Pooner Diaries: Retiree

I've posted this tale elsewhere here, but I think that it was getting missed by not being in the lounge. It's a little different from my usual sweet tales. Enjoy.

bb

...............................................||........................................

It's a bittersweet day.

We spoke today when I came to visit. You told me about your new career. I saw the excitement in your eyes, heard the enthusiasm in your voice. It's truly a great opportunity for you, and I know that this is what you always wanted. You're going to move on from this phase of your life. Pull that ad. Close that email address, change your cellphone number. Peel away that identity that you've worked to perfect all these years, like a snake shedding its old skin and past life.

I'm happy for you, I truly am. But I can't help but feel a little sadness at this passing. We've shared a lot of time together, my favorite. We've known a lot of joy together. But beyond that joy and the commercial exchange, we have become friends after a fashion as well.

But our friendship has nowhere to go, both literally and figuratively. I remember the day when we passed by each other in the street. We were both alone, and we could have spoken, I suppose. But discretion requires us to pass by without a word. If anyone was watching us, they would have seen me pass by, a half-smile on my face as I looked away the only clue that we knew each other. And without my coming by every so often to visit, that friendship will wither away from neglect. And I'm just going to let it go.

I asked if I could stay in touch. And I saw the quickly passing flicker in your eyes that told me it wasn't to be, as your words assured me that we would. For I recognized that you were in character then, as the pliant and ever willing woman, eager to please, ready to do my bidding. The woman that I know is not really you, in other words. The woman that will be shed along with this identity. So we will be close by to each other, but miles apart.

This is a strange business. Neither of us is supposed to care, outside that hour. That's not part of the bargain. But it's impossible not to, at least a little. And this change is wonderful for you. It's what you've dreamed about, your goal, your final payoff from your time spent with me and others. So yes, I feel glad for you.

And I feel a little sad, for me.

A story many of us can relate to. Thanks, it does mean a lot to become a friend after. It is rare that it can be that way, but as I mentioned in another thread, I cherish the friendships that have gone beyond this business.

Thanks Birdboy