need touristy advice please :)

so I'm driving east this fall.... and as is customary I'm making a vacation out of my tour. I love to visit you guys but I'd also like to see the country and so I need the advice of some experts ;)

I was raised on the coast in Wales, and the only time I've seen the east coast of Canada is from a boat while sailing past. I remember it being very similar to the Welsh coast, and I'm so excited! It's the next best thing to a vacation back home.

I'd like to stop in most major centres for work, but I'm open to detours for some fascinating scenery. I'm in the early planning stages so have no idea exactly when I will be where, or how long I will stay once I arrive. However, with your help I can build a schedule that will allow me plenty of time to misbehave, with some down time to enjoy my holiday.

I'm bringing my bike so keep in mind any awesome bike trails you know of. I do know that I want to drive the bridge to PEI, and take the ferry over to Newfoundland. I'm taking the short ferry cause I don't mind driving, but what route to take and what to stop and see on the way from Port aux Basques to St. John's? probably plenty! I'm open to any advice.

My questions are both work related and touristy ... don't forget to tell me what province or city you're referring to.....

best days to hobby ... weekends or weekdays?

best times to hobby ... morning, afternoon, or evening?

three things I must see in your province while I'm there?

one thing I must see in your city before I leave?

your favourite restaurant?

your favourite scenic walking route, bike trail, or outdoor attraction.

thank you kindly in advance for your assistance ladies and gentlemen! ;)

• Like 1

New Brunswick has a bit of everything. Coastal areas, forest areas, hills, lakes and streams. If you like biking, just outside of Saint John is St Martins. A small fishing village and a great park you can bike or walk seeing the ocean. You can also see the caves at low tide. This is the funds trail. Saint John also has the reversing falls where at high tide it pushes the Saint John river back and is great for jet skis. Just ignore the pulp mill lol.

Lots more to see but thought a good start.

• Like 1

Spent a night in St John NB last year enroute to my dad's funeral last year.

Stayed at the Delta Brunswick. A comfortable hotel, treated good by staff, but so you know the elevator is key carded.

Just a tidbit of information

RG

• Like 1

Deltas nice but no views of the Harbour. I would prefer the Hiltons instead cause they have nice views.

exactly what I hear...I've got my hotel locations all figured out thanks to great advice from my touring mentor (thanks doll you know who you are xoxo)

I just need to put it all together once I've got some good tourist destinations to visit :)

You're more than welcome to visit us here in moncton NB! I worked in tourism here so I can tell you, it's a very fun city. The tidal bore park in Moncton is a must see, as the tide comes in in a wave down a narrow river. The Hopewell Rocks just outside Moncton are great, they're big flowerpot shaped rocks carved out of cliffs by water, as well as the highest tides anywhere in north america. Fundy National Park has great walking and biking trails, if you want to see woods, cliffs, and waterfalls.

There's so many great places to eat in Moncton I wouldn't know where to begin, but for my money I'd go with Blue Olive. Great Mediteranean and North African food like shwarma, shish taouk, falafel, lamb.

I can't help you with best days around here to book appts, I'm new to this whole game :)

• Like 2

I would second Hopewell rocks in nb, very cool place... Go when the tide is out and you can walk to the base of them... Nice park in the area.

Visit shediac, nb some nice beaches in the area... Home of lobsters there.

Hope this helps.

Edited by conquistador
  • Like 3

If you like adventure, and have some physical strength we have in Fredericton, NB a "Tree go" . This is zip lines, rope bridges and more. You have a guide that brings you. You can do half a tour or a full day tour. It is a lot of fun, challenging and the views are amazing. They have a web sit.

If stopping In Fredericton to work, your best dates are the 15th( ish) and end of month, as our provincial and federal governments pays fall on those days, Wed-Friday is the best days. Weekends I find are not as busy, unless your a night hawk.

Also In Freddy, there is a river boat tour you may like, also it Docks from Delta, so that may convenient . Is beautiful river, and the boat is modern pontoon with laser lights for night time cruising, and music.

If in PEI, I think lobster season is in late August! Don't miss out:) Also Labour Day weekend , Shania Twain is there for a concert. But there are concerts and festival fun everyday for Canada's 150th . Lots of free concerts too! See what plays are happening at the Confederation Center, I have gone to 3-4 productions and have to say is the best I have ever seen!

Have fun, I am sure you will! Hope to see you visit out little Fredericton!

• Like 2

Lots of great ideas for you but if you are driving, then a quick trip through Hartland is required, it has the longest covered bridge in the world and is impressive.

