Is it me, or are a bunch of posts in the last few days being deleted? Maybe I am crazy, but on several occasions, I have read comments on threads, then when new comments on said threads show up, earlier ones have disappeared?

• Like 1

Is it me, or are a bunch of posts in the last few days being deleted? Maybe I am crazy, but on several occasions, I have read comments on threads, then when new comments on said threads show up, earlier ones have disappeared?

Some threads get deleted after someone complains to Mod about a thread or post and then he decides to either close or delete the thread

Not a case of censorship but a case of perhaps the OP of a thread crossed Lyla rule lines

Just a guess

RG

While I'm in no position to speak to the question of posting deleted, there is a parallel concern which has cropped up since the recent legal changes in Canadian law which has had a very sad impact on this site and many others as well. That is the censorship of certain words and phrases in order to protect the site from legal prosecution. (On a side note: Is there an official list which users can referred to before writing their comments?)

For all involved in this industry this is an assault on free speech and indeed hampers open and honest discussion. Canadians have lost their right to free speech, and as yet this has not been challenged. I am personally worried that this is a "slippery slope" situation which could lead to further social rights erosion. Ultimately we will see the demise of Bill C-36, but we have to find a way to discuss this openly in order to bring about this change.

This is a very sad time for Canada, and one I never thought I would see.

PatrickGC

• Like 3

AFAIK, posts that break the rules are quite often deleted by Mod - especially negative stuff or things that he considers likely to trigger an argument. That may be what happened here.

While I'm in no position to speak to the question of posting deleted, there is a parallel concern which has cropped up since the recent legal changes in Canadian law which has had a very sad impact on this site and many others as well. That is the censorship of certain words and phrases in order to protect the site from legal prosecution. (On a side note: Is there an official list which users can referred to before writing their comments?)

http://www.lyla.com/censortext.txt. It was originally in this thread.

For all involved in this industry this is an assault on free speech and indeed hampers open and honest discussion. Canadians have lost their right to free speech, and as yet this has not been challenged. I am personally worried that this is a "slippery slope" situation which could lead to further social rights erosion. Ultimately we will see the demise of Bill C-36, but we have to find a way to discuss this openly in order to bring about this change.

This is a very sad time for Canada, and one I never thought I would see.

PatrickGC

Yes, it's a shame, but since things changed it has just been a case of playing it safe. My feeling is that the longer we go without anyone in LE really seeming to give a damn about persecuting consenting adults enjoying themselves in private (which is sensible), the more things will gradually return to where they were previously.

The concept of free speech is wonderful and one I support. But it applies to an open democracy. Lyla is not an open democracy but a private discussion board where the members have to abide by the rules of the owners of the board. Yes we are relatively free to discuss what we want but within the confines of the rules of the owners of the board

A late night, or is it early morning rambling

RG

Yes, it's a shame, but since things changed it has just been a case of playing it safe. My feeling is that the longer we go without anyone in LE really seeming to give a damn about persecuting consenting adults enjoying themselves in private (which is sensible), the more things will gradually return to where they were previously.

Thank you Phaedrus for the censored word list and a link pointing to the original thread. This will come in very useful since all my messages are composed using voice dictation and then pasted into the various discussion threads.

In years to come the current state of affairs I believe will be viewed in very much in the same light as the failed probation period in American history.

PatrickGC

Also, those threads where members are enquiring about "has anybody seen..." and post links to ads on other sites that are contain content that is not in compliance with the rules on Lyla, risk having those posts reported and subsequently removed.

Any ads or websites out there that promote anything other than money exchanged for companionship only should raise a red flag to begin with.

Further more, to create a post and link to such ads is not only fair to those of us who are complying with the policies here, but also tacky on part of the poster to assume it's okay to do so because those ads do not originate from this site.

As RG would say, just a few ramblings...

• Like 1

The concept of free speech is wonderful and one I support. But it applies to an open democracy. Lyla is not an open democracy but a private discussion board where the members have to abide by the rules of the owners of the board. Yes we are relatively free to discuss what we want but within the confines of the rules of the owners of the board

A late night, or is it early morning rambling

RG

Yes Roamingguy, I understand the position of the Council in this regard, and the fact that they are legally responsible at the end of the day. I know all too well, after fighting a number of my own personal legal battles with government over the years, that the site cannot afford any controversy.

However at the same time I find myself getting very worried about the bigger picture of society in general. With bills like C-36, quite effectively, putting gag orders on the general discussions extending far beyond just this site. This is a trend I see in various political realms. This is what I was referring to, as well as the present situation here.

I have seen huge changes over the relatively short life span of the Internet. If you remember when Windows XP was brand new and Microsoft rolled out their first automatic updates service people were gravely concerned about privacy and related issues. Today, people seem to just accept things without critical thought. That disconnection and resulting apathy tend to centralize decision-making and disempower people.

If the Internet were created today in the current political and social climate with sites like this even exist? To say nothing on the Internet itself.

Apologies, now I'm rambling... time to hit the hay.

PatrickGC

• Like 4