Toronto dead last in Sex Survey

Guest W***ledi*Time

JessicaMurphy reports for QMI, 22 Sept 2010:

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2010/09/21/15432446.html

MONTREAL - Sorry Toronto fellas, it seems Montreal and Vancouver women are having more sex than their Hogtown counterparts.

In a new survey of 18-to-24-year-old Canadian women, 55% of Montrealers said they had sex on a regular basis, compared to 47% of Vancouver women and 40% of Toronto women.

By region, Ontario also came in dead last, the study by market research firm Vision Critical for drug company Merck Frosst indicated.

While 42% of Ontario respondents said they made love on a weekly basis, 59% of Prairie women and 55% of Quebec women said they often heated things up in the bedroom.

Montreal-based clinical sexologist Julie Pelletier puts the findings down to La Belle Province being just a bit more laissez-faire about that kind of thing.

"We laugh about sex, but we're open to informative talk as well," she said.

In her experience, that openness allows Quebec women to feel guilt-free about - and in control of - their sex lives.

"People live their sexuality through what they know," she said.

The study also asked young women about birth control habits and who they confided in about sex.

It suggested most women gravitate to the birth control pill and male condoms for contraception, and indicated the majority of women (58%) prefer get information about sex from their girlfriends rather than their doctor (5%). Another 22% prefer to keep their sex lives completely private.

"There's still a lot of people who feel shy talking about sex," Pelletier admitted, fretting these young women could be missing out on key information about contraception and STIs.

"People are sexually active and use contraception, but are they using what's best for them?" she said.

"Women need to take responsibility and seek out the best information."

And for those Torontonians contemplating a move to another city for its open-minded fairer sex, the sexologist recommends they take the survey with grain of salt.

"We may all have a little exaggeration gene," she noted with a laugh.

The sample size for the study was 1,002. Vision Critical said the survey was reliable within 3.1 per cent 19 times out of 20.

Informative, but to be taken lightly, somewhat. They've looked at only one particular age group (18-24) which is more open to sex than "older" generations.

Cant speak for the other cities, but montreal does have a reputation for it's openness, which isnt bad in itself....

I don't know about that. I became much hornier after I turned 30! :bddog: When I was younger, I considered sex to be something that you shared with someone you cared about simply because it was expected, so I guess I wasn't really into it.