Pooner Diaries: My Valentine

I turn to look out the hotel room window. It's gloriously sunny and warm out there, and I squint out into the bright sunshine. It's a marvel to see that the winter is receding, spring lurking around every corner. Tendrils of green poke out and greet the February sun.

I'm alone here. It's quiet, no sound in the room except the humming of my computer, the occasional hoot of the pigeons as they contemplate their spring courtship. I'm far from home, and a little lonely.

It would be so easy to change that little bit of loneliness, and yet it would be so hard at the same time. Oh, finding willing company would be easy. All it would take would be a phone call, an email, a text message to my old playmate here. And truth be told, it would be nice to see her again, to catch up with our worlds, to feel her skin again and taste those lips.

But this is a different world now. And I'm a different man than the one who first strode through her door. My lady here would leave my room, or I would leave her home, and I know now that loneliness would rush back into my life as soon as the door clicked shut. Her brief absence would leave a vacuum, my loneliness redoubled, knowing that I had no business calling her unless the prospect of a transaction was involved. That loneliness would be the harsh hangover after the night before, the subtle price that would have to be paid but never to be whispered about.

I want to fill these lonely hours. But I want to fill them with a lady far away, far out of my fingertips' reach but never far from my mind. I met her as Birdboy, gentle poetry from my heart whispered into her ear. Words for her and her alone. And she met me as her alter ego as well. Gentle, loving, a laugh as light as the spring air, a twinkle in those blue eyes like light sparkling off of a newly thawed brook.

I got to know her well. And I found that behind that soft voice and warm lips lay passion and heat befitting her strawberry red hair. And she found my playful wisecracking side and we laughed and played well into the night on many a winter's eve.

And as time went on, we became friends. And the thing I marvel over is that even after we had shed our alter egos, felt free to be ourselves, that we were more like them than I had ever imagined. I had poetry in my heart and it spilled out my fingertips as I wrote to her. I whispered soft words of affection befitting my feathered alter ego as I nuzzled her ear. And she held me in her warm embrace, brashness and fury gone, as she took away my loneliness in a way that only satisfied. Leaving me wanting only for the next time.

She brings a smile to my face as I think of her now. And though she is miles away, her memory brings her close to me. And on today, the day of lovers, the day of greeting cards, roses and chocolates, I want to wish her a heartfelt Valentine's day. For those commercial things, those hackneyed trappings don't come close to what I want to say to her as I brush back her hair and bring my lips to her ear.

I'm a very lucky man indeed. And I wish all of you a sincere Valentine, my friends, my fans. I wish you all the warmth that I feel from her. May you all find happiness in this business that can be so lonely, so shallow.

And may my lady read my words and smile.

Well done Birdboy. No hackneyed mass-produced words for our wordsmith. No siree.

BB shoots straight from the heart with a sentimentality that is not mushy and overpowering but rather one that is restrained and emphatic. One feels the mutual attraction between the parties while at the same time respecting the boundaries they have established for themselves.

Another chapter, Birdboy for that eventual erotic tome.:bigclap:

Well done Birdboy. No hackneyed mass-produced words for our wordsmith. No siree.

BB shoots straight from the heart with a sentimentality that is not mushy and overpowering but rather one that is restrained and emphatic. One feels the mutual attraction between the parties while at the same time respecting the boundaries they have established for themselves.

Another chapter, Birdboy for that eventual erotic tome.:bigclap:

My thanks, Mutau, once again. But surely you are no stranger to wordsmithery as well- are you not? You're polite, erudite, about your lavish praise, never contrite. ;)

Wow this is amazing - happy valentines bb
Ah, my pretty young fan... thank you. A happy belated Valentine's day to you as well!