Do you think negotiating rates is ok?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think negotiating rates is ok?

• Yes, it is fine to negotiate a sp's rate (even if they do not advertise rates being negotiable)
    • No, it is unacceptable to negotiate a sp's rate (unless she advertises as negotiable)
    • Still on the fence.

There is one HUGE point that seems to consistently be glossed over be the "negotiators". The facts that, if an ad or a website clearly states the duration and donations offered with the addition of "prices are firm and shall not be negotiated", then, yes, it is rude to negotiate. Quite simple really.

Additional Comments:

There is one HUGE point that seems to consistently be glossed over be the "negotiators". The facts that, if an ad or a website clearly states the duration and donations offered with the addition of "prices are firm and shall not be negotiated", then, yes, it is rude to negotiate. Quite simple really.

• Like 3

Additional Comments:

Your additional Comments are spot on. Maybe thats what you should of posted originally when the thread was started.

is not acceptable! This isn't a flea market. Take the time to find out what options a lady offers (ie length of time and corresponding donations) and either book with her or continue your search!

BTW "can you do x amount of time for x amount of donation?" is akin to negotiating!

I think Meg was pretty spot on with her opening thread quoted here. Just some are pretty slow picking up the ball, if they ever can pick up the ball

RG

• Like 3

Your additional Comments are spot on. Maybe thats what you should of posted originally when the thread was started.

I am quite comfortable with my original post thanks.

Additional Comments:

I think Meg was pretty spot on with her opening thread quoted here. Just some are pretty slow picking up the ball, if they ever can pick up the ball

RG

Yeah, not everyone is "athletic" I guess :)

I made a post about something that I feel is important to relay so that all involved can have the best experience possible. If you don't agree the the view that a lot of us see as important, then you are more than welcome to seek out those ladies who will support your view. Apparently, there are a lot of them so I don't see a problem

Peace all!

• Like 1

Guest webothscore

Generally speaking to some of the dudes out there:

Most oceans are bigger than lakes. Most cities are more populated that towns. Large trucks are bigger than small trucks. Most providers do not appreciate negotiating. No need to persuade the OP or others the other way. If you are happy with the negotiating you have done to date, well, good for you and those providers. I hope that satisfies you for years to come. I have the feeling it won't, because if those agreements were satisfying, you would not feel the need to persuade others. And by the way, how many encounters can you possibly have a month for it to make a difference? Negotiating on huge materialistic things will make a bigger difference to your wallet, not intimate encounters with providers. It's not the same service. I cannot see some because I cannot afford them at the moment. Trust me dudes. You are limiting yourselves to who you can see. Just trying to help some of you.

Generally speaking to some of the dudes out there:

Most oceans are bigger than lakes. Most cities are more populated that towns. Large trucks are bigger than small trucks. Most providers do not appreciate negotiating. No need to persuade the OP or others the other way. If you are happy with the negotiating you have done to date, well, good for you and those providers. I hope that satisfies you for years to come. I have the feeling it won't, because if those agreements were satisfying, you would not feel the need to persuade others. And by the way, how many encounters can you possibly have a month for it to make a difference? Negotiating on huge materialistic things will make a bigger difference to your wallet, not intimate encounters with providers. It's not the same service. I cannot see some because I cannot afford them at the moment. Trust me dudes. You are limiting yourselves to who you can see. Just trying to help some of you.

With all due respect, webothscore, and others, your not helping these "dudes" out... at this point in this thread, your merely feeding the trolls.

Guest webothscore
With all due respect, webothscore, and others, your not helping these "dudes" out... at this point in this thread, your merely feeding the trolls.

Thanks Touchwould2. Actually, to show that I kind of agree with you, check out this thread I started yesterday, clearly before posting on this thread today.

http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=141923

I simply stuck with the OP's wish to keep discussing, so hey, I thought people were happy to discuss, so I joined in. In fact, the OP of this thread responded to my thread with class. It's all about respect, which most here on cerb have shown. Enjoy your day everyone.

