Lyla users and their pets

I've had tons of pets over the years, from livestock to house pets. I especially love birds. My last Finch finally crossed over this year after 15+ years. WHAT Finch lives that long??? We were beginning to wonder if Audubon was playing a joke on us.

Jake was my last rescue and he was a gem. The most quiet dog I've ever had and a Yorkie/Silky Terrier to boot. He lived until 17. He declined rather quickly and I spent a month of constant care before "the big decision". I cried for weeks.

So after a year I have a new doggie called Marley. She is a rescue and is a stubborn little thing. She is a bit younger than I prefer but fell in love with her the minute I saw her. In people years she is about 19 and acts just like one. She can be a handful, and is as stubborn as a Terrier can be.

A few months after she came home, she was hit by a car while on walkies (driver fell asleep and crossed 2 lanes of traffic to end up on the sidewalk at 70kph). Both are lucky to be alive. My bf took the brunt as he shielded her from the hit. She was slightly injured anyway and still suffers some behavioural issues even though this happened at the beginning of August.

But she is a little darling, and I am working with her to stop the fear and the need to be around me all the time.

Yes I spoil her, it's so easy.

This is her bed (similar)

3EEE4122_zpsbdaba2f1.jpg"]3EEE4122_zpsbdaba2f1.jpg[/url]

Which she rarely uses. And this is Marley.

IMG_1360_zps0c88d4b6.jpg"]IMG_1360_zps0c88d4b6.jpg[/url]

• Like 2

I use to have a black rabbit named velvet he was the size of a cat no joke he's been gone for 3 years now I miss him alot going to get another rabbit when I move out of here

I have always been an obsessed lover of cats! Just recently my cat died (I used to have two) and I think in the new year I'd like to adopt a new little lover, but I was thinking perhaps I'd like a dog - a Cocker Spaniel to be specific.

Firstly, what are your opinions of the differences between being a caretaker of cats and dogs ... and

Secondly, does anyone know the temperaments of Cocker Spaniels? I like more independent pets (because I am the needy one) and the animal has to be MINE, if you know what I mean. My grandfather had a CS while I was growing up and she was such a beautiful dog! So easy going and gentle, but maybe that was because of my grandpa's influence ... ?

Thanx for your input :)

Guest realnicehat

Elle,

I think you will find it's a pretty big difference owning cats and dogs. Depending on your lifestyle, dogs can be a little too high maintenance for some. Especially Cockers which are a pretty high energy breed, particularly when they are young.

I know a lot of cat owners that love how independent their animals are and the fact that you can leave them alone for a significant amount of time (overnight etc). You move to dogs and suddenly you are dealing with a Stage 5 Clinger.

Now, to be clear, all of this is coming from a die hard dog lover. I'm not trying to talk you out of anything, I just want you to be certain of the commitment you are making, especially if you are thinking of a puppy.

Depending on your availability I would recommend adopting a 1 year old from a shelter. They are often somewhat trained and you will be amazed at how quickly they will bond to you.

ps. I have relatives who always had Cockers. The females were wonderful but they had to put the male down at two because he was just plain mean and no amount of professional training could stop him from biting. I'm sure he wasn't the norm though.

Realnicehat is bang on: it's a considerable difference owning cats vs. dogs. I've had both (though the cat belonged to my girlfriend at the time).

Cats are solitary creatures, and dogs are pack animals: so if you have a dog, prepare to provide the PE, or Pack Experience. A LOT. Your dog wants to be with you, and to DO things with you. A LOT. Cats are mostly okay if you feed them and they'll let you know if they want to cuddle for a bit now and then.

Your dog will become depressed if you don't walk him/her, play with him/her, and make him/her feel loved and part of something. On the other hand... that's just true of any worthwhile relationship, so love your dog and make him/her an active, ongoing, frequent part of your life and you'll get all of that back in spades. It's the only really unconditional love.

Incidentally I have two dogs -- siblings from the same litter so they've known each other from the womb onward. Much as I love my dogs and doing things with them, they provide each other with a kind of peer companionship I can't give them. They love to sniff things together, bark at things together, and lick each other's ears, and at least one of those things I'm not much inclined to do.

I'm definitely NOT suggesting getting two dogs now -- it's a double handful. I already had one rescue dog from midlife to heartbreaking finish, and only took on two in this second round of dog ownership after a pause of many years. That said, for those who feel up to it, I can report that I think it does wonders for both of my dogs to have each other in addition to me.

