I think People feel that since those service jobs are "unskilled" labor that don't require additional education or learning a trade to do,that the people doing them must be too stupid or even lazy to do more than that.Theres no basis for that in reality of course.I spent three years working in a Pizza restaurant,another year working in a convenience store ,and about another decade working various customer service jobs.Especially in the food service and C-Store Job,I worked my Butt Off,was paid little,and put up with nastiness everyday from customers.It can be a terrible grind.And Now that I own my own Business it sure helped me to appreciate people that work those kind of jobs and to treat them with respect.

• Like 2

Guest realnicehat

Being in a trade, I've had all kinds of people talk down to me or make assumptions based on my work attire.

I've gone in to stores after work to make a purchase where no salesperson could be bothered to come talk to me as I browsed in my work boots. I remember one afternoon the salesman on the floor just kept watching me from a distance like I was going to steal something and wouldn't come over even when I waved at him. I walked to the counter, asked the girl working if she was on commission, and when she said yes I purchased my furniture from her. The best part was the jack ass who wouldn't talk to me lost the commission and had to carry it to my truck.

In meetings with customers I've had people say "you're a lot smarter than I expected" and then immediately realize how offensive that is. As far as I'm concerned, if a person is getting out of bed and going to work (no matter how menial the task may seem) then they should be treated as you would wish to be treated.

My first real job was as a nanny for a friend of my mother. I looked after three very young children, one I practically raised from six months old to age three. I spent ten hours a day with these kids 5 days a week-cooking for them and cleaning up after them, and walking the the five year old to the bus stop and making sure she got on and then meeting her when the bus dropped her off to see that she made it home safely. The littlest one, truly stole my heart when she asked me if I was her other mommy.

Someone had the nerve to tell me that was not a real job. When I pointed out how many hours a week I spent with these kids plus cleaning the house they lived in because their parents were complete slobs and left dishes in the sink long enough for mold to grow...it shut them up.

Just a little FYI for those who like to treat food workers poorly...these people are alone with your drinks and food...think about that. I was a waitress for five years-and I saw some pretty gross stuff-one waitress spit in this guys drink because he called her a stupid b**ch because she asked him to repeat his order. I don't condone that at all....but you know it happens everywhere. So....mind your manners or drink some spit, lol.

• Like 1

Guest **cely***r***ne

My new motto lately - Smile, it confuses people...

Sometimes I feel like people are so stuck in their own misery that they lose that little thing we call courtesy...its sad and I feel sorry for these people. But I'll never stop believing the world is all rainbows and butterflies lol

In today's wonderful world of surprise downsizing, outsourcing and overall lousy revenue, nobody should be sneering at someone working in a fast food place.

It could be them working there tomorrow and getting sneered at.

As my mom used to say "There but for the grace of God go I".

• Like 1

I'll admit, I'm one to look down on a certain type of service worker: ""He's such an asshole...he probably works as a lawyer" :D

Yeah, I don't know where people get off being nasty like that. In my situation, I get the occasional prick who will treat me like shit, but since I have the luxury of ownership, I have been known to explode, "Get the fuck out! NOW!" (which is one of the reasons I hire those better suited to dealing with the public, and you can bet your ass I treat my employees well). :D But as Penelope said, your best defense is a smile; it really pisses people off if they're trying to get your goat.

In my experience, most of the best people have been in the lower tiers of society and most of the worst the higher. In fact, I'd be more willing to trust my life to a cashier than a fcuking lawyer. Yes, I'm jaded, and rightly so from experience.

Guest Ot**w***og****n

Every profession has its nice and not so nice people so I do not gauge anyone based upon their job or career choice nor where they work as this does not and should not impact upon their credibility. I afford everyone I come in contact with courteous and respectful treatment regardless of what they do for a living.

These days humanity is like bacteria cultured in a petri dish of cash and it's unsurprising that greed and narcissism rule the roost. The Era of Empathy is long over. The Ipods of the world are tuned to such fine examples as Drake, who brags of sitting on his 25 mill.

And then there are the older generation, those of us who were foolish enough to believe Gordon Gecko's credo that "Greed is Good". Now they live their lives hustling the less learned of their hard-earned money in their 'repsected' professions, ostensibly much higher up the socio-economic ladder than loansharks and swindlers. Secluded away in their gated communities of over-priced oriented strand board, cultured stone McMansions, grumbling of being out-Jonesed by the jerk-next-door and his brand new Audi, they feel compelled to display their higher caste in petty displays of pretentiousness such as cashier abuse.

I've shared my life with trailer park boys and girls, and I've shared my life with monied McMansioners; I have generally fond memories of the former and bitter memories of the latter. What is lost on the McMansioners is that their communities, with their near-identical muchly mortgaged palaces cramped together on tiny postage stamp lots, are themselves simply trailer parks, albeit a little better looking.

There are those those who wake up later in life and realize that this obsession with material wealth and social status is all just a an idiot's game, but once you're tied into that life, it's hard to turn the ship around. You have a spouse and kids who are addicted to the highlife, thousands of dollars in payments a month to sustain that highlife, a professional fraternity which demands you toe their line, a circle of vultures you call friends, etc.

They don't call it a rat race for nothing; if you become a top rat you're still a rat.

By the time many of these people realize the futility of their lifestyle, it's too late. As their cells decay, they look back on what seemed like a full life and realize it was empty and hollow, and perhaps they will finally repent for ruining so many of our days.

Life is a game and money is just one of the many ways to keep score. You either rule money or money rules you. Greed is not good, empathy is.

