little more close attention, so I'll have to watch again laptop set aside LOL

If you can find them, check out the original Swedish films for the "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo " series which stars Noomi Rapace as Lisbeth.   They are very true to the novels and pretty intense as compared to the American versions.

I think they may have aired as a 6 part Swedish tv miniseries called "Millennium" as well as separately.

I was able to pick up the DVD / Bluray at Costco of all places a few years back when the novels got big in North America, so they are definitely out there and probably also available through more "nefarious" torrential means.

Edited by OldandNerdy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, OldandNerdy said:

"nefarious" torrential means.

A possible edit.... those would perhaps be "netfarious" means..... unless It becomes a binge session, in which case I defer to your original phrase :)

• Like 2

Not a movie but watching the series "Halt And Catch Fire" a fictionalized account of the start of the PC business.  Slow start but now it's got me LOL (I'm now on Season 1 Episode 9)

Detroit about the 1967 Detroit riots and the murders of three African American men by police

The Final Year  A documentary about President Barack Obama's final year in office

A Morning Rambling While Watching Halt And Catch Fire Over Cup Number One

RG

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, roamingguy said:

Not a movie but watching the series "Halt And Catch Fire" a fictionalized account of the start of the PC business.  Slow start but now it's got me LOL (I'm now on Season 1 Episode 9)

Hah!  I'm rewatching Halt and Catch fire myself!  I watched it when it originally aired, and loved every moment of it.

The first season is definitely slow, and really for the nerds through most of it, but each season builds on the previous both in character development and storyline, and they also introduce a new level of tech in each season.  

It's a fun and fairly accurate take on the computer industry of the times.

Season 1 is basically telling the story of Compaq

Season 2 is all about startup culture, I'm almost through 2 now

Season 3 is about how everything changes as you see success

Season 4 is the birth of the web

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In memory of Sean Connery who just died at the age of 90, there plenty of movies to recommend.

From "Dr.No" (1962) to "Never Say Never Again" (1983), "Highlander" (1986), "The Untouchables" (1987), "The Hunt for Red October" (1990), "The Rock" (1996) and even "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" (2003) where he remained professional in a not so great movie that made him retire.

Rest in peace Mr. Bond.

Edited by Guest

Also Playing by Heart (1998), a nice little movie which in addition to Sean Connery also has

Angelina Jolie

Jon Stewart 

Gillian Anderson 

Ryan Phillipe 

Dennis Quaid 

And many others!

• Like 2

Right now I'm watching A Bridge Too Far to be followed by The Longest Day (granted Sean Connery's role in TLD is not major)...then maybe Dr. No and From Russia With Love.  Yes over the years I've collected more than my share of DVD's (all of the Sean Connery James Bond) alot starring Sean Connery 🙂

If looking for some shows to watch on Netflix (not Sean Connery) the mini series The Queens Gambit is worth a watch.

The Front Runner (about Gary Hart) is worth a watch too if you like political movies

Oh and trivia...both Sean Connery and Gert  Frobe (aka James Bond and Goldfinger) first were on the beaches of Normandy in the Longest Day

A Rambling Over Cup Number Three

RG

longestday1.jpg

longestday2.jpg

longestday3.jpg

longestday4.jpg

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, roamingguy said:

Yes over the years I've collected more than my share of DVD's (all of the Sean Connery James Bond) alot starring Sean Connery 

Ditto for me..... but they were mostly Beta, with some VHS.....

• Like 2

Well today was doing not much at all so I watched a few movies instead LOL

I watch three Sean Connery movies yesterday, today watched Sean Connery JB movie From Russia With Love....IMO the best Bond movie ever

Then on Netflix watched the following (worth a look)

Widows

Papillon (an ok remake of the Steve McQueen Dustin Hoffman movie)...not quite as good, but not bad

Peppermint (it's not about mints LOL) Just a nice shoot 'em up vengeance pic...just entertainment

On the list to watch...

Argo

Ronin

A Before Bedtime Rambling

RG

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, OldandNerdy said:

Is this the Deniro "Ronin" ?

If so, one of my favourites

Yes...1998 movie starring Robert De Niro and Jean Reno

Good movie...one of my favs too

Likely I'll be watching it today