Just curious about the HPV Vaccine. Is it common among SP's? :?

I am really curious about the HVP Vaccine and its real effects. A few weeks ago, I came across an article from a respected source, that in my opinion over exaggerates the effects of HVP on someone's health, and the fact that they also describe the vaccine as an elixir that can prevent all that harm. Is this really true? Or is it just a pharmaceutical strategy? Specially, because the vaccine is not cheap at all, and most health plans do not cover it. What do you think? Is the vaccine really worth it? By the way, I am a man, so "No", I have not gotten the vaccine. Thanks for your responses!

I too have gotten the HPV vaccine shot, and feel it is worth every penny. The new Guardasil 9 is out, but you have to call ahead and have your pharmacy order it. Each shot from Shoppers Drug Mart is 193$. You need a series of three shots within six months in order to be protected for life. After you get your first shot you get your second shot exactly two months later. After your second shot you will be protected for a year. Finally, you get your final shot six months from your first shot, which will protect you for life.

While pricy, getting the shots sequentially makes it affordable, and the protection it offers, especially for an SP, balaNce out the cost and effort. The total comes to 579$ with tax.

Make sure you book an appointment with a walk in clinic or your GP after you pick up your shot-it cannot stay outside of a fridge long. My pharmacist was nice and gave me mini icepacks free of charge. I then rushed to the nearest Apple Tree clinic and had them place it in the fridge while I waited. Since I was there solely for a shot they tended to me fairy quickly.

I will say that as far as shots go, this one is a bit more on the painful side, but is definitely bearable.

If you have any more questions but sure to post it on here; it's nice to see that a few ladies in the industry already have the shot, and I hope it encourages more SP's to go for it.

Additional Comments:

Sorry for flooding the thread but I'd just like to say a few more things. The 193$ a shot is for the newest form of Guardasil and it protects against a few more strains. The cost is for those with absolutely no coverage, I'm sure many health care plans cover it, I was just impatient and wanted it ASAP. For my second shot I will see what student plans cover it, for any student interested. I also know many places, especially on Campus, thay offer the shot for free if you are 20 and younger. To the youngest Sp's, lucky you! I'm super jealous I'm a bit too old. Get it ASAP.

I'd also like to thank the two ladies for mentioning the Hepatitis A and B vaccine. I also feel that would be worth the extra few hundred and will be obtaing mine ASAP.

• Like 1

Guest s******ecan****

I think this is a fabulous development, while pricey for those without coverage working ladies should consider a cost of doing business (small price compared to the cost of not being protected).

I think its great that the younger generations are now getting access to this through school programs and with luck HPV will become rare in the future.

What about the serious side effects that comes with these new medications? Is it really worth it? Some young ladies have died or have become ill from this vaccine.

It is very rare, but it does happen: someone is severely allergic or has a bad reaction to some ingredient in the vaccine. But that's hardly the mean average. These cases are extreme and very uncommon compared to the hundreds of thousands of others with no ill-effects.

You have to decide for yourself. If you think a small chance of having such an extreme reaction is too much for you, then don't take the vaccine.

HPV--Cervarix vaccine side-effects

(Human Papillomavirus Cervarix vaccine)

What are the risks from HPV--Cervarix vaccine?

The HPV Cervarix® vaccine has been in use around the world for several years and has been very safe.

However, any medicine could possibly cause a serious problem, such as a severe allergic reaction. The risk of any vaccine causing a serious injury, or death, is extremely small.

Life-threatening allergic reactions from vaccines are very rare. If they do occur, it would be within a few minutes to a few hours after the vaccination.

Several mild to moderate problems are known to occur with this HPV vaccine. These do not last long and go away on their own.

• Reactions where the shot was given
    • Pain (about 9 people in 10)
    • Redness or swelling (about 1 person in 2)

[*] Other mild reactions

• Fever of 99.5 or higher degrees Fahrenheit (about 1 person in 8.)
    • Headache or fatigue (about 1 person in 2)
    • Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or abdominal pain (about 1 person in 4)
    • Muscle or joint pain (up to 1 person in 2)

[*]Fainting

Brief fainting spells and related symptoms (such as jerking movements) can happen after any medical procedure, including vaccination. Sitting or lying down for about 15 minutes after a vaccination can help prevent fainting and injuries caused by falls. Tell your doctor if the patient feels dizzy or light-headed, or has vision changes or ringing in the ears.