Hey point taken...please excuse if i came across as a bit too impatient. I'm all for open discussion and I love this space for that, and Meg is being very generous with these fellows I think here...but....anyway...my 2 cents...

As this thread unfolded i was thinking along the same lines ... not necessarily about "feeding trolls", but where there is discussion there is room for negotiating - negotiating being somewhat a form of discussion. We most definitely want to make ourselves (the Ladies) heard and most importantly understood, but hopefully when reality strikes (as it always does) and Negotiation comes-a-knocking we can hold ourselves tall and stand strong with our decisions of what we will do and will not do and NEVER have to endure being bullied because our choices don't seem to jive with others.

• Like 3

My 2 cents:

Many ladies do offer special rates when things are "slow" or like myself offer a reduced rate when nature gets in the way of FS...Does this make me a bad SP? No, I don't think so, and neither do the people who book that special.

We don't all do things the same way, and if you do things differently, feel free to continue doing what works for you... but DO NOT imply that negotiable rates are wrong for EVERYONE, only yourself. As said previously in this thread, your voice is yours, not that of all SPs.

Don't wanna be bargained with? DON'T REPLY.

Asking about reduced rates/specials isn't a crime, but if the lady advertises non-negotiable prices then you can expect her to get angry about it.

Continuing to bargain AFTER being told no is just annyoing.

What else is there to discuss? End of story.

Edited by xXxAxXx
  • Like 6

An offered/advertised special is far different than a flat out negotiation. I also never implied to speak for all ladies, actually, I made it quite clear that I didn't. Thank you for understanding the most important reason for this thread tho :) .... Reading ads and websites thoroughly is the only way to go!

• Like 9

Negotiating is a part of life when dealing with independent contractors. There are a lot of times that we can not negotiate prices in life, such as McDonald's, the grocery store, buying clothes at a department store etc...

But when dealing with electricians, roofers, mechanics, and other independent workers, negotiating is part of life.

I am in a line of work where I constantly negotiate prices with my customers, and when done properly, politely and respectfully, I have no problem with it.

I don't see why a lady here would be offended by someone attempting to negotiate a price if it is done respectfully.

What is wrong with me saying "I have $140. Can we work something out for that price?" or "I know you list $150hh but is there any way you can see me for $120hh?"

There is nothing rude about that, and if the lady says no, then that's it, end of story.

The last time I went to the mechanic I told them "I know there are several things that need fixing, and I know the total costs, but I only have $600 to spend this week, so what can you do for me?" And we worked out a deal...

Anyways, if a guy asks properly about prices and negotiating, I don't see why anyone should be offended.

I think the whole thread is about the fact that just the question is offensive. The fact is, it isn't possible to ask someone in this business to take less than their quoted rates without offending them, because it implies, like it or not, that you don't think she is worth what she charges.

And that will always be the bottom line, not that you can only take 100 out of the ATM so that's all you have, but that you don't think she should be charging 120 so you decide you aren't going to pay her 120.

In a business, and on forums, a big reason why there are sps providing higher risk services and lower and lower rates is due to pressure just like this. And let's face it, there comes a time when the sps say enough, no more, they aren't going to sit silent any longer about this degradation of this business.

It's insulting to have someone imply you aren't worth it, and that is all anyone really needs to know about this subject.

regarding the mechanic agreeing to a certain price, they will do that only in TRUE negotiation, by not providing all of the work and time that was in the original quote. And specifically mentioned by me: if you expect an sp to drop her rate, if you were doing a real negotiation you would first tell her that you do not want something normally provided in that regular rate.

• Like 8

Not too long ago I got an idiot who asked me for half-price special. I told him that he might as well keep his money as he need it way much more than I do. That is how I see negotiators. If any negotiators on this board are offended by my comment: GOOD! I'm not interested to do business with you.

Pay the rates or die starving.

• Like 9

Guest realnicehat

Wow, I really didn't think that this discussion would still be going on five days after I left a smart assed remark on the first page.....I guess you pick your battles and everybody has picked this one.

I think the ladies have made themselves pretty clear so I am simply going to comment on some statements regarding how they would apply to my line of work as I also find negotiating annoying.

