CERB links asking to login again?

I don't know if this is something I can configure in my Firefox settings, but for the last few weeks I have noticed some links do not retain the fact that I am logged in already.

Figured out it was anything that did not start with www. The majority of all the links on here are http://www.cerb.ca/*, but on the main page in the section where the top 15 Stats links are, they are all missing the www prefix. So whenever I click on those, I am asked to login and get that screen saying that I've reached my limit in the number of posts I can view without registering.

Never had a problem with this before - anyone else getting this? I can usually figure this stuff out, but maybe it's the links that aren't being outputted correctly?

Same here.. I can use either or but the log in is cookie authenticated and that could explain the asking to log in again thing.. Did you alter your cookie settings (security settings)?

Chances are you have inadvertently changed your browsers cookie settings. Either changing the slider on IE for security (Increasing this blocks cookies) or you have turned cookies off. The site NEEDS cookies to be active in order to keep you logged in.

Well I've had the same problem for a while too. And I'm using Firefox 3.5.7 on a Mac. I don't believe I'm messing with the cookies.

I haven't quite figured out the pattern yet because it doesn't happen consistently. It's worst when I first log in, and improves the longer I'm online surfing the site. This would seem to support the cookie theory. The quick links to recent postings are a common culprit (but not always), and so are sending PMs from a user link.

Well I've had the same problem for a while too. And I'm using Firefox 3.5.7 on a Mac. I don't believe I'm messing with the cookies.

I'm now on Firefox 3.6 for Mac 10.5.8. No issues here.

Firefox has a 3.6 version (You may want to upgrade)

Also... go to tools/options and in the security tab under passwords for sites make sure you check the "saved passwords" and remove the cerb.ca ones if you have them stored (it's ok to store them but if they are wrong you will have issues).

Next go here

http://www.tempesttech.com/cookies/cookietest1.asp

This will tell you if your browser is accepting cookies or not properly. If not you have a problem

I haven't quite figured out the pattern yet because it doesn't happen consistently. It's worst when I first log in, and improves the longer I'm online surfing the site. This would seem to support the cookie theory. The quick links to recent postings are a common culprit (but not always), and so are sending PMs from a user link.

Might be the same issue I was having. My bookmarks were all www.cerb.ca/* and after using those to get to cerb, I noticed that most of the hyperlinks were pointing to cerb.ca/* and only a few were www.cerb.ca/*.

When I removed the www prefix from the bookmarks, problem was solved and all links point to cerb.ca. No more log in redirects after that.

Good point buggernot has! The www. is considered a sub-domain prefix and would be a different cookie. I never thought of that.

Mod

Something has changed on Cerb.

I quite often look at Cerb threads without logging in. Then it reaches a point that I have to login to be able to view the threads. At this point when I login ( on a certain thread I want to read ) it will show me as logged in on the thread.

I browse using multiple tabs, so when I want to see the main cerb page if there are any new threads/posts I just go to that tab and reload. Before I could just reload the main page tab and it would show me as logged in (top and bottom of page) Now if I reload the tab it will not show me as logged in at the top of the page but it does at the bottom (currently active users)

I noticed that the URL is http://cerb.ca/vbulletin/index.php?styleid=2 so I inserted the www. prefix http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/index.php?styleid=2 into the URL and it showed me as logged in on the top and bottom of the page.

I wanted to post a reply to this thread (http://cerb.ca/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=107436) and it wanted me to login in again, so I just inserted the www. prefix and did not have to login and was able to reply to the thread.

I also get booted off Cerb quite a bit and have to login in again.

I am still getting the chat authorization error as well. I am currently using Firefox 3.5.7

Thanks whatsup, the same issue was/is happening to myself, using the same Firefox set up as yourself.

UPGRADE FIREFOX - VERSION 3.6 IS AVAILABLE

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/personal.html

So everyone knows....

1) I fixed the domain so all the pages reference www.cerb.ca (Instead of cerb.ca without the www) as this was causing problems with many of you. The browsers see www.cerb.ca and cerb.ca (without the www) as different websites now (This was never a problem before but probably a new thing they have worked into firefox to better manage cookies on subdomains and they may have had a bug... update to 3.6 as I don't have this issue myself and that is what I use right now)

I did make all the page references to www.cerb.ca please change your bookmaks to include the www

2) When you read the site you MUST login, it will...

1. limit the number of pages you can view as a guest to 5 pages (This forces people to make memberships instead of just being trolls)...
  2. The system will record the pages you viewed when you are logged in (This is very benificial as you can use the "NEW POSTS" button up top to read all the new posts (If you are not logged in your account would show these as unread - so log in.

Again... Please adjust your bookmarks and references to include www.cerb.ca (the www in front of the domain).

As for the chat room... your probably have a firewall setting that is causing this issue. The chat room uses a different server (2 in fact) and it uses some obscure ports (as it is a streaming media server - FMS flash media) if you have a really tight firewall or some program that locks down your ports on your computer you may have problems. This is unique to your computer and I would need to be sitting down in from of your PC to assist you wish this... I suggest if it is important to you that you shut down all your firewall like stuff one by one and keep trying. With some trouble shooting you will find out what is blocking you from the room.

To log in to the chat room Just re-enter your cerb username and password into the chat login page and it will let you in.

