I am seeking some information from any guys on this site who are either married or attached. I am a married guy who is also a "hobbyist" and being a "hobbyist" requires proper amounts of cash, as we all know. My situation as a married guy is starting to conflict financially with my hobby and therefore I am wondering how other married/attached men are able to finance there hobby without there partner finding large amounts of money missing from the bank account? Without a "financial plan" I fear that I may have to reduce or God forbid stop participating in my favourite of all "hobbies!" Also, I suppose I should not limit my question to just the guys, possibly some of the ladies have a suggestion for me as well?? Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

wow..this is a tricky question to answer.......

first I do not share the same bank account as my SO....we have one joint account and each a seperate one....

All the house hold exspenses come out of the one account.

there is even a "nest egg" and vacation fund in that same account.......

we have determined that we need $x dollars in the account each month to make our bills and add to the nest egg and vacation fund.

We both make different salaries and instead of splitting the cost 50/50....we split is based on salary...so I make 30% more salary than she does.....so I carry 30% more of the financial responsability into the shared account. So my contribution is 30% more each month.

That way we each have our bank funds for special gifts and personal expenses without affecting the balance of the home finances.

Works well for us as I can save up a little extra for jewlry or getaways without her knowing it is comming.....or buy toys for me without getting in trouble.....and same goes for her....nails...hair....clothing......

If we don't have the money for it we do not get it...but the bills are always paid.

Put aside "payments". something that can be explained away such as $50 for gas, or food. within a couple paychecks, you will have enough to endulge. It is the best way to be disceet without giving up the hobby. The only downside is having to cut down the amount of visits to sp's. Or having a bad session.

Guest b****9

I have the pleasure of traveling for business alot and all the expense money comes to me and my SO does not have a clue how much I rake in from it. I also keep aside 50-100 a month of our spending money for those local romps that arise.

I maintain a stash of cash by stowing any loonies and toonies that I get in a box. When I get enough for a sp, I take my stash to the bank and exchange for paper money. Kind of like money laundering). The important thing is not to have any large withdrawls coming out of your account that would be difficult to explain.

I now withhold $5 bills also. It adds up quick so heads up girls I will be a little more active in 2010.

If you read my thread carefully you will see that by setting up serperate bank accounts and one joint one.....it works well...that way I can do what I want and she does nopt know or see it......my own play money......

if she ever asks where my play money goes.......well..lunches......dinners......entertainment....and such...she is none the wiser.....

This isn't an issue for me as I severed my account years ago. (She's a chronic spender and I had to make sure the bill payments went through ;-)) This post came to mind however when I was buying groceries last night. The cashier asked if I wanted any cash back with my debit purchase. It occured to me that if I wanted to take cash from my account that didn't show up on the statement, I could pad every purchase I made with some cash back. Most places will do this, and it is even a prompt that comes up on most self searve checkouts. Just a thought. Hope it helps.

M

I have to agree with Antlerman! We have had separate bank accounts almost since day one also we have almost always both worked and the odd time one has been out of work the other takes over .. We split the expences like I pay phone and groc, she pays Elec and more Groc slpit the mort. etc etc

I have also been fornuate to have a "extra Revenue streem" partime income for most of my life ...

Yea I am a workaholic

Loki318

I just tell the girls I am broke, no money & it will have to be a freebie, they all go along with it!!!!

Guest s******ecan****

Seperate accounts are the only way to do it, otherwise you're bound to get caught out eventually having to explain a large cash withdrawl. 'course you could always explain it away as a your (new) gambling addiction.....honey it went straight from the ATM to the VLT.

Although the cashback idea mentioned earlier was a good one, very hard to track even in a joint account.