Diets? Your experience

I have just been on Jenny Craig and I have to say that it is great the food is good and the support is great. I have gained good eating habits and have lost 20 lbs in the last 6 months that I feel confident I can keep off. I think the most important thing about a diet is you have to make a lifestyle change with it.

• Like 2

It's 2015, Who has started a new diet and kept to it so far :)

What diet's have worked for you over the years?

Guest Ou**or**n

I've always had success with the 'eat less and exercise diet' but gained weight back when I switched to the 'eat more and watch lots of TV diet'.

On a more serious note, 90% of dieting is consuming less calories than you eat. The trick is not to starve while doing so. For me this means eating 3 meals a day with a mid-afternoon snack that includes protein and a light mid-evening snack. I eat as little processed foods as possible but I still do eat carbs in the form of whole grains, fruits and vegetables.

I also have success when tracking and logging my calories using My Fitness Pal. Logging your foods and calories can be quite an opener and gives you a much truer appreciation for vegetables.

I have never dieted in my life but I have been vegetarian or vegan since I was just a wee thing so there is that.

The one thing I can say about it is how it taught me to watch what I eat, because I am always having to check labels for ingredients I am also looking at what vitamins and nutrients I am getting.

Another huge benefit has been when I travel, as a frequent traveller I don't have the option to cook for myself most nights. When I am with friends they may stop at Starbucks and grab a cake with their coffee but my options are far more limited so I usually just grab a banana. Same thing if we are driving somewhere, they can stop at the rest stop and grab a Mc D's burger but I will end up in the rest stop store picking with an apple and maybe some nuts or a Clif bar if I want some munchies. It forces me to eat smarter, to pick out the fruit and vegetables rather than what is just convenient.

• Like 1

I have never dieted in my life.... and it shows.... yep I could lose a few pounds.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

I have met quite a few Cerb/Lyla women who are vegetarians or vegan's and lead the healthy lifestyle. They are all slim, beautiful and have great skin and a glow about them.

I've tried to eat Raw for a while, and vegetarian, but couldn't do it. Felt weak and tired without the protein :(. And also with a family it would be hard to do unless the whole family became vegetarian. It is a healthy life style and people have lost weight and cured certain illnesses by turning to healthy vegetarian diet.

I have met quite a few Cerb/Lyla women who are vegetarians or vegan's and lead the healthy lifestyle. They are all slim, beautiful and have great skin and a glow about them.

I've tried to eat Raw for a while, and vegetarian, but couldn't do it. Felt weak and tired without the protein :(. And also with a family it would be hard to do unless the whole family became vegetarian. It is a healthy life style and people have lost weight and cured certain illnesses by turning to healthy vegetarian diet.

The protein should never be an issue if you are eating properly but many people do not. Many people are consume more protein than their body requires. Still being vegetarian or vegan it isn't a lifestyle I expect everyone to switch to but yes it is quite healthy, I think one just has to look at the changes in Clinton to see what it can do for ones heart. Really I mentioned it because in going vegetarian/vegan it taught me a lot of healthy habits that I think others can incorporate in their life simply by checking labels, being aware of what their body needs and how they consume it and making better choices when snacking. :)

Oh and as for Raw, while I know people that say they are doing quite well on a raw diet I am not a supporter of eating 100% raw. Cooking food helps to break down cell walls and can often increase the amount of nutrients available to us. Still like everything I believe it should all be in moderation, eat some raw, eat some cooked, eat some brownies or drink wine once in awhile. You can find some benefit in most everything if you look for it and don't over do it.

Ref.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/315856-animal-protein-vs-vegetable-protein/

http://vancityveg.com/files/2013/03/proteinchart-e1364771524680.jpg

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/raw-veggies-are-healthier/

• Like 2

Don't drink pop or juice!

thinkdrink-600x4501.jpg

clean-and-lean-think-before-you-drink-sugar-how-much-sugar-is-in-drinks-james-duigan-handbag.jpg

Drink two a day, and that is all your body needs for sugar (aka carbohydrates, aka energy) per day.

_75844736_2010623_daily_added_sugar_v3.gif

The remaining energy that you would derive from any food you consume will be stored as fat, waiting until it is needed. Your body will always choose the easy sources of sugar, instead of breaking down fat to source the energy requirements that it needs. But beware. If you find yourself getting easily irritated, this can usually be due a low blood sugar levels. Eat a piece of fruit, which also has high sugar contents, but also other beneficial things such as fibre and vitamins, and your mood should improve :-)

1304-fruit-chart-o_2535202b.jpg

• Like 2

My suggestions:

Lean protein: Egg whites, shrimp, lobster, chicken breasts, fish, lean beef

Vegetables: Kale, broccoli, green beans, pea pods

Fruit: Raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, grapefruit & apples.

