Canadian Blood Services

I don't think they should rely on screening only as well. Screening and testing ideally would be the best. I had to give blood to a family member because I was the only one wiling to do it and I had the same bood type. The people belonging to this rare blood type can donnate to all type of blood, but can only receive from the same type. There is only a small pourcentage of people belonging to this type in the world. The biggest population of blood type O negative is found in places like Spain, Iceland, Australia and some reservation across Canada/America, but it's still not much. That's why this blood type is very well in demand. When I knew I had to do it, I went to the clinic by myself and had a blood test. The same day I had the confirmation that everything was fine, I went back to the hospital. If I would not have been fine or if I would have refused, I assume they could have pick someone else in the family or in the community. They still asked me a couple questions, but I didn't have problems with it so far. I signed a paper and it was done. It was a question of life or death. I am very grateful that everything went well after. Other than that, I think most people with O negative blood type should be welcomed to donate their blood to the Red Cross since it's still very much in demand.

Edited by Sexy_LanaMegane
Spelling mistake: GREATFUL or GRATEFUL (still unsure).
  • Like 1