Virginia man arrested for indecent exposure for being naked in his own home

Eric Williamson was making coffee in his kitchen Monday morning and didn?t thing anything of the fact that he was nude since he was alone in the house, according to WTTG-TV.

But a woman and her 7-year-old son happened to be strolling through his front yard and saw the 29-year-old having breakfast in the buff through his window.

They called the cops on Williamson and he was arrested for indecent exposure, according to the Fox station.

The man argued that he had no idea he could be seen, but cops believe he wanted people to see him like that.

?If I stood and seemed comfortable in my kitchen, it's natural. It's my kitchen,? Williamson told the station.

He faces a year in jail and a $2,000 fine, but plans to fight the charge.

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/2009/10/22/2009-10-22_virginia_man_arrested_for_indecent_exposure_for_being_naked_in_his_own_home.html

Guest W***ledi*Time

ha ha ... this is a straightforward application of the old saw:

If a man stands naked at a window and is observed by a woman, he is an exhibitionist.

If a woman stands naked at a window and is observed by a man, he is a voyeur.

Do we have a law like that in Canada ?

A person on your property, uninvited, is not a trespasser if you are naked. ?

Guest W***ledi*Time

Criminal Code of Canada, Section 174:

Every one who, without lawful excuse ... is nude and exposed to public view while on private property, whether or not the property is his own, is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction ...For the purposes of this section, a person is nude who is so clad as to offend against public decency or order.

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/C-46/page-4.html#anchorbo-ga:l_V

The only Federal trespassing law relates to trespassing at night (Section 177); otherwise trespassing falls to provincial jurisdiction, it seems.

I don't think just being in someone's front yard is generally treated as trespassing; there is also usually a presumption of permission to approach someone's front door. If you are there and the owner asks you to leave and you refuse to do so, then you are trespassing. Some juridictions have provisions for trespassing in the presence of "keep-out" signage and fencing.

Ontario's Trespass to Property Act:

http://www.canlii.org/en/on/laws/stat/rso-1990-c-t21/latest/rso-1990-c-t21.html

(Above is only my flawed understanding, since I'm not a lawyer.)

If a man stands naked at a window and is observed by a woman, he is an exhibitionist.

That is freaking funny, but sadly true! I don't know many men who would be offended by seeing a young woman standing naked in a window, let alone call the police. I think most would stand and stare and get mad if she leaves! haha:tresmauvaisehumeur:

Yeah! I know it's unbelievable.He was in his own property in his own house.
  • Like 1