Best router for wifi boost: suggestions?

I think I'm going to have to set up a router as a wifi relay to boost signal. Any suggestions on best make and model (that won't set me back the price of a session)? I hear some have built-in repeater capability.

I'd also welcome hearing from anyone who's been through the process of setting something like this up.

TIA!

Guest S*rca****sid

It's not too hard to set up a relay. There are plenty of online resources depending on the router you choose. Feel free to PM me.

It's not too hard to set up a relay. There are plenty of online resources depending on the router you choose. Feel free to PM me.

Yes, I've been doing my homework online, and it looks straightforward enough. Now I just need to source a router. I know of several makes that supposedly offer built-in repeater modes. Just wondering if anyone had a recommendation for one.

WiFi repeaters are almost always a bad idea (unless there is just simply no other way). Because the traffic has to be received by the repeater and then retransmitted on to the WiFi client computer it cuts the available bandwidth in half but that's already been cut in half with 802.11a/b/g standards as it is already half duplex so now you are down to 25% (of course that is the theoretical ideal and never real world, so with a wireless repeater you are probably getting 10% of what you had to start with).

To go the distance, adding another wired in WiFi access point on a different channel, using a sectional (or even highly directional) antenna or even using a work group bridge that goes back to wired (one wireless hop instead of two) is always preferable depending on your circumstances and what you are trying to do. You also have to power this repeater somehow so that assumes you have electrical power so maybe a powerline ethernet converter could work where the power line is used to transmit the data.

Or in other applications a purpose made point-to-point wireless setup (with directional antennas) may be the way to go.

Of course if I knew exactly what you were trying to do and the circumstances I could comment better on the most appropriate and cost effective solution.

If you are just looking to increase coverage between rooms don't over complicate it. just use something like the D-Link DHP-W311AV kit.

It costs about 90 dollars at future shop, so you can probably find it cheaper :). You plug one box in to a power outlet along with an ethernet cable connected to the router, and the other box into a power outlet in the area where you need coverage. it uses the power lines to extend the signal rather than wireless. You wont get a "decent" router for less than that. I use some of the D-Link powerline equipment in my house and it has been rock solid. The only issue is you may end up needing to use different SSID's in different areas of coverage depending how you configure it.

Minimal configuration and less hassles in the long run. The more complex you make it, the more likely you will need to keep tweaking it. Spend a little money to save more time and money down the road but don't over complicate a simple problem

Hope that helps :)

Kelly

• Like 1

... The only issue is you may end up needing to use different SSID's in different areas of coverage depending how you configure it.

It's actually quite beneficial to have multiple WiFi Access Points using the same SSID and encryption key as long as they are on the same wired network (even via power line Ethernet) as long as they are on non-overlapping channels so they don't interfere with each other (just because the channel numbers are different doesn't mean they don't overlap) because then you can move about and roam to the strongest signal even in the middle of a VoIP conversation without interruption.

You are very right about keeping WiFi at home as simple as possible and not over complicating it. I've engineered some very large commercial WiFi networks but without the benefit of an engineer, keep it simple.

WiFi extenders or repeaters are quite counter productive except in the most unusual of circumstances. I would always use power line Ethernet over a repeater if I could and to provide the next door neighbor Internet access an inexpensive purpose built point to point WiFi link can be used (the EZ Bridge LT is only $199 for the pair and does 3 miles).

I agree with Kellyxo and backrubman -- hopping networks wirelessly is counterproductive. I use DLink over-the-AC adapters at my place to feed a hub in a far corner. It's much faster this way.

After all was said and done, we finally just had Bell install a private line and connection for us. We got one of the new modems, and it's nice!! Ultimately, I'm sure we'll be much happier with this solution.