Like all vaccines, HPV vaccines will continue to be monitored for unusual or severe problems.

This information was taken directly from the HPV-Cervarix VIS

(This information taken from HPV VIS dated 5/3/11. If the actual VIS is more recent than this date, the information on this page needs to be updated.)

Top of Page

HPV--Gardasil-9 vaccine side-effects

(Human Papillomavirus Gardasil-9 vaccine)

What are the risks from HPV--Gardasil-9 vaccine?

With any medicine, including vaccines, there is a chance of side effects. These are usually mild and go away on their own, but serious reactions are also possible.

Most people who get HPV vaccine do not have any problems with it.

Like all vaccines, HPV vaccines will continue to be monitored for unusual or severe problems.

Mild or moderate problems following Gardasil-9

• Reactions in the arm where the shot was given:
    • Pain (about 9 people in 10)
    • Redness or swelling (about 1 person in 3)

[*]Fever:

• Mild (100°F) (about 1 person in 10)
    • Moderate (102°F) (about 1 person in 65)

[*]Other problems:

• Headache (about 1 person in 3)

Problems that could happen after any vaccine:

• People sometimes faint after a medical procedure, including vaccination. Sitting or lying down for about 15 minutes can help prevent fainting, and injuries caused by a fall. Tell your doctor if you feel dizzy, or have vision changes or ringing in the ears.
  • Some people get severe pain in the shoulder and have difficulty moving the arm where a shot was given. This happens very rarely.
  • Any medication can cause a severe allergic reaction. Such reactions from a vaccine are very rare, estimated at fewer than 1 in a million doses, and would happen within a few minutes to a few hours after the vaccination.

This information was taken directly from the HPV-Gardasil-9 VIS

(This information taken from HPV VIS dated 4/15/15. If the actual VIS is more recent than this date, the information on this page needs to be updated.)

Top of Page

HPV--Gardasil vaccine side-effects

(Human Papillomavirus Gardasil vaccine)

What are the risks from HPV--Gardasil vaccine?

The HPV-Gardasil® vaccine has been used in the U.S. and around the world for about six years and has been very safe.

However, any medicine could possibly cause a serious problem, such as a severe allergic reaction. The risk of any vaccine causing a serious injury, or death, is extremely small.

Life-threatening allergic reactions from vaccines are very rare. If they do occur, it would be within a few minutes to a few hours after the vaccination.

Several mild to moderate problems are known to occur with this HPV vaccine. These do not last long and go away on their own.

• Reactions in the arm where the shot was given:
    • Pain (about 8 people in 10)
    • Redness or swelling (about 1 person in 4)

[*] Fever:

• Mild (100° F) (about 1 person in 10)
    • Moderate (102° F) (about 1 person in 65)

[*] Other problems

• Headache (about 1 person in 3)
    • Fainting. Brief fainting spells and related symptoms (such as jerking movements) can happen after any medical procedure, including vaccination. Sitting or lying down for about 15 minutes after a vaccination can help prevent fainting and injuries caused by falls. Tell your doctor if the
      patient feels dizzy or light-headed, or has vision changes or ringing in the ears.

This information was taken directly from the HPV-Gardasil VIS

Full page here: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/side-effects.htm

• Like 3

Honestly, I never gave the risks much thought. Mu MD didn't feel concerned so i'm assuming it must be rare.

HPV warts seem unpleasant, though liveable. My concern was the types of cancer, which increases your likelihood of death.

I feel, all in all, I am happy I took the risk.

What about the serious side effects that comes with these new medications? Is it really worth it? Some young ladies have died or have become ill from this vaccine.

It's certainly always worth considering side effects of any medication, questioning whether safety standards have been met, and to ensure such things are monitored. However, often reports of illness/death from vaccines turn out to be...more complicated or flawed than those warning against a vaccine would have you believe (not saying all cases...but many).

And generally even when serious side effects are a risk, you only have to measure them against the number of deaths and illnesses the vaccine prevents. If I said you had less than a 1% chance of a negative side effect by taking a medication, and a 10% chance of an equally negative side effect by not taking it, what would you choose? (I don't know what the percentages are for this particular vaccine, but you see what I mean).