Grains: oatmeal, quinoa, wild rice

Dairy: small portion of skim milk now and again

Water... Water

If you eat exclusively within these foods (you don't buy or keep anything else at home), you should see a difference. Now I realize that you shouldn't limit only to those for the long term, but if you push this for a month or two you will lose weight and you'll develop good eating habits. It's all about discipline.

• Like 1

My suggestions:

Lean protein: Egg whites, shrimp, lobster, chicken breasts, fish, lean beef

Vegetables: Kale, broccoli, green beans, pea pods

Fruit: Raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, grapefruit & apples.

Grains: oatmeal, quinoa, wild rice

Dairy: small portion of skim milk now and again

Water... Water

If you eat exclusively within these foods (you don't buy or keep anything else at home), you should see a difference. Now I realize that you shouldn't limit only to those for the long term, but if you push this for a month or two you will lose weight and you'll develop good eating habits. It's all about discipline.

+1. This should work great! Good luck

I have lost 15 lbs in the last 9 months and plan on losing another 5 lbs to reach my goal of 22% body fat, and I don't diet. I do two things:

1 daily exercise, twice a week resistance training, heavy weights, low reps. The other days I either go for a quick 6 k walk or use my treadmill for 45 min (long enough to watch an episode of Vampire Diaries).

2 I practice Intermittent Fasting. My fasting period is 16 hrs a day (8pm to 12 noon) and I don't consume any calories, green tea or water only. For the eating period, I eat whatever I want. Why does IM work? Because I compress the eating period into only 8 hrs I am less hungry ( less time between meals) so my over all calorie intack is less. Also, near the end of the fasting period the body burns more fat ( because I haven't eaten for a while)

A side benefit for men, during the fasting period, your natural testosterone levels increase. Don't believe me? Which do you think is more aggressive, a hungry man or a well fed man (if you can wake him up)?

• Like 2

An excellent article

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

And it's 100% true. In my opinion, diets don't work. If you restrict yourself, you will lose weight but the second you eat those things again, it's coming back. A lifestyle change is the ONLY option!

I have lost 16lbs since the beginning of May. And I have been tracking my calories (MyFitnessPal app!) and making sure there's a deficit! I eat chocolate, I eat ice cream, I drink wine. I don't starve myself. But I AM mindful of portions. Tracking my calories has made me more aware of food and food choices!! (Did you know an apple pie from McDonald's has less calories than a raisin bran muffin from Robins Donuts? Lol)

It's also about figuring out YOUR ideal caloric intake for the day. And also, what to eat that works for you to curb your cravings.

For example... I tried having smoothies for breakfast. We are talking protein powder, kale/spinach, greens powder, maca powder, frozen berries, half a banana and almond milk. Same caloric intake as what I'm eating now - BUT I found that, psychologically, because I wasn't "eating" anything, I was finding myself hungry.

Now, i sautée veggies and then add egg to make an omelet. Usually add black beans. I'll have it with a bit of fruit, and one piece of gluten free raisin cinnamon toast. Add my coffee, and I have a breakfast that's usually around 300 calories, less than 7g of fat, has 8g of fibre and 29g of protein!!! I will have a snack mid day, but really I'm not hungry til supper time. So finding what will hold you is KEY!!!

I also start EVERY day with warm lemon water on an empty stomach. And I drink lemon water all day long (cool). HUGE benefits!!! Plus then you aren't drinking all your calories!!!

• Like 4

Guest *Ste***cque**

I think being fit is better than being slim. If you carry extra weight but your body is strong and healthy, be happy. Weight isn't as big an indicator of health as studies suggested. I've seen skinny runners in worse health than wrestlers. Of course, I'm not suggesting you shouldn't take steps to lose weight if you're severely obese.

I rarely step on a scale. If my shirts get tight or I struggle to do the same # body weight exercises like pull ups I weigh myself. As I get older my metabolism slows and I put on weight so I do need to watch what I eat. Exercise won't be enough.

I have done a paleo diet in the past and had good success. You generally eat one large meal(meat or fish, veggies, eggs) at the end of the day and have nuts and some fruit to get you though the day. Similar to how animals or your ancestors used to eat. I'm not a big breakfast eater and won't count calories so this works with little adjustment in my daily routine, which is important. The only downside is you should abstain from alcohol but I like a glass wine at meal time. I might lose more weight if I cut out the wine but it's about balance too. I agree with Blackbird, occasional fasting could additionally help our body and our mind. Good luck!

