Phones in Canada

Hello,

I plan on traveling to Winnipeg soon and I want to get a Canadian cell phone, I have Verizon in the states but I don't want people to worry about calling an international number. What is the best company to get a pre-paid cell phone with the best rates.

Thanks!

Andrea Davis

Welcome to Canada and to cerb.

I use Telus and find their coverage is great. I personally avoid Rogers as I find that their coverage in places off road not to be the greatest, so stick with providers that use the Aliant towers for best coverage.

Others use Koodo, or Virgin and they seem to work well too.

Good Luck!

Me, I used to use Virgin, but found their customer service which used to be great didn't just get bad, it sucked

I switched to Rogers, thus far no complaint

RG

If you are planning to be in Manitoba Andrea as you indicated....then I would highly suggest Rogers. They have the best technology here, I prefer them to deal with and they have full use of all of Manitoba Telephone System towers so service is very good. Also works very well in Ontario and Alberta I do know from experience. Not sure about Saskatchewan tho off the #1 highway.

Depends on your travel plans I suppose ;)

• Like 1

Depends where your planning to travel, western Canada Telus is best. Eastern Canada Bell or Rogers and be prepares cell phone plans are really expensive compared to the US even pay as you go is twice as expensive up here!

Edited by milfhunter1967
Add info
  • Like 1

Just stop in 7-Eleven... $40 will get you a cheap phone with $10 of air time. Quick, easy and cheap. You can get more air time if need. Phones aren't fancy but are great as a hobby phone. Also best part is they ask no questions.

I am hoping to find a phone that no matter where in Canada I am in that it works great. I get to Toronto and Montreal quite a bit due to SP friends of mine living their, so I just want a phone that will work no matter where I am. That's why in the states I choose Verizon as my cell phone company. Thanks again for all the help, I really due appreciate it.

Andi

If you have an unlocked GSM phone then get a SIM pay as you go with either 7-11 or PetroCanada. They both piggy-back on the Rogers network and provide affordable text/call/data. Although I prefer 7-11 PetroCanada is Canada wide. 7-11 has withdrawn itself from some Canadian cities e.g. Ottawa.

Angela mentioned pay as you go and she may be right. That could best serve your needs

I know Virgin and Rogers have pay as you go

Likely other cell phone providers have them too.

You could also go to Wireless Wave, buy a cellphone and pay as you go plan through them

Here is a link to their site, they have stores in most major shopping malls

http://www.wirelesswave.ca/

Good Luck

RG

If you have an unlocked GSM phone then get a SIM pay as you go with either 7-11 or PetroCanada. They both piggy-back on the Rogers network and provide affordable text/call/data. Although I prefer 7-11 PetroCanada is Canada wide. 7-11 has withdrawn itself from some Canadian cities e.g. Ottawa.

I agree. This is my hobby phone solution across Canada (except in the NWT... no Rogers coverage up there). Very cost effective if you have a compatible phone and go the SIM (or microSIM) route... only $10!!. I give the nod to 7-Eleven because all purchased minutes are good for 365 days! And you can buy online, so you no longer have to visit a physical store to purchase phones, SIMs, or minutes (Google speakout7eleven for info). Incidentally, 7-Eleven still has lots of stores in western Canada.