When you realize just how insignificant your life is, how insignificant humanity is, how insignificant the Earth is, how insignificant our Sun is, etc., life becomes easier. Perhaps even the Universe is insignificant, as their may be an infinite number of them, or an infinite number of things infinitely more immense.

What do we really know? Nothing. Maybe life really is all about grabbing as much of everything as you can at the expense of others, but something makes me think not. In the end, once the atoms of our lives lose their inclination to gravitate together, we own nothing but our souls.

Well, there's my rant. Whether it's an asshole treating a cashier like shit, or TEPCO and Monsanto ruining life on Earth, and all the nasty humans in between, I am not terribly impressed with our species these days. Maybe a good BJ will fix that! :D

Edited by oldblueeyez
  • Like 4

Some people need to build themselves up by putting others down. Or they think somehow they are better than other people. And treating a person with disrespect because of the job he or she has is an easy way for such a person to build him/herself up

What is important is who the person is on the inside. All a job is, is how a person earns a income, their livelihood. It isn't who they are. And who a person is determines if he or she is treated with respect by me, not the job they hold.

A rambling

RG

• Like 3

This was said to me once by a dentist..."you're a smart guy so don't take this the wrong way but don't you find your job dumbs you down?" I looked at him and said "There's really only one way to take that, and contrary to popular belief, most people I work with are bright, educated and use decision making skills constantly on the job, a lot of the time in stressful situations. My job is a job, it doesn't define who I am as a person. That comes from the way I live my life and the way I treat others." He is probably the most self-centred, arrogant person I've ever met. He loves referring to himself as 'Doctor' when making reservations, etc. and having service staff fawn all over him. He constantly talks down to people and treats them like garbage. His attitude toward me doesn't bother me because I have no respect for his opinion or character. People like that will get theirs in the end. Karma's a bitch!!

Edited by royalflush131313
typo
  • Like 3

Guest **cely***r***ne

I am thankful for the garbage man! THANK YOU! What would we do without you? And the cashiers etc...really though.

I used to be a traffic controller. And we all know how much busy people love them :D But to make things better...I would dance with my pole ;)

I am thankful for the garbage man! THANK YOU! What would we do without you? And the cashiers etc...really though.

I used to be a traffic controller. And we all know how much busy people love them :D But to make things better...I would dance with my pole ;)

Ummm correct me if I'm wrong but traffic control isn't that to control them to reduce accident not cause them by a hot woman pole dancing:) lmao

I wish people were noticed, appreciated, awarded privileges, given respect, etc, for their character not their position or job title. But that will never happen as most of us are to impressed by titles, ie: doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc. Realistically if you were on a dating site and had to choose between a doctor, lawyer, engineer, dentist, etc or a clerk, waitperson, cashier, etc, who would you choose? I think judging people by their titles has been ingrained in most people, sadly, and the first impression anyone usually has of a professional title holder is that they are a better caliber of person, its similar to how prettier people get more attention and better treatment in most situations.

Its been my experience that titles mean nothing, as there are assholes in every profession. A persons education or number of degrees means little as well. I've met so many with top degrees that were idiotic, immature, stupid, thoughtless wastes of spaces, but yet their degrees and job titles would leave some to believe they were better than's.

• Like 2

This is something that hit home for me, and when I read this thread this morning I didn't have time to respond my thought. Now that I've had this in my mind almost all day time to let it out.

My first job was working as a clerk in a grocery store were I worked for nearly 6 years. For one it was a lot of work constantly having different shifts almost every day and every week. Putting up with arrogant customers. All for a minimum wage which grew to a about 15$ an hour near the end of my stay there. You may not need education to work in there but you sure needed other skill that aren't taught in school. I eventually move on to management in there where I hired my own staff. Well guess what most of the people I hired were students. Some where university or college students and other were high school. Oddly the ones that were able to tough it out and had what it takes weren't always the most educated ones. Sure it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out empty shelves need to be stocked, but it took people who took initiative, without being told all the time. Education doesn't teach those skill.

I work in construction often in government buildings. Now most of these people that work in these office have some sort of degree. Which often I find them looking down at people like me who chose my type of work, as if we are lower class. Well I did attend college, I chose not to finish, not because I couldn't and it certainly wasn't cause I didn't have the marks but because I didn't want to work in that field of work. I can't stand sitting down in an office all day long. So education to me don't mean crap to me in the sense of someone being better than anyone else.

Now when it come to salary It's the same I don't think someone making less or more are better. Judging someone by their job is just as dumb as judging people by their salary. I've seen office managers who probably make 100k and spend their whole time chatting with co-workers going on break every hour for a smoke. Take extended lunch breaks only to when they return to sit at their desk and eat a lunch, like wtf have they being doing for the last hour and a half.

I think society has made it look like certain jobs are better than others. All through education and salary. When I think bottom line we are all needed to fill certain jobs and no one should be looked down at because they have a job that requires less education or lower salary. If you ask me salaries in today's society are a joke. To many people making way too much and too many not making enough not enough so called middle class. Sure we all like money but wouldn't it be fairer if you got paid by how hard you worked. Bringing more people on a levelled playing field.

• Like 2

I firmly believe everyone gets treated as a person an with civility, but it boggles my mind that people still mouth off at food servers. What don't you realize about the fact that your oral consumption is in their hands. Ive been to restaurants where I've had literally zero service, and I still say my pleases and thank yous. As Secret said, who knows what they're doing to your food or drink back there.

• Like 1

sure it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out empty shelves need to be stocked, but it took people who took initiative, without being told all the time. Education doesn't teach those skill.

amen!