So I have NEVER eaten breakfast or Lunch. I know bad and I would snack on junk food throughout the day. Due to this I was thinking about juicing but the thing about that is it's very expensive. Also, you need a full fridge of veggies, which means frequent trips to the grocery store and it takes a lot of veggies to blend into a single serving, or so I heard by people who have tried it. In my opinion shakeology is a great alternative. Also, you can find a variety of shakeology recipes on pinterest. The best part is I no longer need to shovel my mouth full of junk food throughout the day. Shakeology is expensive it's self but when you get rid of all that junk, it pretty much evens out. It's also great when you are busy, as you only need water and a sports cup to mix it.

70+shakeology-ingredients.jpg

So I exercise before work and after I have a repair shake. I find this keeps me full until lunch. Not only does this repair my muscles, it has yummy vitamins. I hate taking horse pill vitamins that I have to choke down. The only major downside to this is the amount of sugar in the drinks. They say this sugar is different than the regular sugar we have at home and it helps repair the muscles. Either way I wish it had less sugar. I use this with shakeology because it's a little cheaper.

Click here for the repair drink.

For lunch I have a shakeology protein shake. I don't really like the taste, so I add frozen berries, no sugar added almond milk and no sugar added cocoa. I blend this baby up (with a magic bullet blender) and I'm usually good until dinner. I really do feel full from this, but if I need a snack, I make sure to have cherry tomatoes and cucumber around, fruits are good too. As a snacker having things I can grab and go is important. I'm not a coffee drinker and I find the shake does give me a little bump in energy.

Click here for the shakeology website.

For most nights I eat lean meats and vegetables. I try to stay away from starches and carbs.

Again having snacks that I can grab and go after dinner is important. AND I drink lots of water.

With that being said, I cheat too. I will socially drink and eat junk food, but for the most part I TRY to eat good. Here's the thing, if you fall of the healthy eating wagon, dust yourself off and get back on. I don't feel guilty, bad, or I don't put pressure on myself; I find that creates a unhealthy relationship with food. Just being conscious is a great start. But...a little cheat here and there is great for the moral, so don't sweat it.

Guest P*rry

The best diet for me is one full of meditation. When I do meditation my body relaxes and I eat less. I also eat slower which lets the food intake balance with my appetite.

I haven't been meditating for a couple of months. Upshot has been stress levels gone wild and my calorie intake has gone sky high.

Thanks Peachy for your last post which resurrected Someguy's thread. I'm going to meditate right now before I get too hungry. Wish me luck!

I'm doing the Atkins plan and it's become more of a lifestyle for me than anything else. I am very sensitive to carb and was dealing with adrenal fatigue and high cortisol issues. The way I was eating made it even worse. I was told I do not have a thyroid problem. Thank God! My doctor did not want to address adrenal fatigue because some think it does not exist. Many people out there are wondering why they are so tired. If you have vertical lines on your finger nails, it is a sign of adrenal stress. Daily stress accumulates and one day you feel so exhausted that you wouldn't wish your own worst enemy of having it. Just getting out of bed was difficult for a while. Hypothyroidism is a side effect stemming from adrenal fatigue as well.. I am fortunate that I don't have to deal with this. With the help of a naturopathic doctor, they actually listened.

One day on this plan stopped all of that. I did go through the first 3 days of sugar withdrawl where I felt like I wanted to kill someone but I survived. lol. I have so much energy now and I'm never hungry. It says to start with 20 carbs a day on induction but I used to eat a lot of carbs so I didn't want to give my body a shock so I started with 40 carbs a day. I'm still losing. I feel very focused and energetic and I don't get that 3 pm crash. This diet has also been used for those with epilepsy.

There is a misconception with Atkins that it is a no carb diet or that it's unsafe. This is simply not true. My carbs come from non starchy low carb vegetables and it is a high fat, moderate protein, low carb plan. You cannot gorge on protein all day long or it will eventually be stored as glucose. At the same rate, the protein you are eating does fill you up so in the end, you end up eating less calories. I use good fats such as butter, coconut oil and olive oil and the weight is coming off and clothes are becoming too big.