Negotiating is a part of life when dealing with independent contractors.

I am an independent contractor and I disagree. Quotes are offered and prices compared. Bids are either accepted or rejected. Once accepted they are not a starting point.

When dealing with electricians, roofers, mechanics, and other independent workers, negotiating is part of life.

I have had one, yes one, person try to negotiate with me this year. They told me they had lower bids and wondered what I could do for them. I politely informed them that I would remove myself from the picture so that they could focus on selecting another contractor.

What is wrong with me saying "I have $140. Can we work something out for that price?" or "I know you list $150hh but is there any way you can see me for $120hh?"

You're wasting my time. You have my price, it is what it is. Like many of the SP's on this board I am established, I am reputable, and I am busy. My labour rates have been set to cover my costs and and provide a reasonable level of profit. It does not include wiggle room.

As I said, I have only had to deal with one wheeler/dealer this year so I could likely handle a few more without frustration. I guess I should consider myself lucky that I also don't have to worry about no-shows, stalkers, the angry wives of careless customers, or time wasters.

Guest A*ro**n

Great post, with a lot of good debating going on. I'm in the "If you see the price reduced you should expect to see the quality of service reduced as well" camp.

When I've been reading this among other posts here, a question has popped in to my head. As SP/MA's do you see a need to organize more at the local level? You all seem to deal with common issues like this one of hagglers. I'm sure there's a whole host of other issues that come up with clients, safety, and the like. I'm guess I'm thinking more along the lines of support group rather than a union.

RG

Don't be so hard on yourself. You will pick up that ball soon enough.

Megs additional comments and her original post are extremely different. I'm sorry if you can't see that.

Hmmm I guess posts can't really be considered conversations....such as, in they should be able to evolve. Perhaps the next time I start a thread I will think up every objection and take a few hours formulating my thoughts before starting a thread that was meant to be helpful.

There will always be different views on every single subject that could possibly ever be discussed, yes, discussed. An online forum is a faceless version of a discussion but putting words into someone else's mouth is not appropriate.

• Like 1

Don't be so hard on yourself. You will pick up that ball soon enough.

Megs additional comments and her original post are extremely different. I'm sorry if you can't see that.

woosh, goes the 747 right over your head. Have you actually read ANY of the replies from providers?

1069240_10200303339854235_393085672_n.jpg

I hate the talking about money part, so I wouldn't negotiate just on this basis. I just try to get that angle over with. Fortunately, a lot of SPs clearly list their rates on their websites, so I can often simply not even bring the subject up, just have the amount (or more) in the envelope.

A bit of etiquette I'm not sure about is after inquiring about rates (over messaging) for a lady which does not publicly publish them and finding out she's a bit too... elite for your means. Cutting the conversation there seems rude (even if you're no longer wasting her time), but a "Sorry, but I don't believe I can afford this. Thank you for your time." response could be construed as negotiation, also rude.

Maybe I worry too much...

I hate the talking about money part, so I wouldn't negotiate just on this basis. I just try to get that angle over with. Fortunately, a lot of SPs clearly list their rates on their websites, so I can often simply not even bring the subject up, just have the amount (or more) in the envelope.

A bit of etiquette I'm not sure about is after inquiring about rates (over messaging) for a lady which does not publicly publish them and finding out she's a bit too... elite for your means. Cutting the conversation there seems rude (even if you're no longer wasting her time), but a "Sorry, but I don't believe I can afford this. Thank you for your time." response could be construed as negotiation, also rude.

I don't think anyone would consider someone who says "out of my price range, thank you for your time" is rude. As stated over and over, its for those that want to lowball an established rate and says "will you do it for "insert $" less then you advertise. That is when it becomes rude and inconsiderate. If you feel the rates are too high for your budget, move on. No harm, no fowl.

• Like 1

Tallguy, I would suggest something along the lines of a simple "OK, thanks so much for the reply and information. Have a good day/night."

It's polite and let's you acknowledge their response without leading them on, but also isn't so long that you have to worry you're wasting their time.

• Like 7