Reputation Bug?

It seems for some reason that everybody else besides myself appears to have over 10000 reputation points if they have been thanked at least once, even if they only have 1 post and 1 total thanks. Is this a display error of some kind or is there something about the rep system I am misunderstanding?

• Like 1

I didn't read through to see if the answer is in this thread:

http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49126&highlight=points+rules

but I do recall that 'Wrinkle In Time', who is no longer active on the site, provided extensive knowledge of how the system works.

Additional Comments:

Not sure Super Newf, but it may be that you've joined the board so recently that your rep pts haven't been updated yet. Within the last year or so there is a pop-up screen encouraging you to join cerb if you're not signed in - it wasn't there before (i.e. you could view a few posts before being bumped off the site unless registered). The result of this and the requirement for 5 posts before your account won't be moderated is that there are all sorts of members who join and make 5 or more inane posts (and dredge up some very ancient thread to do so!) and then rarely actually contribute to the board.

Not really sure of the answer to your question.

• Like 1

I'm just curious and too damned lazy to look for myself, but the OP said there were users with over 10,000 rep points "even if they only have 1 post and 1 total thanks".

Can someone point me to an example of that, a user with one post and or only one thanks who has over 10,000 rep points, either by posting here or by PM?

Thanks...

For those that don't want read the whole thread on rep points you can go to the last 2 pages. Bit more details of how it works.

I still don't fully understand it. The system only seem to show the top 200 reputation points.

Bottom line, if you want to increase your rep point, post threads that people will give thanks, nominations and rep points.

To me it looks like every single user other than myself has over 10000 rep points no matter who they are. That was what I was confused about.

Well as bcguy42 said, produce an example of someone with just one post and one thanks and that they have 10,000 rep points. It would substantiate your claim

Honestly, with just a couple weeks here I'm wondering why you are so concerned this much about rep points, they don't come overnight, it does take time and most of all as Meaghan McLeod said

"Bottom line, if you want to increase your rep point, post threads that people will give thanks, nominations and rep points."

You have over two thousand points now, follow Meaghan's advice, the points will continue to grow

RG

To me it looks like every single user other than myself has over 10000 rep points no matter who they are. That was what I was confused about.

This is likely because most of the people who respond to your threads have been around for a while, and have received the points over time.

There are plenty of users without them; but, since they may not post often, you don't see them.

• Like 1

I am having trouble finding the rep points on them. Can you point out where you see them? Just one so I can follow please. Also what is a pip?

Thank you.

Firstly, I don't believe rep points are solely generated by amount "Thanks" given. Rather, they're given when someone leaves a comment on your posts using this button as well:

postnotes_nomatte.gif

Secondly, the "rep point system" predates the current platform. Prior to the implementation of the "Thanks" button, members were given the option of adding to ones rep points by agreeing, or *disagreeing with the posts (*which removed rep points). The amount of points given was dependent on who gave the points, the higher the "reputation" of the giver, the higher the points given. Which leads to the situation we have now, that some posters without many "Thanks" or posts may have higher than expected rep points. Now the system allots a predetermined amount of points per "post comment" regardless of who gives those points.

Wow, that ended up being wordier than I anticipated!

Kim

** Edit - As well, if you go to your user CP (upper left hand side of any page) and scroll down to your rep point count you can see your actual total. For instance if you hover over the "rep points bar" on my posts it states I have over 10,000 rep points. In reality I have 37,000, but the system only updates the hover in intervals of over 10,000 - 50,000 - 75,000 - 100,000.

Edited by Kimberly-Shea
  • Like 2

Also time on the board is a factor. I can post 1000 post a day in my first month, but it's not going to be the same as someone who posts 1000 over the year. (My understanding). I looked at a couple of the examples, and even tho one example was still in moderation (less than 5 posts) they have been a member for 2 years.

I'm going to hazard a guess that being on CERB for at least a year gets you rep points. The usernames supplied with low post counts and low thanks (the ones I checked) all signed up over a year ago from today.

If you go to the "New to this..." forum and check the "Hey am new - so I have to post first?" thread, there are many 1 to 6 post with a thank you with very low rep points.

Hmm.. never noticed that correlation before. Now that I've learned something new about Rep Points, I'll leave them alone for another year.

• Like 1

Guest Cr**gCa***ng
It seems for some reason that everybody else besides myself appears to have over 10000 reputation points if they have been thanked at least once, even if they only have 1 post and 1 total thanks. Is this a display error of some kind or is there something about the rep system I am misunderstanding?

I am not even remotely concerned about this as it is the quality of the individual's post(s) is important not the number of coloured icons following their name. Personally, I could care less about them or about receiving them as a person's reputations is built upon their integrity and character. Evaluate the post for what it is and as the old saying goes, "consider the source" as there will be a trend in that area. Rep points do not make the person.

Personally, I really don't care about rep points, numbers, stats, prestige...etc. Whatever evolving rules are in place - It's not as if we get money in the bank or anything.

I just do what I do here because I like it occasionally. I like the conversations, debates, ideas, friendship/enemyship (or any kind of Sh*p). It's just a frigging forum.

People with high postings/reps get banned or suspended on occasion because they pissed off the gods. Some folks with high reps & standings choose to bail. What does that go to prove? - life goes on.

• Like 3

The rep points are not an artifact. They serve a purpose, you gain them when you contribute something other members find valuable. It is exactly what it says it is.... A level of a persons reputation on cerb. Those with more bars contribute more valuable info to the site... Those who post crap don't earn reputation points.

Posting troll questions over and over is not the way to earn reputation (and a lot of members value the rep points)

• Like 3

On 7/27/2014 at 10:49 PM, Meaghan McLeod said:

I am having trouble finding the rep points on them. Can you point out where you see them? Just one so I can follow please. Also what is a pip?

Thank you.

I am a Pip? 😛Snapchat-569235791.jpg.b43812abbfc0247166907b6c06af86ae.jpg j/s 💋