I've recently become a Skype user and have been doing a bit of research concerning the privacy of using this type of service.

I like the encryption that Skype offers and I was wondering if it was truly discreet way to place calls without worrying about your phone being tapped?

I can't see how anyone could tap it. I'm a web designer, and I'd be surprised if anyone would be able to do that easily, particularly if your ip is not static.

I've recently become a Skype user and have been doing a bit of research concerning the privacy of using this type of service.

I like the encryption that Skype offers and I was wondering if it was truly discreet way to place calls without worrying about your phone being tapped?

Jessica...I'm not going to lie to you... I get all hot and flustered when

you start talking about technical stuff. :)

I have been using Skype since 2005 I think. I don't think there is any

reason to worry about the privacy issue. Unless you have something super secret

to talk about. Then....who knows.

Posted via Mobile Device

Skype uses a very secure encryption algorithm but like anything else the real vulnerability will reside at your machine. There are also government regulated means for "tapping" into any communications in their countries. There is just as likely means for having cell phone or land line calls monitored.

In the end I think Skype is very secure but keep your machine up to date with anti-virus/spyware and have a properly configured firewall. This and most other "common sense" means for maintaining your machine health and safety will keep you just as safe.

Hey Jessica,

I have used Skype many times to communicate with friends and family at home when one is travelling a great deal. Fantastic, cheap and safe way to communicate as long as the connection is fire-walled and your computer has up-to date virus scan software and a good microphone - so keep talking as much as you wish!!