Sign in to follow this  

Timeouts when clciking on links to "show full image" etc...

Hi,

I use the latest version of Firefox (now at v 42.0). They lost points recently by arbitrarily disabling and preventing any "Flash" content. Unfortunately lots of sites (including Lyla.com) still require it. So, I Googled how to re-enable Flash in settings. It is now works again. Here is my main outstanding problem/question:

I have no problem viewing images when the link is direct to the image (usually see .jpeg at the end of the URL). HOWEVER, whenever I see prompts like "Click here to view full size or /large images, a pop-up appears, it is black and obscures the web page. (Theater mode). Presumably a picture should appear but all I get is a circular rotating progress indicator that uses bars to indicate it is accessing. HOWEVER,it is an endless "HANG" (think of Windows and it's famous hourglass). :)

So, I notice this is used a lot in the Social Groups I belong to. Unfortunately it means that I am missing a lot of image content. :( Any ideas why this is happening?) It is specific to links that cause this "black popup" to appear. I have confirmed that Flash is working.

Appreciate any feedback, suggestions and best of all solutions to this problem. Thanking you in advance.

Edited by MoodyBlue
Urgent need for help.

I believe the problem is with the link itself and nothing to do with your computer. The link is "dead" and the line "Click here to view full size or /large images" appears in the post. If the link was good or still active you would see a small thumbnail of the image.

I have noticed it a few times in old posts.

• Like 1

I very much appreciate that you took the time to reply. This one had been driving me crazy for some time. Your explanation seems very sound but you do mention that you have encountered this especially in old posts. Problem is, I am seeing it happen on SP provider profiles (active, current). But, in fairness, I will have to confirm that those posts themselves were not old links as well.

I've found the prevalence and number of such links to be fairly wide, so, either I have not paid close attention to dates (quite possible) or I still have a problem. The only way I see to get a definite confirmation is that I will either use IE 11 (ugh) or I will install Google Chrome with a restore point. In any event, it should answer the question. I feel secure and well protected using Firefox but can't say the same for Internet Explorer or Google Chrome. I had hoped to avoid having to do this, but, I will use Revo Uninstaller Pro, so, should be OK to try Google Chrome. I use a VPN provider and I subscribe to Peerblock for extra "protection".

Thanks again for taking the time to reply, I hope yours is the correct answer. Meanwhile, when I see these links, I'll try to take note if there are dates attached. Get back to you with my findings as soon as the "experiment" is done. :)

Regards,

MoodyBlue

OK, eating my words from my previous post. I conducted my test today, I'm currently using Google Chrome and to my surprise it was not a browser or add-don issue after all since Chrome has the exact same issue as Firefox did.

So thank you Dunstan and I quote;

"I believe the problem is with the link itself and nothing to do with your computer. The link is "dead" and the line "Click here to view full size or /large images" appears in the post. If the link was good or still active you would see a small thumbnail of the image.

I have noticed it a few times in old posts."

Your answer is 100% correct. Pity.. a lot of inaccessible data. Maybe Lyla will purge these numerous links/posts?

SIDE-NOTE: LOOKOUT FIREFOX!

I'm very impressed with Google Chrome and while it keeps improving, Firefox seems to be going in the opposite direction by arbitrarily trying to "protect me" they disabled Flash , they now block access to certain sites and keep strangling the freedoms that made open source Firefox my #1 browser for as long as I can remember. I really dislike the failure to notify and give us a choice.

Chrome on the other hand is now fast, has lots of great features, runs smoother (scrolling a page for instance) and the fonts and display just look crisper. Given that I always run what I consider personal sites in "Incognito" mode and I use Peerblock, a VPN service, ESET NOD32, Malware Bytes and good browser addons, I now feel quite confident that my privacy is much better protected than its ever been. This now makes using Google Chrome a very viable browser. So far, I'm liking what I see and I can see why they have pushed into #1 browser position.

Regards to all,

MoodyBlue