National Deppression Screening Day

Today, October 6, is National Depression Screening Day. If you want to screen yourself go to http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2011/10/06/national-depression-screening-day-is-today/ and take their 8- or 16-question test.

Some thoughts: Depression is part of my day to day life. It has been since my early teens. It was "manageable", if you consider turning your back on it and pretending it didn't exist a management technique, until the mid-1990s.

About that time the black dogs moved in and almost took over my life.

I had the good fortune at that time to have a GP who was paying attention. He referred me to a kind, compassionate shrink. Together, we came up with a way for me to continue.

The black dogs are still there. They sit beside me most days. But most of the time, most days, I can see past them to a brighter place.

So go take the test. If you come up with something, talk to someone. Don't let the dark dogs win.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 5

For mentioning the disease and its effects on you.

If you have a physical illness you can see or feel it, but depression doesn't work that way. It becomes the way you see your life: it pushes and drags you down into a well of despair from which you can see no way out.

I am struck by the number of people on this board who have the courage to name and out their demons.

with admiration,

CB

I suffer from the black dogs as well. Sometimes it's easy, other times it's hard. But one thing's for sure - knowing what the problem is makes a world of difference. There are so many treatment options now; there's no need to suffer on your own.

On your advise I took the test and actually right now I am much worse off that I expected. The thing is it doesn't matter that much . I have a condition refered to as "cyclothymia" or sometimes Bipolar lite.

For me the downs are never that bad, I function through them and the ups feel wonderful but I think I can controle them. Atleast I use to think I could controle them.

In all my years I have never had so many people say they were offended by what I have to say as the ladies here( and the occassional guy)

So why don't I leave. Well this is the thing. And I would like to know if you and others share this.

Sex is the best cure for my ups and downs. I thinks that medication might bring the ups down but sex brings me in to a stable zone.

Does anyone share this oppintion , or am I wistleing in the dark?

Okay, I've learned something today I'd never heard of Cyclothymia. I took a look at it and I wish you well. If sex helps you get through it, great! One more good thing about sex!

Regarding offending people here, I'm not sure what you are getting at but I have one good piece of advice to anyone. Before you click Submit for that PM or Enter in Chat, wait a few seconds, reread what you wrote, and if it is still all good, send it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

BCguy I am sorry, you missed this point . This is about honesty.

If someone is offended and want to tear a strip instead of trying to understand, I'm O.K. with that. Maybe it is something that they needed to do. Maybe I am helping by provideing this oppertunity.

We all want to be liked, but maybe this is how "cyclothymia " is different than true depression.

"Sticks and stone" don't hurt that much. If you can help someone , that is important.

This is my suggestion (I won't say advise), try for honesty.

Imagine a National Depression Screeming Day.

At work frustrated and in pain, you could give up on the forced smile, spout four letter words, And still keep your job.