Tablet Advice Please

Guest Ot**w***og****n

I am considering buying a tablet with both WiFi and cellular capabilities and a data plan from a provider. Tablets seem to run from a few hundred dollars to up to around $900 depending upon memory capacity etc. As with any piece of technology there's little to be gained by buying more than what you need. The Apple iPad mini seems to be well-regarded for example but I've seen a lot of negative reviews as to the quality of accessories, e.g. cables etc. Then there are different operating systems to consider now as well. There are a lot of choices and options these days. I am doing my homework, but there sure is a lot to examine. My cell provider Telus sells a Blackberry Playbook with WiFi and cellular capabilities for about $500 or so which seems reasonable I guess or you can buy an iPad mini and purchase a data plan through your cell provider. I was wondering what people are using for tablets and what their level of satisfaction is as to price, features, value and performance. I would be using it locally instead of my PC or laptop and would take it with me while travelling within Canada. Thoughts and recommendations would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Guest S*rca****sid

I personally have a iPad. I don't see a need to buy a data plan for a table as I can tether my iPad with my phone and use my plan that I'm already paying for. Unless you are going to use it a lot for work, where you might be talking on the phone and using the tablet at the same time. Having two data plans would save you the time to go into your settings and setting up the tether mode.

Of course, any provider will try to sell the data plan simply because it will double their profits.

Guest jrose

I have a couple tablets that take sim cards and to be honest never use it for that function. Plus, if you have a smart phone less than couple years old you can turn on wifi and connect that way. Most providers will let you share your data with a sim card tablet for a fee, but if you look at putting that same amount into upgrading your data to use via a teather you usually end up with more total data to use..

With wifi everywhere these days I would worry more about getting a tablet that does what you want then how it's going to connect. Which is another issue all together :)

I currently use a Samsung Galaxxy, Is great works fantastic has good memory too and it uses a SIM card, the data plan usually for tablets is a pay as you go.. the other capability I have in my tablet is that it has a phone number so i can send and receive txts as in a telephone, I love it and is great to have internet access at all times...

• Like 1

Guest N***he**Ont**y

I too have a Galaxy and have no longer had any thoughts about getting a NetBook.No longer required. I traded in one of my Blackberries for it and I love it!

Guest jrose
I currently use a Samsung Galaxxy, Is great works fantastic has good memory too and it uses a SIM card, the data plan usually for tablets is a pay as you go.. the other capability I have in my tablet is that it has a phone number so i can send and receive txts as in a telephone, I love it and is great to have internet access at all times...

The text function makes the tabs the prefect hobby device - till you need to call. Someone :)

Guest p**h*x

Echoing what everyone else has said about tethering the tablet to your phone if you have one with that capability. The extra cost for both the tablet and the data is not worth it in my opinion. Plus, I find in just about all situations where I am using my tablet wifi is usually available.

Since you suggested a tablet would be a replacement of your PC or laptop then I would consider spending the cash on the tablets with the extra power. You will find at times the web browsing experience to be a little less than desired on tablets that don't have as much processing juice. More and more websites are providing mobile friendly versions nowadays but not all do yet, or they do but they suck so you switch to normal view, and it can be frustrating when the tablet can't keep up.

As for the different brands... they're all pretty much the same if you're looking at comparably spec'd versions of each brand. Whether it is the iPad, Samsung, Asus or Microsoft they all mostly have the same functionality. I think the decision comes down to balancing the features with your budget and figure out what you're comfortable with spending.

Guest N***he**Ont**y

My Galaxy S3 is great for texting using the personal assistant for sms. Verbal readout and voice dictation. My Galaxy assitant is named Sexy Girl and she even answers to that name!

I had an iPad 2 with wifi+cellular and now have an iPad mini (wifi only). I agree that you probably don't need a cellular plan with a tablet if you can use your phone as a hotspot.

iPad mini pros: size, weight and portability. It's Apple, so it works well and is very dependable. Lots of apps for it and price is very reasonable.

Cons: it can be a pain due to Apple restrictions. I hate that I can email myself a file (music), can listen to it from email, but not save it to my music app. Also, having problems trying to interface with the TV and home network.

