Worst & Best Gifts-given/gotten

Well,

It's that time of year again. Got back in my home town of Ottawa and it snowed finally. Anyways. I have been packing gifts this afternoon and got me thinking about gifts I have gotten and given.

I'd say the best gift I have ever got was a CD Walkman, when I was a teenager. Worst would have to be 6 month old, expired skinny cow bars.

Best gift I had given was a tablet. Worst gift I have given, Briefs, However they were fancy smancy briefs and orange, his favourite colour. All in all, not REALLY a bad gift.

I'm feeling festive!!

Guest st*****ens**ors

My best gift received was a desk; an ugly lumpy thing that my father had made for me. He rarely paid attention to me or my siblings, and the evidence of thought was something I never expected. I still have it.

Best gift given? A puppy to my children. I doubt I'll ever be able to top it!

My best gift received was a desk; an ugly lumpy thing that my father had made for me. He rarely paid attention to me or my siblings, and the evidence of thought was something I never expected. I still have it.

Best gift given? A puppy to my children. I doubt I'll ever be able to top it!

Yeah, had the same type of thing with one of the parentals, hence the skinny cow bars!

You always top the puppy with a Unicorn! hahaha

My mum has teeny dogs and I went all out this year and even got them this year. Yes, I am FULLY aware dogs, have no idea what Christmas is but I love giving!

Guest st*****ens**ors

I knew there was one step above a puppy!

Of course all the literature suggests that obtaining one requires great purity of spirit or the lap of a virgin. There are only four shopping days left until Christmas! Now where am I going to find...

My worst Christmas present ever was a dictionary.

The worst I ever gave was when I was 6. I bought a poppy for Remembrance Day at the mall, with no idea what it was or meant. I thought it was a brooch. It was carefully wrapped and my Mother opened it on Christmas Day.

She wore it for months.

Best gift received: a Dobsonian style telescope with a five inch mirror, which is pretty good for an amateur scope, back in 1998. As a massive astrophile, it was the best gift ever. Sadly I do not have the scope any longer, but do plan to buy a new one; though I am leaning away from Dobsonians and into the more compact - and fully computerized - Meade scopes.

Worst gift received: a Bible. For someone who is an atheist and values scientific reason and logic over pseudoscience, logical fallacies and fairy tales, it was an astoundingly poor choice. I am polite but don't mess around when people get pushy with me so I told the person that I will not accept their gift. They didn't make a fuss but we never spoke again. I actually would loved a dictionary or a proper encyclopedia set.

Best gift given: a $300 sleeping bag to a friend who was preparing for an intense wilderness survival/training something or other course. It was practical and luxurious.

Worst gift given: probably all the gift cards I've given people when I half-assed things over the years. I try to give gifts that are practical and well-suited to the person I give it to. But even I have a hard time figuring some folks out, so I get lazy and just give them a gift card. They're happy enough with it, but secretly I know I could have done better.

• Like 1

Best gift: passes to my favourite artist's farewell tour, including a pre-show meet & greet and soundcheck. Bonus points: money for these meet and greets went to a charitable fundraiser.

Worst gift: a (now-ex) partner offered to give me lingerie he had purchased for his previous girlfriend. ("But she never wore it!")

Best gift given: Taking a friend on a vacation after she ended a very long-term relationship.

• Like 2

Best gift received: a Dobsonian style telescope with a five inch mirror, which is pretty good for an amateur scope, back in 1998. As a massive astrophile, it was the best gift ever. Sadly I do not have the scope any longer, but do plan to buy a new one; though I am leaning away from Dobsonians and into the more compact - and fully computerized - Meade scopes.

Worst gift received: a Bible. For someone who is an atheist and values scientific reason and logic over pseudoscience, logical fallacies and fairy tales, it was an astoundingly poor choice. I am polite but don't mess around when people get pushy with me so I told the person that I will not accept their gift. They didn't make a fuss but we never spoke again. I actually would loved a dictionary or a proper encyclopedia set.

Best gift given: a $300 sleeping bag to a friend who was preparing for an intense wilderness survival/training something or other course. It was practical and luxurious.

Worst gift given: probably all the gift cards I've given people when I half-assed things over the years. I try to give gifts that are practical and well-suited to the person I give it to. But even I have a hard time figuring some folks out, so I get lazy and just give them a gift card. They're happy enough with it, but secretly I know I could have done better.

I'm a gift card giver to, when I'm stumped. This year I even gave a multi-gift card to my friend. This year was about trying to get something lovely for al those special in my life. I'm giving my friend a 100$ gift card to get some groceries as he was mugged last week and a new hand bag, hoping it be very thoughtful to him.

I love trying to get all creative and deep and ALWAYS write a page long story about mine and the other person's relationship. I always try to bring others up and never down and giving is my strong suite. I give with my entirety of my heart so when I am stumped, I feel like the biggest ass.

Now I just have little detective interviews with my loved ones if I need creative ideas. Works MUCH better.

Additional Comments:

Best gift: passes to my favourite artist's farewell tour, including a pre-show meet & greet and soundcheck. Bonus points: money for these meet and greets went to a charitable fundraiser.

Worst gift: a (now-ex) partner offered to give me lingerie he had purchased for his previous girlfriend. ("But she never wore it!")

Best gift given: Taking a friend on a vacation after she ended a very long-term relationship.

You sound like an AMAZING friend. Makes my heart melt :)

• Like 2

Guest n*gu**6

Probably the best gift I ever received hands down, was my son. He is truly a gift to me. The worst gift I ever received was a riding saddle. It was a beautiful saddle, but I'm terribly allergic to horses...my wife enjoyed it very much though. Fortunately when she picked it out for me, she made sure it was comfortable for her as well. Hahaha

Best Gift Ever received was an I love you made card from all my kids one year many moons ago while i was working overseas ..

Worst Gift Ever was this year all the phone calls, texts, and emails from my " family and Friends " when they discovered my " Job "

Best Gift Given was a disney package to terminal ill child and family from " santa "

Worst Gift Given was my ex's GF forgot her panties and I gift wrapped them and gave them to him with a " get the fuck " out my life note on Christmas Night

• Like 3