SlutWalk Toronto April 3, 2011

I just received a link for this event. Unfortunately, I'm in Vancouver, so I won't be there. But I hope that everyone in the Toronto area will do what they can to support this action and to complain about the police attitude toward sexual assault. Women should be able to dress in whatever way they like and have no fear of being assaulted.

http://www.slutwalktoronto.com/

I would go to 'peg for that in a heartbeat. We need to come together as women to fight for our rights!

Posted via Mobile Device

I believe that in Ottawa, it is being organized for April 10, which is the same date as for London's. I am sure if you google "slutwalk Ottawa" you will find out more of the details.

Slut Walk Ottawa is Sunday April 10th, 1:30-4:30pm. I was asked to speak and have chosen to speak about whorephobia and how it's damaging for all women, not just sex workers. You don't need to exchange money for sex to be a whore. Women are called whores for having sex outside of marriage, having more than one partner, wearing a short skirt, etc. This is damaging to women and female sexuality!

Slut Walk Ottawa is Sunday April 10th' date=' 1:30-4:30pm. I was asked to speak and have chosen to speak about whorephobia and how it's damaging for all women, not just sex workers. You don't need to exchange money for sex to be a whore. Women are called whores for having sex outside of marriage, having more than one partner, wearing a short skirt, etc. This is damaging to women and female sexuality![/quote']

That's amazing Megan! Kudos to you. Unfortunately I won't be able to attend.

However, what do you think about what they wrote on the FB event page: "2:00 PM - walk to the Provincial Courts on Elgin Street and let our judges, juries, lawyers, everyone know we will want more convictions and harsher punishments for rapists and sexual predators!"

As a prison abolitionist, I recognize the importance of addressing the 'funneling out' of sexual assault cases in the courts (and also by police officers and other agents of the criminal justice system), but I don't know if more convictions and harsher punishments are the way to go....

This is a question for everyone, not just Megan =)

That's amazing Megan! Kudos to you. Unfortunately I won't be able to attend.

However, what do you think about what they wrote on the FB event page: "2:00 PM - walk to the Provincial Courts on Elgin Street and let our judges, juries, lawyers, everyone know we will want more convictions and harsher punishments for rapists and sexual predators!"

As a prison abolitionist, I recognize the importance of addressing the 'funneling out' of sexual assault cases in the courts (and also by police officers and other agents of the criminal justice system), but I don't know if more convictions and harsher punishments are the way to go....

This is a question for everyone, not just Megan =)

Nathalie! I'm also a prison abolitionist! Yeah, I know the organizers and let's just say...

Some of my close friends tried to jump on the organizing train but then were pushed out a bit because they were too "radical" (sigh).

But yeah, i've been doing a lot of reading about prisons/sexual assault and the research will show time and time again that more incarcerations/harsher penalties do JACK SHIT to lower crime rates (particularly sexual assault crimes) and I'm pretty pissed off that these people who are organizing are taking this perspective. On the other hand, the mainstream prison abolitionist movement has failed to provide the anti-violence movement with viable alternatives for dealing with these awful crimes! Bleh

Sigh sigh sigh!

BUT! I will be marching as a slut and wearing all my pride that day too!

Additional Comments: THIS JUST IN: Folks will no longer be marching to the courts. And the demands are: "to have an introspective analysis into the systemic cause of gendered violence"

• Like 1

Guest tr*****e
"to have an introspective analysis into the systemic cause of gendered violence"

'Introspective analysis?' Why can't people just admit that there's too much hate in the world? No need for fancy language...

Thanks Alexandra! I appreciate the update and I think the new version, which addresses the systemic causes of gendered violence, makes much more sense.

I also agree that the prison abolitionist movement has not provided an adequate framework for addressing certain types of crimes. There is a lot to be said about community justice and shaming though, as well as Indigenous endeavors (including restorative justice).

Thanks Alexandra! I appreciate the update and I think the new version, which addresses the systemic causes of gendered violence, makes much more sense.

I also agree that the prison abolitionist movement has not provided an adequate framework for addressing certain types of crimes. There is a lot to be said about community justice and shaming though, as well as Indigenous endeavors (including restorative justice).

Totally Agreed! (Thank you Andrea Smith!)

Ok, I will stop derailing the thread and back to Slut Walk Ottawa!

I hope SlutWalk Toronto was a success! I couldn't be there, but hope to be there for SlutWalk Ottawa. As if I would miss the excellent Megan speaking!