I always liked Penn & Teller's explanation of why vaccinations tend to be worth it, in their minute long video discussing vaccines in general vs. the myth they can cause autism:

• Like 1

Although this article is from 2012, I found it quite interesting regarding the reasons why women over 26 are not encouraged to get the vaccine. Also, the last part of this article talks about a man who wanted to get the vaccine.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/06/left-out-why-is-it-so-hard-for-older-women-to-get-the-hpv-vaccine/258611/

Guest s******ecan****
It's certainly always worth considering side effects of any medication, questioning whether safety standards have been met, and to ensure such things are monitored. However, often reports of illness/death from vaccines turn out to be...more complicated or flawed than those warning against a vaccine would have you believe (not saying all cases...but many).

And generally even when serious side effects are a risk, you only have to measure them against the number of deaths and illnesses the vaccine prevents. If I said you had less than a 1% chance of a negative side effect by taking a medication, and a 10% chance of an equally negative side effect by not taking it, what would you choose? (I don't know what the percentages are for this particular vaccine, but you see what I mean).

I always liked Penn & Teller's explanation of why vaccinations tend to be worth it, in their minute long video discussing vaccines in general vs. the myth they can cause autism:

that was awesome, thanks for sharing!

I personally never got it when it was first offered to me. I'm the kind of person who doesn't like medication. Currently, I am getting a shot that if it wasn't covered under my health plan I would be needing to pay roughly $500 for one shot a month. Add 6 months to that, it's expensive.

I don't believe in medication that I don't need for something or the other. Not to say I don't want the HPV Vaccine because of the costs, it's more I am sensitive to medication in general. I've had bad reactions to certain medication. For an example: a pain killer; my body rejects and doesn't store it properly thus it basically does nothing for me, a very high pain killer, it's like taking a sugar pill. I tend to stay away from prescription drugs. They either are sugar pills or they cause some sort of reaction for me (non-allergic).

Once you get the shot, no turning back it's in.

I got the Gardasil also.

As several ladies have already mentioned above, Gardasil protects against most (most common) strains of HPV. I found that my health care provider was very up front about what the vaccine does and does NOT do. In no way would I say that my family doctor or the clinic oversold

or pushed Gardasil, nor did they provide information that seemed skewed/biased or false.

I do have friends in the industry who have contracted HPV and although it is possible to live quite normally with it, it can also be a very serious obstacle to operating effectively in the business and feeling good doing it.

I think that taking STIs seriously and doing what we can to minimize the harm associated with them can only help the industry grow in a healthier way (not to speak of reducing the stigma still attached to it)

K

• Like 1

My main consideration when I first learned about the vaccine was the side effects. One of the articles I read mentioned that women are 50% more likely to get cervical cancer if they already have HPV and then get the shot. Because so many people are asymptotic it is a little like rolling the dice after becoming sexually active.

I saw my doctor today and she told me about Gardasil 9 vaccine. it protects against 7 of the cancer causing strains and 2 of the strains that cause warts. She said i can get it even though I'm older. (on ob-gyn and pediatrics http://sogc.org/news_items/gardasil-9-hpv-vaccine-now-available-in-canada-2/ website it says it can be given to females 9-45)

I'm getting it! But it cost almost 190$ per shot for 3 shots. *gasp*

But I don't care. I've had all the vaccines and never had any problems. Besides, it's not just for me but to protect others too. I think of it like this: if someone has it and gives it to me, then I pass it on to someone who then takes up with a younger girl whose parents bought into that thinking about vaccines being 'bad', then I am partly responsible for protecting that girl !!

These vaccines are not a swindle. They are way to protect everybody in our society (and outside of it). And i really don't believe that most people will have a problem with them. It's just a vocal few who get the 'voice to be heard' and then it's chicken little for all the 'believers'.

• Like 2

I was thrilled to see this thread!

I love to travel, and so was vaccinated against Hep A & B long ago. I expect these two to be such a non-issue now, I'm always surprised when I hear of a case (usually a contaminated water source in Mexico) or hear of people still not vaccinated.

When the HPV vaccine was first introduced, I was in the "too old" category (and DEFINITELY BEYOND the "free for Grade 5 girls" hahaha) and my female family doctor dismissed the idea immediately. When I entered sex work, I began visiting clinics like Planned Parenthood for regular STI screenings, and asked a doctor there, wondering if they might have more current info as it pertained to sexually active women in their late twenties. He prescribed it without hesitation, and I decided upon all three doses of vaccination. I have no private health insurance, I also paid almost 600$ out of pocket.

