Sign in to follow this  

Bedford urges Wynne, Tory not to enforce new anti-prostitution law

Stephen Maher
Published: November 14, 2014, 7:19 pm

[URL]http://o.canada.com/news/bedford-urges-wynne-tory-not-to-enforce-new-anti-prostitution-law[/URL]

Terri-Jean Bedford called on Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne and Toronto Mayor John Tory to refuse to enforce the federal governmentâ??s new anti-prostitution laws as she prepared to accept an award honouring her 20 years of fighting for sex workersâ?? rights.

Bedford, a retired dominatrix, received the second annual Ontario Civil Liberties Association award in Ottawa on Friday, a tribute to her key role in a court battle that last year struck down the countryâ??s prostitution laws.

In response, the Conservative government has brought in a new law â?? Bill .... â?? that puts the legal onus on clients, rather than sex workers, with the goal of shutting down an industry that the government describes as inherently degrading and destructive to women.

Bedford and other sex workers say the new law, which passed the Senate earlier this month, will keep the industry underground, where workers canâ??t get legal protection.

â??The new law is worse than the old law,â? she said Friday. â??Itâ??s so unconstitutional that it canâ??t be enforced. It would be criminal for any government to enforce this law.â?

Bedford said she wants Wynne and Tory to protect the lives of sex workers by instructing Crown prosecutors and police not to enforce it.

â??I think itâ??s really important to test the integrity of our premier and our new mayor, John Tory,â? she said. â??Do they want to continue to see women sacrificed?â?

She said Wynne, who is a lesbian, should sympathize with the plight of sex workers.

â??Premier Wynne, for example, knows all about gay bashing,â? said Bedford. â??It used to be a sport on a Saturday evening for the good old boys. And the sex-trade workers, and the gay sex-trade workers alike fought side by side with the gay rights activists, and won, so I think itâ??s only fair that Premier Wynne show us what sheâ??s made of.â?

â??John Tory is a conservative,â? she said. â??I hope that heâ??s able to play by the party rules. From what I understand, the party doesnâ??t like to get involved in consenting adult behaviour. Theyâ??re right to leave that to the adults.â?

Bedford said she was moved to receive the recognition for her decades of work, and said she wanted to give it to supporters who have worked quietly to help her.

â??There are a dozen supporters of mine who deserve this honour,â? she said. â??Theyâ??re the unsung heroes behind my crusade, my cause. And Iâ??ll probably pass this award to them because they deserve it.â?

Bedford, who operated a bondage dungeon in Thornhill, Ont., until it was shut down by police in 1994, challenged Canadaâ??s prostitution laws in court, leading to last yearâ??s landmark Supreme Court decision finding the laws were unconstitutional.

She last made headlines when she appeared at a Senate committee hearing in September, in her trademark leather.

Bedford was ejected from the hearing after she threatened to name politicians who employ sex workers.

â??If this law passes Iâ??m going to make you guys forget about Mike Duffy, because Iâ??ve got more information and more proof on politicians in this country than you can shake a stick at, I promise,â? she said, smacking the table with her riding crop.

She has since consulted with sex work activists about that decision, receiving mixed messages from them.

On Friday, she wouldnâ??t say whether she still plans to name names.

â??Theyâ??re going to have to wait and see about that,â? she said.

Bedford is struggling to cope with hepatitis C, which sometimes makes it difficult for her to express her ideas clearly in interviews.

She said she is glad that others can take on her fight.

â??The activists are going to take the reins from here on in and make the politicians accountable for their actions,â? she said. â??The activists are what are important now, and the fact that I try to get well.â?

[I][email protected]
@stphnmaher[/I]