On this plan your body stops burning glucose once its all used up and you then begin to go in what's called a state of ketosis where essentially you are burning your own body fat for fuel. If anyone is on this, you may get what's called ketosis breath ( burning ketones out of your mouth) so don't use mouthwash with alcohol as it tends to exacerbate it even more. I use alcohol free mouthwash and sugar free gum so my breath is good. lol. I also use the keto urinalysis strips from the pharmacy to see if I'm burning ketones. Being in ketosis ranges from a light pink to dark purple. It is definitely a good motivator to see if your body has keto adapted which means you're burning fat.

I personally don't weigh myself because I don't want to feel like a slave to the scale or equate my worthiness to a number but will do so on my birthday in the next few months. I have gone down a size in jeans though. My face and stomach were the first things I have noticed that have slimmed down followed by my thighs.

I cannot run anymore because the cortisol levels in my body become too high which leads to storing of abdominal fat so I started with restorative breathing, followed by yoga and now long walks because I'm trying to make my adrenal glands better. High intensity exercise will cause an adrenal crash and I used to be able to run long distances. :( I will soon try pilates.

My goal is to go to 115-120 lbs whenever I get there and maintain it for life. It has to become a way of living for me now. Although I am only 5'3", I cannot go lower than that because I look really gross if I'm too thin. Bones start protruding, etc. It just doesn't look right on me and I look very tiny and sickly looking. I have always been used to have a bit of extra on me including my ample chest. lol.

Wish me luck because it's something I plan to stay on. I've had to say goodbye to sugar forever and really think long and hard about this and my health. It is all or nothing with me.

• Like 4

Guest Na****a***mers (RETIRED)

Your "Diet" should be consisting of healthy unprocessed produce, preferably home cooked. Balanced and nutritious. This will prevent diseases such as diabetes, heart attacks, strokes, etc.

When it comes to "fad diets", they are just that - fads. Not all would benefit your body composition.

Regular exercise (every other day, at least) consisting of cardio and strength training is the only thing that will help you lose weight and become healthy. Change up your cardio every time so your body doesn't get used to it and you do not become bored.

I like to move it, move it!

have lost 13 lbs on Atkins in about 27 days without any slip ups at all. Yup i went ahead and weighed myself when i didnt plan on it until my birthday. While this is a small feat, I need to do more cardio but cannot have an adrenal crash if I really kick it.

I'm also looking into hcg 2.0 diet to take off some more weight safely in 40 days and resume Atkins once I'm done.</p>

With low carb and no sugar, I feel like I could go run a marathon with all the energy I have now and the recipes are amazing! It really feels as though I could do this as a lifestyle now. I dont miss the exhausted feeling after eating sugar or carbs and my high energy levels keep me motivated to stay on track.

• Like 1

Nicolette congratulations. I have been on low carb ever since reading Wheat Belly.

Now if I have a slip up and binge on carbs I feel terrible, much like a hangover. Very good motivation not to slip up for sure. I weigh myself daily and any ill effects from eating junk are readily apparent. Some things like muffins make me bloat and feel lousy.

I measure myself every Sunday morning.

To store gram of carbohydrate your body needs three to five grams of water. Eating a hundred grams of carbs can add four hundred grams of bodyweight.

• Like 1

Thanks Cinelli. It's nice to hear success stories from other low carbers. :) The only difficulty I have now is I've been in my bed since 11:45 and I have wayyyy too much energy. Caffeine and exercise were halted before 2 pm. Ahhhh!!!! I just want to go to sleep. I feel like I could literally jump out of my own skin right about now! Sometimes it's too much with all this energy but I'm finding I can function very well on 6 hours sleep. I have to remedy this somehow because I find I dont go into a deep sleep anymore.

Posted via Mobile Device

Has any one try the mini-fast diet with exercise. I read the book and it makes a lot of sense. Basically you skip breakfast which you don't really need. So you are going on a mini fast of up to 18 hours. The theory is that once you burn up the calories that you have just eaten, you will be in fast mode where you are burning your body fat to get calories.

Then if you can exercise during the fast period, you will be burning fat directly. He also recommends the use of some supplements and to still eat a low calorie meal. I've been on it for a week and have lost 3 lbs so far :) Any one else have tried this diet or a fasting diet?

^ This is called "Intermittent Fasting". Do all your eating during a six to eight hour window. Theory is during your fasting phase your body burns stored fat hence the weight loss. Also if you are truly fasting during work hours you should not be grazing on junk snacks, and that avoids empty calories as well.

Make sure your meals are not too high in carbs or you may get a sugar high/sugar crash cycle going.

Most do it six days a week and eat normally all day Saturday.

• Like 1