Need a new PC, what should I get?

I don't agree with Mod here at all, don't bother with a Mac. HP, & Dell are fine, but so are Acer, Gateway, and Emachines. HP & Dells have all of the same problems as "low-end" brands as Acer. That's because all PC's these days, including those overpriced Macs are made by maybe 6 manufacturing houses in Taiwan. If you have a one year manufacturer's warranty, you're pretty safe, even safer if you go for the extended warranties from the store, and you can just bring the machine back to the store.

Also, always consider AMD processors, they may not be the top processors on the block anymore, but they are usually the fastest processors at various price ranges.

I still make my own PCs, as I prefer the flexibility of choosing my own parts. But if I wasn't so picky, I could easily see that even some of the cheaper PCs these days may do 85% of what I usually do with it. And always choose the cheapest one that will do what you need it to do.

In the past I used to always create my own PC and spend more doing it, to make sure I got a quality machine with select components. The computer I use now was my first that I didn't select the components...I just took what was there. I got it for free so that was easy!

It's been great...as good as any other I've owned....so I'm leaning heavily towards a point and shoot purchase, something cheap and set it up in the office and maybe get a laptop to roam around with.

If I was still into programming and creating websites and things I might want more power and specifics, but nowadays it's pretty much a utensil.

I hear ya, these days I just tell people to buy ready-made PCs too, they're a lot cheaper, and nobody does their own upgrades these days anyways.