Best bang for your buck is either the Nexus 7 which runs for 200 or the nexus 10 ... Both run on Androids newest software Jelly Bean 4.2.2 and are upgradeable when version 5 comes out. If you google reviews you will see that Nexus 7 is ranked #1 over the Ipad Mini

Since you suggested a tablet would be a replacement of your PC or laptop then I would consider spending the cash on the tablets with the extra power. You will find at times the web browsing experience to be a little less than desired on tablets that don't have as much processing juice. More and more websites are providing mobile friendly versions nowadays but not all do yet, or they do but they suck so you switch to normal view, and it can be frustrating when the tablet can't keep up.

I forgot to say that.. I would not replace my laptop for the tablet completely as I find there is still many things and capabilities I enjoy of an actual computer....

I think it depends on what you are planning to use the tablet for. If it is just to check your email and to surf on cerb from home then pretty much anything will do as these things do not take a very powerful tablet. Like a number of people have mentioned if you have a newer smart phone and already have a data plan with that then a data plan is not needed for your tablet. If you have an Iphone or an Ipod then you might want to go with an Ipad just for familiarity. Personally I have all Android stuff because it is cheaper and gives you all the same features.

Guest Ot**w***og****n

Thanks again for the suggestions everyone. I intend on keeping both my laptop and my PC as I work a lot with them. The tablet will be used mostly for routine surfing (Google searches), emailing and of course CERBing. Things like online banking will be done from my PC and I wouldn't do anything over unsecure WiFi that involves anything financial. My current cell phone is a basic one, not a smart phone or iphone or anything like that...it works as a phone and that's it. Likely I will opt for an Android operating system tablet for the reasons mentioned in this thread. I really don't need much. It would be nice to have something to take with me when I leave home or just want something small and light to surf with. I'm not technically adept so simplicity and ease of use is important. Thanks again.

Reading through this thread brings to mind an issue I ran into with wifi. Some places have filters on their wifi that block CERB access.

Is that still an issue or is that still in place? Can a tablet running on wifi provide access to here?

Just curious.

Reading through this thread brings to mind an issue I ran into with wifi. Some places have filters on their wifi that block CERB access.

Is that still an issue or is that still in place? Can a tablet running on wifi provide access to here?

Just curious.

That's nothing to do with the tablet or whatever device you use to access the network... it's policy set by whoever owns/runs the network.

Your best bet for circumventing this sort of thing is a VPN service, which encrypts everything between your machine and the VPN gateway; this means you're immune to any policies set by the local network administrator, and has the added bonus that neither they nor anyone else can snoop on what you're doing. VPN services don't cost much. I've seen StrongVPN recommended here before, although I haven't tried them myself.

As an additional added bonus, these are also good for getting around geographical restrictions on services like Netflix because you now look like you're accessing the site from wherever your VPN gateway is :) The better services will allow you to change - on the fly - the country that your VPN gateway is in.

Guest Ot**w***og****n

I was at Staples yesterday and I checked out some of the tablets they have including iPad Mini, Google/Nexus (on sale), Samsung etc. I found out I definitely want or need a keyboard as typing on the screen isn't going to work for me. Bluetooth allows an accessory keyboard which could be helpful. A tablet would take some getting used to as I still really like my laptop even though it's getting on in years. We'll see I guess. Thanks kindly again for the suggestions.

That's nothing to do with the tablet or whatever device you use to access the network... it's policy set by whoever owns/runs the network.

Yup... knew it had nothing to do with the hardware. But I thank you for indirectly answering the question. :) And you're right. Getting a VPN app is the best way to get around the problem.

Had a 1st Gen Ipad.. hated it.. too big

now have a 16g and a 32g Ipad mini.... love them both...

only got the Wifi version. there really is no need to get the 3g or cellular if you have a smart phone....connect to the net using your cell phone as a hotspot...

The battery life on the mini is unbelieveable, great camera.... and tons of apps.

perfect size..... for me..

good luck

Guest Ot**w***og****n

I never did pull the trigger on a tablet as I am so used to using a desktop and a laptop. I bought a new laptop instead which will be just fine for me. I found with tablets people either love them or hate them. I can't say I hate them or that I will not buy one at some point in time, but I prefer a higher end laptop instead.