If you get booted from the chat room due to lose of connection you may need to wait about 5 minutes to log in again as it will think you are still logged in (it does not refresh in real time - anyone who closes the window and tries to log right back in knows what I mean) ... you need to wait as it won't let you right back in unless you logged out of the chat room with the logout button.

As for being logged off cerb... no idea. It's not on our end or it would happen to everyone (Most likely this is a issue with your PC).

Your security settings could be bad, you could have some malware/virus/trojan/spyware/etc... I stay logged in all day long without a problem.

I am using firefox 3.6 with no issues like this. Occasionally I have to log back into the chat room (as I do get logged off when the servers hiccup and loose the stream - this happens and can not be avoided).

I noticed that the URL is http://cerb.ca/vbulletin/index.php?styleid=2 so I inserted the www. prefix http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/index.php?styleid=2 into the URL and it showed me as logged in on the top and bottom of the page.

JUST TO CLARIFY: This is the cookie problem! The 3.5 version of firefox see's http://www.cerb.ca and http://cerb.ca as different sites so when you log in on cerb.ca (without the www) it creates a browser cookie for cerb.ca and when you log in as http://www.cerb.ca it creates another cookie for http://www.cerb.ca (Authenticating 2 different cookies - this is causing the problems) I will be going through the site making sure everything points to http://www.cerb.ca to avoid this in the future as some references may still point to cerb.ca (without the www).

I just found a setting in the system that I have never seen before. Here is the description of the setting.

This option sets the domain on which the cookie is active. The most common reason to change this setting is that you have two different urls to your forum, i.e. example.com and forums.example.com. To allow users to stay logged into the forum if they visit via either url, you would set this to .example.com (note the domain begins with a dot. )

I just changed this setting to .cerb.ca (This should resolve the issue as it was set to the default setting and from the description it sounds like the problem everyone is having with 3.5 version of firefox).

I either overlooked this in the past (as the system has 100's of settings) or it is possible this is a newer setting that was added in a recent update of the software. Either way, I overlooked it and if it does what it says it does... it should help fix this issue ever with the 3.5 versions of firefox.

For those still having log in issues using firefox (or booting out or being asked to enter passwords again and again here is the fix).

In firefox go to Tools (Top Menu) choose "OPTIONS" click the "PRIVACY" icon and you will see a link that says remove individual cookies

Scroll down and under "Site" you should see a folder called cerb.ca just click on the folder and click "REMOVE COOKIES" button.

You will need to log back into cerb but all your problems on the forum should go away. Maybe not the chat room (Can't recreate that) but this should fix the current issue in the forum some of you are having. I was finally able to recreate the issue myself with some help from a member here.

I've had problems today. Using google chrome incognito windows does not keep me logged in for some reason. I can't see any threads.

Just the regular chrome windows work fine.

Any suggestions Mod?

Thanks.

I tried to reproduce the problem and could not. The incognito window worked fine with my test user account. Try deleting cookies in Chrome... to do this go to the tools menu (The wrench) and choose "Options" and than click the "Personal Stuff" tab and you will see a button for "Clear browsing data" (Click this). In here you can choose to clear everything (I would suggest doing that) but you can just delete cookies.

The default is to clear everything from the "Last day" I would switch this to "Everything" but remember any passwords you have chrome remember and any auto login cookies stores will be erased (Really you should not have these stored in browsers anyway).

Thanks Mod,

I cleared all the browsing data as you suggested, no effect. Its weird, if I login with an incognito window it accepts and gives me the "Thanks for logging in" ,then after 5 seconds I get punted directly to the:

"Hey there!

It appears that you've exceeded the maximum number of posts ... sign up for a free account etc" page.

This is definitely a new behavior since yesterday and nothing has changed on my end in terms of SW/HW.

Am I the only one?

GHT, perhaps try to see if you get the same issue on any other sites you have to log in to with Chrome or, try it out using Firefox. I tried Chrome incognito with http://www.cerb.ca and cerb.ca and didn't have a problem.

There might even be something funky going on with an extension you have installed, you never know since everyone will have different configs there.

Did you use the tools section from the incognito window? I suspect the cookies may be stored differently in this window as it is not suppose to leave evidence of what you were doing on your computer... ideally the window is suppose to remove all traces from your computer of what you were doing in the window

TIP: Guy's don't get any ideas at work... Incognito in Chrome (or private browsing like in firefox) does not hide your browsing habbits from the IT guys at work. All the websites you look at show up in the router logs and it would show them exactly where you have been going during work hours! What this does is stop you from having to delete your "History" and other temp browsing files when you are done surfing so your kid (or wife in some of your cases) doesn't look in the history folder and say "What is this cerb.ca website you are always on".

Thanks Mod,

I cleared all the browsing data as you suggested, no effect. Its weird, if I login with an incognito window it accepts and gives me the "Thanks for logging in" ,then after 5 seconds I get punted directly to the:

"Hey there!

It appears that you've exceeded the maximum number of posts ... sign up for a free account etc" page.

This is definitely a new behavior since yesterday and nothing has changed on my end in terms of SW/HW.

Am I the only one?

Have you tried private browsing in firefox? You may have a buggy version of chrome.. If you have firefox click CTRL+SHIFT+P (or click the private browsing option under "Tools". It seams to work well.