Here were my thoughts, which I preface with the note that my formal education is in Biochemistry:

- Vaccines work prophylactically: a small, inert amount of the virus is introduced, so that your immune system can mount a defense. Then, if and when it encounters this virus again, it will be prepared to contain any infection. Had I likely been exposed to these strains in the past? Yes, absolutely: most sexually active adults have been exposed to/carry but do not exhibit symptoms of most of the circulating strains of HPV - this is where the controversy of vaccinating older women, and men, came into play. But, what if I hadn't? What if that one strain means the difference between cervical cancer and a healthy cervical future? What if I'm to meet a client infected with that very strain next month? What if? What if?

- Continued evidence on the efficacy of the vaccine, including more strains, increasing the indicated groups, etc: these are all great signs in the medical community. With the recommendation up to age 45, it substantially changed the landscape of the demographic I thought I was in.

- In both my personal and professional lives, I enjoy uncovered oral. Given my education and training, combined with my screening procedures and sober judgement, I decided that this is within my own comfort level. While I appreciate that this is a heavily debated topic, I maintain that each provider should be free to set her own restrictions, based on her own comfort and her own understanding of risk management. This is absolutely not the thread to rant about whether oral encounters should be covered or not, but rather I felt that, based on my own preferences, the HPV vaccine was another step I could take to minimize risk in this regard.

- The more people in our community who are vaccinated, the better. As above with Hepatitis A & B, this can lead to general eradication of a virus. I wanted to be a part of that solution.

In the end, I decided that my peace of mind was worth the equivalent of 2-3 hours at my standard companionship rate. As a professional, responsible provider, any steps that I can take to minimize risk - to me, and to my clients - I should take.

Note - there may be an opportunity for some cost-savings - speak to your doctor about the value of the third shot. In many three-dose regimens, like Twinrix, the third injection only increases the efficacy from 99% to 100%. Yup, that's right - in some cases you just paid 150$+ for a big-ole 1%. The life-long efficacy of the HPV vaccines have not yet been established: they're just too new. But, if the third installment of the vaccine is really going to break you, speak to your doctor, and make the most informed decision you can :)

Vaccines are not a replacement for regular health care: please continue your regular regimen of Pap smears and family doctor visits, and pay attention to any abnormalities. It's your body - get to know it ;)

Thanks to the ladies who've contributed to this thread. I should well have expected the lovely ladies of CERB to also be health-conscious and well-informed. ;)

Sorry for the ramble, my name rings true once again :)

Safety first,

Gabby

xoxox

PS - hadn't considered the medical expense as a tax deduction. Great idea - thanks!

• Like 3

- In both my personal and professional lives, I enjoy uncovered oral. Given my education and training, combined with my screening procedures and sober judgement, I decided that this is within my own comfort level.

I was having a chat with my doctor about that and that was how she suggested the vaccine. I sometimes think that having chats instead of just answering questions open you up to more solutions and preventative measures. The doctor and you can 'brainstorm' more ways to be safe

Note - there may be an opportunity for some cost-savings - speak to your doctor about the value of the third shot. In many three-dose regimens, like Twinrix, the third injection only increases the efficacy from 99% to 100%. Yup, that's right - in some cases you just paid 150$+ for a big-ole 1%. The life-long efficacy of the HPV vaccines have not yet been established: they're just too new. But, if the third installment of the vaccine is really going to break you, speak to your doctor, and make the most informed decision you can :)

Yes my doctor told me about this third shot. She said they (the manufacturers of vaccine) don't entirely believe that 2 shots is enough, and will eventually need a boost in the future and possibly leave you un-protected for a time. Whereas having the third shot on timeline will alleviate the need for a booster

I would rather get the third shot on time, for safety's sake

So you have to pay for it?

In Quebec, you can ask your family doctor to get it for free (paid by provincial Medicare), and they give it in 5th grade, in school to all girls.

I can't believe it's not free.

I had absolutly no effects after having the shot, and I feel well protected.

HPV is highly related to cervic cancer. Worth giving it a second thought...

I had it in one shot, my daughter in two.