good websites to find cheap flights

I don't travel much, so I thought I'd ask some of you more savvy folks: what are some good sites to use to find cheap flights?

I have impulsively decided to fly to Atlanta, Georgia for a week, for a close friend's birthday May 31-June 7.

Tips, suggestions appreciated :)

Thanks!

Erin

Guest e**m***h

Hi Erin

Flightnetwork is probably one of the easiest and most dependable to use, and has the benefit of monitoring price drops.

http://www.flightnetwork.com

A word about the airport (Hartsfield-Jackson) in Atlanta - it tends to really damn busy (and unfortunately not too efficient at times) - it is a hub for a few American carriers. Nearly missed a few flights waiting in unbelievable security line-ups there (very unpredicatable), so leave lots of time to catch your flight coming home!

Good Point Liqour, as that is what I would do as well. Ottawa International has no direct flights to Atlanta according to their departures for today. Driving to Massena or Syracuse NY and getting a direct flight from there could be a lot cheaper.

I used Syracuse for a departure to Florida, and saved several hundreds of dollars. The parking was not that expensive.

I got my tickets for vegas from travelocity.com

sometimes its cheaper to get a ticket that has 1 stop.

it will take some time to get the right price your looking for so visit all the websites that you can book an online flight and compare.

cheaptickets.com, travelocity, expedia, last minute club, orbitz,

The actual arline websites frequently have the best deals but there are some secrets:

Buy as early as you can. Last minutes fares are good but way too risky to wait.

North America: Find out who flies to that destination using Travelocity or Expedia then go to the actual airline's website. Usually will be cheaper. If you use Expedia or Travelocity, codeshare flights will generate cheaper fares since the partner airline bulk buys the tickets. Continental and US Airways tickets on Air Canada planes are almost always cheaper.

Europe/Rest of the World (but sometimes good for North America): redtag.ca is another option. They are a wholesaler that has permission to sell retail. Usually better for Europe. They sometimes have good deals for North America as they also bulk buy.

Charters or simliar (Canjet/Porter/Transat etc) always great prices but little flexibility. If you don't mind you'll save money.

Travel Agents: They access fares website don't. Ask for Consolidator fares. They are cheap! Most agents don't sell them because comissions are low. This is how you see the $299 flights to Europe occasionally advertised. They get you in the door with these. Those are usually bulk bought consolidator charter fares.

There are a few more but since it's just Atlanta I won't list the other ;)

Hope this helps.

Good Point Liqour, as that is what I would do as well. Ottawa International has no direct flights to Atlanta according to their departures for today. Driving to Massena or Syracuse NY and getting a direct flight from there could be a lot cheaper.

I used Syracuse for a departure to Florida, and saved several hundreds of dollars. The parking was not that expensive.

I don't have a car guys! And I don't care about direct flights. This is an adventure!

I've been looking at various sites, it's looking like about $500 roundtrip, but with at least one stopover.

I don't have a car guys! And I don't care about direct flights. This is an adventure!

I've been looking at various sites, it's looking like about $500 roundtrip, but with at least one stopover.

I got my flight for vegas for $444.56 flying Delta Airlines, so its very possible to find your flight and budget just search alot online and compare from different websites, direct airline website and many airline booking websites and do it early as possible.

While I agree with Riley about the online searches, it must be known that Ottawa International Airport is not the in the same league in terms of choice as Pearson in Toronto. I found that out very quickly after moving to the capital after a number of years in the GTA.

Delta airlines is probably your best bet, their hub is in Atlanta. Pete is right about Syracuse though... and you can catch a bus from Ottawa to Syracuse daily... from there it is a short jaunt down to Hotlanta.....

Thats actually pretty good. I used to travel there weekly for about a year and $500 is great. I just checked last minute fares and those are $397, Air Canada has a seat sale right now.. you might want to jump on it..

There's always the Greyhound - to Syracuse, perhaps?

Ok, so plans have changed slightly.

Now, I'm looking to leave June 2 or 3, come back June 9 or 10th.

I'm looking to fly into Huntsville, AL now too. Also, in terms of money, would it be much cheaper (and how much more difficult) to fly out of Atlanta or Nashville (my friend will give me a ride to either place) to head home?

I mean, do I book those separately? Seriously, I feel like such a noob.

I'm planning on booking tomorrow, I'm just getting some funds together ;)

Erin

Hey, Erin, is there a travel agency at the university? If so, they might used to dealing with "poor students" and will have the best idea of which airlines you want to use, different routings (e.g. Toronto, Montreal, Chicago, Minneapolis, Detroit) which might save you a bit of money. Even if not, for someone not experienced with travel, an agent might be a good idea, or you could find yourself faced with surprises eg. extra luggage fees, you weren't expecting. Plus, if you run into trouble (hey, who knew Iceland would blow up?), they are a resource to call upon to help you get out.

And no, I'm not a travel agent. ; )

Actually it won't make much of a difference if you fly into one airport and leave from another.. The airlines are zone based. It's mostly about seating availability.