As for 2 more, Reversing Falls and Hopewell rocks as already mentioned, if you have time and are somewhat interested, Nackawic has the worlds largest Axe too.

If history is your thing, Kings Landing is worthy of a day itself!

• Like 2

in Sussex NB it's the Mural capital of Atlantic Canada plus the most covered bridges in Atlantic canada with the Atlantic balloon fiesta always the weekend after labor day with paid rides available..located centrally between Mctn Saint John & Fredericton..1 hr drive to Fundy Park & Hopewell Rocks 1.5 hrs away...there is lots 2 see @ Atlantic Canada with the friendliest people you will ever meet!!

• Like 2

Passamaquoddy Bay area and St. Andrews perfect day trip if you have wheels (about one hour from Saint John NB). Quaint village and good for whale watching. If more adventurist and have more time, Grand Manan Island for rugged coastline and perhaps more spectacular whale watching. No matter where you go in Atlantic Canada, lots to see, lots to do and you will enjoy. We guarantee it :)

• Like 2

Hi Jessica. How exciting to be planning a trip to the East coast. I hope that you love it.

I have no idea how to answer questions about work - best days, best times of day, etc. I can however make a few suggestions about "Things to do."

Being from PEI, I would say the following. Despite the hype, the very last place that I would suggest to a visitor is the Cavendish beach area. Very commercial, very crowded. The entire North shore is covered with our lovely white sand beaches, and Greenwich which is a separate part of the PEI National Park hosts an amazing beach that will be virtually deserted, even at peak tourist season. Basin Head up on the East end of the Island has an amazing beach where the sand squeaks under your feet.

If you enjoy live entertainment and theater, Confederation Center of the Arts is pretty incredible. I attended a few weeks ago a show that runs all summer at the MacKenzie Theatre called Searching for Abegweit: The Island Songs & Stories of Lennie Gallant, and it was amazing. It is a small intimate theater seating 200 in cabaret style.

A favorite restaurant in Charlottetown is The Pilot House, and for a unique and quaint Island dining experience a lobster dinner at New Glascow Lobster Dinners or Fisherman's Wharf would be recommended.

By the way, nothing is formal in Charlottetown in the summer so whether it be fine dining or theater, you will see dress that includes everything from shorts to women dressed to the nine's.

If you cross from NB on the bridge, then you can take the short ferry trip from Wood Islands at the other end of the Island over to NS without backtracking.

Since you said that you will have your bike, the Confederation Trail along the water by St. Peter's is spectacular (and flat. :) ) It is very close as well to Greenwich.

In NS since you will be in Cape Breton to grab the ferry to Newfoundland, the Cabot Trail would be my number one recommendation.

Be aware that though it may look small on a map, the Maritimes, and then to add on Newfoundland is a huge undertaking timewise, and there is no way to see it all.

I spent all of one summer camping in Newfoundland. Gros Morne is fabulous, and the hiking is beyond. BE VERY CAREFUL OF MOOSE! They are everywhere there! It is also a long drive across Newfoundland and they don't call it the Rock for nothing. Side trips off of the highway to coastal towns are worth doing. Don't miss the birds at Cape St Marys.

So much to do. :) Feel free to PM if you'd like any more detail or if I could be of help. Have fun planning and doing!

MN2

• Like 2

Holy wow! You should all work for the tourism department! You all are so knowledgable. How nice to hear so much enthusiasm and pride!

This is helpful beyond words I almost have more to think about lol but I'm so grateful to you all. Hugs!

• Like 4

Be aware that though it may look small on a map, the Maritimes, and then to add on Newfoundland is a huge undertaking timewise, and there is no way to see it all.

MN2

I've made some changes to my plans with this in mind ...and although you're probably still right here, I think I've left myself enough time to see some sights! I've got time to spend in the Bay of Fundy, Cape Breton, and travelling across the Rock. So exciting!

• Like 1

so wow.... got to say that I think NB was my favourite province to visit!

I took all your advice and did see as much as I could! I made it to St. Andrews, what a lovely village, drove the Fundy trail, stopped at Cape Enrage and at Hopewell Rocks at both high and low tide. Fabulous!!

I did make it to the tidal bore in Truro but not the one in Moncton. However, I made a day trip over to Parlee beach which was lovely!!

Also had some fun in PEI, I dined at Brothers 2 in Summerside and enjoyed the "Bib & Butter" experience..mmmm! drove the coast to West Point, then to the North Cape ..holy windmills!! I stopped briefly at Cavendish Beach too!

Thanks again for your help it made my trip most enjoyable!!

• Like 3