• Like 3

Firstly, what are your opinions of the differences between being a caretaker of cats and dogs ... and

Secondly, does anyone know the temperaments of Cocker Spaniels? I like more independent pets (because I am the needy one) and the animal has to be MINE, if you know what I mean.

I strongly agree with what others here have said. There's a huge difference between having a cat and having a dog. With a dog, you are its life, and when you're not around or off busy with something else, your dog has no life. It's like putting the dog in solitary confinement, a form of torture.

Not only will this make the dog miserable, but it will likely act out by chewing or tearing things up, barking nonstop or other bad behaviour. Many dogs end up being surrendered to rescue because people get them without realizing the commitment they require.

• Like 1

Guest N***he**Ont**y

Interactivity between dog and owners are a must or they get so bored. As a victim of the Prince Of Thieves trashing the kitchen from time to time you soon realize doggy wants more attention because he is bored!

I used to have 4 dogs.. But I had to give away my 3 boys... :(

I don't think I'll ever get over it.. :(

I know I still have my girl, my princess..

But they were ALL my beloved babies!!!!!

Anyone who has never been close to an animal wouldn't understand...

And even though I get to visit them occasionally..

It's not ever going to be enough!!!

It's like a big part of my soul is missing!!! :( </3

• Like 1

I had a pet dog for many many years....miss my puppy :(

Now I spend time with my favorite kitty's from Cerb EVERY moment I can....Meow......... :)))))

And on Cerb our resident pet donkey .... it's the new look donkey ;)

Owning a farm and having kids.........it's been a ride, for sure. New calves that need names and attention- especially preemies. Litters of kittens every time I turned around and being torn between showing them to my kids or praying the kids didn't find them. Accident-prone foals. Baby birds......omfg......my kids would find them, bring them to me, we'd work out a mothering routine for them, and then my kids would disappear to grampies house for a few days.....grrrr. Friggin' things were usually too young when they were found and they would usually die just before my kids got home, but the kids just moved on to the next adventure without a "thanks for trying, dad"!

Dogs....love 'em. I grew up with Border Collies and my current girl is now 15 and showing it. Loves the indoors in the wintertime (like me) and, when the time comes, my wife will have to take her to the vet because I cannot. I'll bury her on the farm in a special spot and cry when nobody's watching. My wife has a useless furball that she loves and spoils (okay, I kinda like her, too) that is a Lhasa Apso- Schitzu cross.....sorta like a cat.

Oh, btw......cat lovers......you don't own cats- they own you! LOL

• Like 5

My wife just got this cat for my 22 year old son for Christmas

blue-persian-cat.jpg

Looks like the above picture. She thought that he would want his own pet. His sister has many pets.

He was surprised and said he didn't want a cat. Didn't want any responsibilities :(

But he is playing with it now. Hopefully he likes it. We already have 2 dogs, 2 cats now. 2 snakes. a tarantula and other creatures :)

Guest realnicehat

This is why I'm against animals being given as gifts. I'm sure your wife's heart was in the right place but buying someone a pet without discussing it with them is irresponsible.

I love them and couldn't live without them, but they are a challenge.

This past week, I'm working with a bruise on my face where the puppy whipped his head around and whacked me. And a really ugly bruise and puncture spot on my shoulder where one cat used the climbing spurs to escape one of the dogs' attention.

If I beat them up like they beat me up, I'd find myself before a judge. But I guess since I'm the human here, I'm just supposed to grin and bear it.

At least my toenail is finally growing out from last summer.

Let's just pray they don't discover fire.

The Toronto Cat Rescue got me!

I adopted a second kitty! Her name is Riff-Raff and she looks exactly like Grimlock, except a bit bigger.

I am going to have a black cat harem.

• Like 2

I adopted Andy two and a half years ago. I don't know what I would do without him. He is a great conversationalist. He always has something to talk about. He is also a great cuddler....

I love him so much.

1781171_3779534864397_1262022271_o.jpg885109_2936250262809_184629136_o.jpg1523793_3779537544464_1133947328_o.jpg

• Like 4

Another kitten showed up the other week. There was a fire close by, and she smells like smoke.

Very tiny, black and white. Terrified of other cats, but loves being cuddled and loved. Now I just need to raise the money to get her spayed and find her a new home.

Cat rescue - now at 30 cats spayed/neutered and re-homed in one year. Each spayed/neutered cat prevents 9 million unwanted cats in 9 years. I figure I've prevented 135 million unwanted cats so far.

Thank you to everyone that adopts animals. It really helps!

New puppy, she is now 6 months old, and turning into a real nice dog. She was a crazy lunatic at first, but she seems to be settling down. Still has her moments, but I like her.

• Like 4