I'm a companion. I offer companionship rather than provide services. Sometimes I refer to myself as a "paid companion" or "professional companion." I use the word "courtesan" in advertising occasionally. I have no problem with the word "prostitute," but others find it off-putting or reductionist and so I use it mostly when making a particular point about my work or our industry.

The gentlemen I see are my guests or visitors. If I'm talking about some aspect of our profession, I generally refer to them as clients because that's a way to be clear about things like professional boundaries and expectations.

• Like 4

I am a gentleman who sees ladies

The fact that it is a paid date doesn't make the ladies any less ladies or me any less of a gentleman

It just means our relationship if you will is the most upfront and honest male/female relationship

RG

• Like 1

Like Samantha, I consider myself to be a companion. At times a label is simply a matter of semantics, but I do believe this term to be a much more representative of the type of experience I offer. It is also representative of my attitude while I'm hosting.

Like Cat, I consider my clients to be guests. Colloquially I will sometimes refer to my guests as clients. I've used patron in advertising before, but I never (ever) use "John" or "Hobbyist".

"John" as a term really homogenizes all clients, and it also reinforces stereotypes about the 'typical' client we hear about in the media which we all know isn't accurate. I've never really understood the term 'hobbyist' to be honest.

• Like 6

Cat made a post in another thread awhile back which seems germane to this thread. Here it is, copied/pasted and reposted for discussion

Thanks Cat for such good contributions

And here is the link to the thread

http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59279&highlight=john

RG

I had a wonderful conversation with an SP and we were discussing the Ontario COA proceedings. She defined hobbyists in a clear, concise manner that I had never considered before.

The term "John" implies someone who is intentionally anonymous to the SP. That's where the term John came from. The purchaser is never identified and if there is violence or issue, he is not held accountable because the SP cannot identify him.

The term client is applicable to someone that initiates a business relationship with an SP, providing his name and information to verify who he is, thus allowing us to take precautionary steps to ensure our safety.

I have always felt there is a huge difference between a client and a John, I simply never defined why. Her clarity was dead on. This article is offensive to me on every level. I don't know where they find these guys or what questions they asked to elicit such responses.

cat

• Like 1

I adore the term courtesan, which stems from French "courtisane", a fancy way to designate a sophisticated maitresse...

• Like 1

Guest C**Tra****er

I like to think of myself as a gentleman. I dislike the term "john" and although client seems to be the most common term, I'm not really fond of that one either. I'm not sure which word would be better, but from my way of thinking, it makes me feel like I'm paying for a service. True, I am, and I know that I am, but I don't want to "feel" like I am. lol

Does that sound like a have your cake and eat it kind of thing?

What I like is when you see a lady for repeat encounters, well actually more like dates, and the truly accurate name you can apply to one another is friend

It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it is special

RG

• Like 1

Having read through this thread and agreed with most all, the most important thing for me though is the respectful context that the word(s) are used in, beit written or verbal, light heated or serious, private or public - its all about the respect not only offered but perceived to be offered as well............

• Like 1

Well, I consider myself a client as I find the word 'john' a bit harsh for online purposes. Most of the men who visit this site are looking for just one thing, so we are not in most cases, friends or lovers of the ladies, we are online sophisticated 'johns' who find it safer and easier to do it this way, on this site or others. I consider myself to be with the 'gentlemen' on this site, but I fear we are in the minority in this pastime...just sayin !