Question About Beards/Moustaches

Well my face hasn't seen a razor now for two and a half weeks. And what is on my face well it is thicker than just a day or two of growth but not beard thick if that is making sense

How long does it take for a beard/moustache to fully come in?

Will it get softer

Won't ask about the itching, that has stopped :-)

At what point do you know whether to keep trying or get a razor and take it off

A rambling from an unshaven RG

• Like 1

I know some guys with beards who tell me they use hair conditioner to keep their beards soft.

• Like 1

Guest S*rca****sid

I've tried growing a beard before, after a week, it wasn't very think and I didn't like the look. So I shaved it off, but my moustache was think enough by that time.

The other thing I didn't like was, the grey hairs seem to show up in the beard before the rest of the hair.

I've tried growing beards but the get to a certain length and stop. The itching drove me crazy and it came in patches, there are spots where nothing grows. No problem growing a moustache though.

I think it's just a thing that varies from one person to another.

• Like 1

I know some guys with beards who tell me they use hair conditioner to keep their beards soft.

Yes, conditioner does help make it softer.

In response to RG's initial post about the length of time it takes to come in, it varies from person to person and whether there are patches like some of the others have mentioned. Two and a half weeks should be more than enough time in my opinion. Additional hair length will help cover patchy areas. It depends on the look you are looking for or if you want a big pile of hair to help keep your face warmer in the cold. Makes for an interesting look when you come in from outside with icicles hanging off your beard (lol).

• Like 1

I've had a beard for about 30 years ... yes, hair conditioner helps keep it soft, but really whether you need that or not depends on your own particular beard. Give it a month, and see whether you like it or not after that. It can take a bit of time for patchy spots to fill in. As others have said, how long it takes varies considerably from individual to individual.

I would also advise keeping it neatly trimmed if you do decide to keep it. I'm a big fan of beards, but unruly beards and mustaches are, in my opinion, distasteful in the extreme. There's a difference between a beard that can be described as "full" and one that is just "gross". If it catches food, it's gross.

Porthos

• Like 2

I've had one for thirty years. I would give it a month to give you a good indication as how it'll turn out. You'll still have to start trimming around the mouth and neck now to find out the shape you want. As for softness, it tends to get there as it gets a little longer.

• Like 1

As other have said, it depends for everyone. If fully shaven, it takes me a good month to get it back. Then, i can trim it once every 2-3 weeks and it stays good.

It's so cold outside, for now i'm waiting though. =P Anyway i'm on call and working, so i won't be seeing anyone.

• Like 1

Guest c**io**m7

Mine is getting so goddamn grey/white that it is almost impossible to keep it soft.

Mine is getting so goddamn grey/white that it is almost impossible to keep it soft.

Mine seems to be greyer every day.