An interview with Truro Daily News?!

Guest **cely***r***ne

Woke from a nap to the coolest news in my inbox!

The Truro Daily News want to do an interview with me regarding Bill C-36.

I am not that politically intelligent as it all angers me, so I am not really sure what I will say except in very beautifull words that it is all CRAZY.

If the government wanted to control the population this is one way of doing it I suppose, because they will have to clean many more bodies of the streets. What do you think? Should I have this interview?

Im excited, and I will link the interview in the appropriate section!

Great news I would check the interviewers previous articles to find out what type of reporting they have done in the past. That will give you insight.

Proceed cautiously.

• Like 1

Take care and if you proceed make sure you are well prepared. Might even ask them to let you have some of the questions in advance. Sometimes the article doesn't always reflect what so said, they do have constraints on how they write it up.

• Like 2

Go for it. But you should ask for the questions before hand so you know whats in store for you.

• Like 2

|Go look at the In the News section and click on the links to the various other articles. Make notes of the points that you want to make, and in the way you want them to come out.

Make note also of the legal section thread, as knowing that certain things are already illegal, and will continue to be legal is very important when reporters are asking questions about C36.

say things like "in spite of what the Rescue Industry is trying to get people to believe ..... "

:)

• Like 2

Guest **cely***r***ne

I have been studying!

I do not want to come across as a woman in the industry who knows nothing about it..

It just blows my mind that Truro was even aware of this issue and that there was reputable sex workers here! Back to my research!

You might ask them in advance what their goal is in talking to you. Sometimes they have a specific plan in mind - "let's interview someone from a group that supports the new law, and an expert who says it will endanger women, and someone in the industry".

Maybe they are looking for a sex worker to say "Parliament does not understand the reality of sex work". Or maybe they want someone to say "I have been exploited all my life, thank heavens Parliament is helping me out". Or they might genuinely have no agenda from the start, but either way it could be worth trying to find out whether what you want to say is what they want to hear - it could matter.

Also, take the lead from politicians and "stay on message". Decide what it is you want to say, and say it, no matter what. It makes no difference what their questions are, your answer should be the message you want to convey!

• Like 5

Hello Maraena

It's been a while.

You are a very intelligent lady with lots to offer. Of course you should do the interview. See if you can get the questions first but if you can't, you know what you want to say so, just relax, take your time and say it in your words. I'm sure it will be great. Let us know whet it will be in the paper, or better yet, send a link to the story.

Great advice from dread pirate Roberts. Do not let them lead you stay with your message with every answer. Also makes it simpler. How you decide to do it.

"Also, take the lead from politicians and "stay on message". Decide what it is you want to say, and say it, no matter what. It makes no difference what their questions are, your answer should be the message you want to convey!"

I would only do email responses to print interviews, as they can construe and tangle your words to easily. As it's been noted, you should research your interviewer.

Guest **cely***r***ne

I have decided to decline the interview.

His questions were too political and I felt they wouldn't reflect what I wanted to say. In no way were they going to be helpful or take the direction I thought they would... Guess that is what happens when you are in a faith based conservative town.

He also was not happy with not knowing my real name or meeting in person. I was not comfortable with this and to be honest, I was quite worried about not representing the voice of consenting sex workers appropriately..

:( Boo. Im sorry

And there is nothing wrong with your decision Maraena. I am totally supportive as your safety and discretion must remain the top priorities, particularly living in a small conservative community. Very often, I think of Halifax as being kind of a big village, so I can imagine what it must feel living elsewhere in NS. Mass media are a means of communication, but mostly it is a business which can easily verse into sensationalism in order to increase sales. The simple fact of asking you to publish the interview using your actual name is a sign of the ignorance of the mostly unspoken rules surrounding discretion that prevail in this business. I would take more seriously an independent researcher/journalist conducting a series of interviews to feed a well-documented study. Hopefully it will happen, here or elsewhere in Canada. And if it's the case, anybody interested by the topic, particularly our decision-makers, would feel the urge to read it before expressing their views publicly.

• Like 3

Great read Maraena. And see that is why we admire you and know how smart and intuitive you are. Often the media already has a pre-determined direction they want to take a story and do so with the belief they are going in the direction their buyers/subscriptions want to hear about. Much of media is also driven by business/advertising and unfortunately not researchers and trying to tell a balanced story.

The citizens of Truro missed out because of the biased view of their media.

But on the positive side....they do have you in their community - and we have you in ours!

XOXO

Cub

Good choice! It is a very tricky decision for sure! I respect you for your thoughtfulness. I was going to state earlier, that for being in such a small and conservative town you may have a difficult time with getting your true voice heard without some kind of fall out:(

Cheers!

Its good that you did your research on what the interviewer was looking for. You dont want to do something thats going to hurt you or your point of view.

Guest R**3*9

Always listen to your instincts. If it feels bad it's probably bad. For a while there I was hoping Truro had an enlightened reporter who was really interested in hearing your story.

If this person couldn't understand why you needed to be cautious then the article would have likely been just as reckless with the issue and your safety.

Bravo again!!!!

That sounds like a sensible decision, Maraena.

Given all the effort you have put into researching and preparing, perhaps you should consider writing a letter to the editor of your local paper or others. Or if you are comfortable speaking and recording, offer to do a radio "Commentary" for Information Morning on the subject.

I'm not trying to pressure you into becoming an unwilling spokesperson, but if you feel the urge to get those opinions out of you and into other people, you do have options.

• Like 1